Edinburgh, United Kingdom
The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh. Extraordinary futures await.
The University of Edinburgh, founded in 1583, is an internationally renowned centre for teaching and research. We are widely regarded as one of the most prestigious universities in Europe, consistently placed among the top 50 leading universities in the world* and placed 22nd in the QS World University Rankings 2024.
Our students have been making an impact on the world for more than 400 years. Each year is different – every individual, every degree, every campus experience is unique and a vital part of our mission to make the world a better place.
Study with us
As host to more than 45,000 students from across 156 countries, we’re a wonderfully diverse mix of people of all kinds and minds.
We offer more than 300 taught masters courses and 180 research areas, with a range of ways to study, from on-campus taught programmes to online part-time study. We are the largest provider of online distance learning in the Russell Group of UK research-intensive universities, and offer more than 70 online programmes across a wide range of subject areas. We have around 4,000 students currently studying online with us and we take the delivery of teaching online just as seriously as we do on-campus.
Funding and Scholarships
You may be surprised by the range of funding sources available for postgraduate study. We offer a number of postgraduate scholarships and studentships to outstanding candidates.
Teaching and research excellence
Our position as one of Britain’s leading research universities was reaffirmed by the results of the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF). The REF rates 90% of our research activity as world-leading or internationally excellent, ranking us fourth in the UK based on the quality and breadth of our research.
At the University of Edinburgh, extraordinary is just something our community has always done.
Working together, for more than 400 years, we’ve influenced the world in extraordinary ways – expanding the depth of human knowledge and improving the lives of people worldwide. Research conducted here led to the discovery of chloroform anaesthesia, the Higgs boson particle and in-vitro fertilisation. Our academics, students and alumni discovered carbon dioxide, led the Scottish Enlightenment laying the foundations of contemporary thought, developed a genetically engineered vaccine against Hepatitis B, and identified the SARS coronavirus.
Supporting you and your studies
All our postgraduates benefit from our inspiring research culture. The academics involved in your teaching and learning are leaders in their fields and although the emphasis at postgraduate level is very much on independent study, support from our teaching staff is always on hand.
You will be supported by a combination of academic and dedicated student experience and administrative staff who will be able to provide you with or direct you to appropriate support for challenges that may occur during your studies, whether this is directly related to your learning and teaching skills or rising from life situations. You will also have access to a variety of peer-to-peer learning networks as well as student societies.
International students will be supported with events and information to settle in and with activities designed to support your experiences as a student.
Careers and employability
The University of Edinburgh is ranked in the UK’s top 10 universities and in the world’s top 100 universities for the employability of our graduates**.
Our award-winning Careers Service offers practical advice and support. We encourage and support our students to plan and work towards their career goals.
* Times Higher Education World Rankings
** Times Higher Education, Global Employability University Ranking 2021
Register your interest with University of Edinburgh
The university will respond to you directly. You will have a FindAMasters account to view your sent enquiries and receive email alerts with new Masters opportunities and guidance to help you choose the right programme.
It looks like you alredy have a FindAMasters Account
Log in to save time sending your enquiry and view previously sent enquiries
The information you submit to University of Edinburgh will only be used by them or their data partners to deal with your enquiry, according to their privacy notice. For more information on how we use and store your data, please read our privacy statement.
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Department / School information and available programmes:
Edinburgh is a leading international centre for business and finance. It’s also a beautiful, inspirational city. And, here in the University of Edinburgh Business School, you have a School that is right at the heart of the city, at the heart of business.
As one of the leading business schools in Europe, at one of the world’s leading universities, we have achieved an enviably high quality of teaching and research, as well as a natural connection to business. What really sets us apart, however, is a willingness to look beyond accepted business thinking, to create debate and spark new ideas.
With the current state of the world’s financial markets it is imperative that students equip themselves with the knowledge and skills that are in demand not just today but into the future. We believe our portfolio of Masters are at the forefront of the latest ideas and techniques that will assist the business world to emerge stronger and more resilient.
- Accounting and Finance MSc
- Banking Innovation and Risk Analytics MSc
- Business Analytics MSc
- Climate Change Finance and Investment MSc
- Data and Decision Analytics (Online Learning) - MSc
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation MSc
- Executive Master of Business Administration MBA
- Finance MSc
- Finance, Technology and Policy MSc
- Full-time MBA
- Global Strategy & Sustainability MSc
- Human Resource Management MSc
- International Human Resource Management MSc
- Management MSc
- Management MScR
- Marketing MSc
- Online MBA
Edinburgh College of Art is an internationally recognised art college situated at the heart of one of Europe’s most vibrant and creative capital cities.
We comprise the School of Art, the School of Design, Edinburgh School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (ESALA), the School of History of Art and the Reid School of Music.
At postgraduate level we offer exciting opportunities for collaboration across these subject areas, knowledge exchange with the industrial and cultural sectors, and partnerships with local, national and international groups, events and institutions.
- Acoustics and Music Technology MSc
- Advanced Sustainable Design MSc
- Architectural and Urban Design MSc
- Architectural Conservation MSc
- Architectural History MPhil
- Architecture MArch (ARB/RIBA part 2)
- Architecture MPhil
- Architecture MScR
- Architecture, Landscape and Environment MSc
- Architecture, Landscape and Environment MSc
- Art MPhil
- Collections and Curating Practices MScR
- Composition MMus
- Composition MMus
- Contemporary Art Practice MA
- Contemporary Art Theory MA
- Cultural Studies MScR
- Design and Digital Media MSc
- Design for Change MA
- Design Informatics MFA/MA
- Design MPhil
- Digital Media Design (Online Learning) MSc
- European Masters in Landscape Architecture (EMiLA)
- Film Directing MA
- Global Premodern Art: History, Heritage and Curation MSc
- Graphic Design MA
- History of Art MPhil
- History of Art MScR
- History of Art, Theory and Display MSc
- Illustration MA
- Interior, Architectural and Spatial Design MA
- Landscape and Wellbeing MSc
- Landscape Architecture MLA
- Landscape Architecture PhD, MPhil
- Modern and Contemporary Art: History, Curating and Criticism MSc
- Music MScR
- Musicology MMus
- Sound Design MSc
- Sound Design MScR
- Urban Strategies and Design MSc
- Child Protection Data Futures (Online Learning)
- Child Protection Data Futures MSc
- Circular Economy (Online Learning)
- Circular Economy MSc
- Creative Industries MSc
- Cultural Heritage Futures (Online Learning)
- Cultural Heritage Futures MSc
- Data and Artificial Intelligence Ethics (Online Learning)
- Data and Artificial Intelligence Ethics MSc
- Data, Inequality and Society (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Data, Inequality and Society MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Education Futures (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Education Futures MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Future Governance (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Future Governance MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Future Infrastructure, Sustainability and Climate Change (Online Learning)
- Future Infrastructure, Sustainability and Climate Change MSc
- Narrative Futures: Art, Data, Society (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Narrative Futures: Art, Data, Society MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Planetary Health (Online Learning)
- Planetary Health MSc
- Service Management and Design (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Service Management and Design MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert
- Sustainable Lands and Cities (Online Learning)
- Sustainable Lands and Cities MSc
Established in 1726, Edinburgh Medical School was the pre-eminent medical centre of the 18th and 19th centuries. Today it retains its status as a leading force internationally in basic-to-clinical translational research and teaching.
We offer you the opportunity to study in an environment where research is an important component of every student’s life, nurturing a way of thinking that will equip you to deliver positive change for humanity. By bringing together clinicians and basic scientists, we create opportunities
to develop cutting-edge work that makes a real difference to people’s lives.
We offer enormous breadth and depth of research and learning opportunities. Our research themes include: cancer, cardiovascular science, application of basic animal sciences in human and veterinary medicine, genetics and molecular medicine, global health, infectious diseases, inflammation, neuroscience, regenerative medicine, and reproductive health.
Edinburgh Medical School consists of three Deaneries: Edinburgh Medical School: Biomedical Sciences, Edinburgh Medical School: Clinical Sciences, and Edinburgh Medical School: Molecular, Genetic & Population Health Sciences.
- Anatomical Sciences (Online Learning) PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Applied Medical Image Analysis (Online Learning) PgCert, PgProfDev
- Biodiversity, Wildlife and Ecosystem Health (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Biomedical Sciences (Life Sciences) MScR
- Cancer (Edinburgh Cancer Research Centre) MScR
- Cancer Biology and Precision Oncology (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Cardiovascular Biology MScR
- Cardiovascular Science MScR
- Clinical Anatomy MSc
- Clinical Education (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Clinical Management of Pain (Online Learning) MSc, PgProfDev
- Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Clinical Ophthalmology (Online Learning) ChM
- Clinical Trials (Online Learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip, PgProfDev
- Critical Care (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Data Science for Health and Social Care (Online Learning)
- Doctor of Dental Surgery DDS
- Doctor of Medicine MD
- Endodontology DClinDent
- Epidemiology (Online Learning)
- Family Medicine (Online Learning) MFM
- General Surgery (Online Learning) ChM
- Genetics and Molecular Medicine (MRC Human Genetics Unit) MScR
- Genomic and Experimental Medicine MScR
- Global Health and Infectious Diseases (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Global Health Challenges (Online Learning) PgCert, PgProfDev
- Global Health Studies (Online Learning) PgCert, PgProfDev
- Human Anatomy MSc
- Imaging (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Infectious Diseases MScR
- Inflammation PhD, MScR
- Integrative Biomedical Sciences (Based in China)
- Integrative Physiology (Biomedical Sciences - Centre for Discovery Brain Sciences) PhD, MScR
- Internal Medicine (Online Learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip, PgProfDev
- International Animal Health (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Medical Sciences MMedSci by Research
- Neuroimaging for Research (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Neuroscience (Biomedical Sciences - Centre for Discovery Brain Sciences) PhD, MScR
- Neuroscience (Integrative Neuroscience) MScR
- Orthodontics DClinDent
- Orthopaedic and Trauma Medicine PhD, MScR
- Paediatric Dentistry DClinDent
- Paediatric Emergency Medicine (Online Learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip, PgProfDev
- Patient Safety and Clinical Human Factors (Online Learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- PET-MR Principles and Applications (Online Learning) PgCert
- Population Health Sciences PhD, MScR
- Primary Care Ophthalmology (Online Learning) MSc
- Prosthodontics DClinDent
- Psychiatry PhD, MScR
- Public Health (part-time) (Online Learning) MPH, PgCert, PgDip
- Public Health, Master of MPH
- Regenerative Medicine and Tissue Repair MScR
- Reproductive Sciences MScR
- Restorative Dentistry (Online learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip, PgProfDev
- Science Communication and Public Engagement (Online Learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- Science Communication and Public Engagement MSc
- Simulation Based Clinical Education (Online learning) PgCert
- Stem Cells and Translational Neurology (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Surgery PhD, MScR
- Surgical Sciences (Online Learning) MSc
- Surgical Writing and Evidence Based Practice (Online Learning) PgCert, PgProfDev
- Trauma and Orthopaedics (Online Learning) ChM
- Urology (Online Learning) ChM
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery (Online Learning) ChM
Moray House School of Education is home to internationally recognised experts in all aspects of education and sports-related studies. We offer postgraduate opportunities spanning a vast range of disciplines from language teaching to physical activity for health.
We are consistently ranked as one of the top three centres of excellence for educational research in the UK. In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 we were ranked first in Scotland and in the UK top 10 for both educational research (ranked fifth) and sport and exercise research (ranked ninth).
We are the UK’s largest provider of initial teacher training in physical education and we have the best sports facilities and team performance facilities of any Scottish university. We have the largest concentration of nationally and internationally recognised researchers in Scotland, with staff and doctoral students carrying out research across all aspects of education and learning – from pre-school to higher education and lifelong learning.
Our staff are recognised for their theory-informed, applied research, which enriches their teaching of postgraduate students in the fields of education; education leadership; community education; outdoor education; performance psychology; and sport policy, management and international development.
- Comparative Education and International Development (CEID)
- Dance Science and Education MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgDip
- Digital Education Online Learning MSc, PGCert, PGDip
- Education MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- Education MScR
- Inclusive Education MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert (ICL), PgDip
- Language and Intercultural Communication MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- Language Education MSc, PgDip
- Leadership and Learning MEd
- Outdoor Education MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Outdoor Environmental and Sustainability Education MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Performance Coaching and Development (Online Learning) MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- Performance Psychology MSc, PgDip
- Physical Activity for Health MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary) PGDE
- Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary) PGDE
- Social Justice and Community Action (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Sport Policy, Management and International Development MSc
- Sport, Physical Education and Health Sciences
- Strength and Conditioning MSc, PgDip
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Transformative Learning and Teaching MSc
The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies is a world leader in veterinary education and research. Established in 1823, we still lead the way in research. We were ranked 11th in the world for Veterinary Science in the QS World University Rankings 2016 and in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 were ranked first in the UK for Veterinary Research.
We are the largest concentration of animal scientists in Europe, possibly the world. Our School includes the newly refurbished Roslin Institute, where we investigate animal diseases and develop sustainable animal production, the Moredun Research Institute, the Scottish Agricultural College and the Easter Bush Research Consortium.
We offer our postgraduate students a dynamic experience. Here you will find world-class research, co-location of research centres to facilitate interdisciplinarity, state-of-the-art facilities, MRC-funded centres, close collaboration with NHS hospitals, all major imaging technologies, clinical trials support and commercialisation training and opportunities.
- Advanced Clinical Practice (Online) MVetSci, PGDip, PGCert, PGProfDev
- Applied Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare MSc
- Applied Conservation Genetics with Wildlife Forensics (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Applied Poultry Science (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Clinical Animal Behaviour (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Clinical Veterinary Sciences MScR
- Conservation Medicine (Online Learning) MVetSci, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Equine Science (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Food Safety (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Functional Genetics and Development MScR
- Genetics and Genomics MScR
- Global Food Security and Nutrition (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- Infection and Immunity PhD, MScR
- International Animal Welfare, Ethics and Law (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- One Health (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- RCVS Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Practice (Online Learning) PgProfDev
- Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
Our vibrant community of staff and students are continuing a 400-year history of scientific exploration with innovative work that seeks to shape tomorrow’s world.
We are constantly seeking to shed light on the secrets of life through our wide-ranging research – more than half of which was assessed as world-leading in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. This places us in the UK’s top three for overall research quality and confirms our position as one of the world’s leading biological science departments.
Through our membership of Scottish Universities Life Sciences Alliance, we work with colleagues in other institutions to maintain the country’s world-class research base. Our commitment to pioneering science, supported by a healthy flow of grant funding, helps create an environment where world firsts are possible. For example, the first genetically engineered vaccine against hepatitis B was developed here at the School of Biological Sciences. By joining us you will experience a unique opportunity to examine life processes at the very highest level.
- Animal Breeding and Genetics MSc, PgDip
- Biochemistry MSc, PgDip
- Biodiversity and Taxonomy of Plants MSc, PgDip
- Bioinformatics MSc, PgDip
- Biotechnology MSc, PgDip
- Data Science for Biology MSc
- Drug Discovery and Translational Biology MSc, PgDip
- Ecology, Evolution and Biodiversity MSc
- Evolutionary Genetics MSc, PgDip
- Human Complex Trait Genetics MSc, PgDip
- Quantitative Genetics and Genome Analysis MSc, PgDip
- Synthetic Biology and Biotechnology MSc, PgDip
- Systems and Synthetic Biology MSc, PgDip
The teaching of chemistry at Edinburgh has a long and distinguished history: 2013 marked the 300th anniversary of the establishment of the ‘Chair of Physick and Chymistry’.
Today we continue that proud tradition as a leader in the field. In collaboration with the University of St Andrews, we have formed EaStCHEM, one of the largest and most successfully funded chemistry research schools in the UK. EaStCHEM was ranked second in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 power table: a combination of excellence and volume. Overall, 95% of our research was classed world-leading or internationally excellent.
Our membership of ScotCHEM takes this collaborative spirit even further, providing links with all the major schools of chemistry in Scottish universities.
We can offer you a large, internationally recognised research community, and the benefits of the latest facilities, well-published and awarded academic staff, a lively graduate school environment and a broad range of study opportunities.
Theology has been taught at Edinburgh since the foundation of the University in 1583. Now housed in the historic New College building near Edinburgh Castle, the School of Divinity occupies a commanding city-centre site on the Mound, overlooking Princes Street Gardens, the Scottish National Gallery and the Royal Scottish Academy.
Our community comprises 450 students (undergraduate and postgraduate) and and more than 30 full-time academic staff. This is one of the largest centres for the study of religion in the United Kingdom.
Our international standing for research has been a traditional strength, but is also vital to our identity here and now. Historically, the School’s origins lie in providing education for ministers, but today this is a small part of our work. From the 1970s – alongside long-established strengths such as in biblical studies, systematic theology, and the history of Christianity – the School pioneered work on the comparative study of religions. In recent times we have built up areas of expertise in Christian-Muslim relations and in science and religion and we foster a variety of cutting-edge interdisciplinary approaches.
- Biblical Studies MTh, MSc
- Ethics and Practical Theology MPhil
- Hebrew and Old Testament Studies MPhil
- History of Christianity MPhil
- Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations MSc
- Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations PhD, MPhil
- New Testament and Christian Origins PhD, MPhil
- Religion and Literature MTh, MSc
- Religious Studies MSc
- Religious Studies PhD, MPhil
- Science and Religion MSc
- Science and Religion PhD, MPhil
- Systematic Theology PhD MPhil
- Theology and Religious Studies MTh by Research, MScR
- Theology in History MTh, MSc
- World Christianity MTh, MSc
- World Christianity PhD, MPhil
The University of Edinburgh was the first in the English-speaking world to teach economics as an independent subject. Two centuries later, our School of Economics is a growing, vibrant academic community with strengths right across a subject that is at the heart of understanding modern society.
Located less than a mile from the final resting place of Adam Smith, the School of Economics offers an inspiring and collegial environment to postgraduate students. Our internationally renowned expertise includes research in nearly all areas of economics, with a third of our faculty having published in the top five economics journals. We are particularly strong in the study of microeconomic theory, labour and macroeconomics and applied econometrics. Our postgraduate programmes benefit from a dynamism and energy that come with being at the leading edge of discovery and scholarship.
Unique to our programmes is the Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics (SGPE), which combines the teaching and research expertise of eight universities and is hosted here at the University of Edinburgh. Benefiting from a wealth of expertise from the universities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Heriot-Watt, St Andrews, Stirling, Strathclyde and Edinburgh, students are guaranteed to be lectured by experts in their fields, with a richness of option courses to match. There is nowhere else in the UK that students of economics can enjoy the breadth and depth of this learning experience within the supportive environment of a small school.
Our School is a hotbed of innovation. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), 94 per cent of our research activity was rated world-leading or internationally excellent. We have a strong track record of producing technology spin outs and we develop industry links to help you build relationships that will last your whole career.
We have six specialist research institutes; Bioengineering, Digital Communications, Energy Systems, Infrastructure and Environment, Integrated Micro and Nano Systems and Materials and Processes.
We have computing facilities unique to the UK, including the Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC), a leading European centre for research, and the silicon fabrication capabilities of the Scottish Microelectronics Centre (SMC), which also has extensive ‘class 10’ cleanrooms, and provides rare access to tools for processing 200mm silicon wafers. The SMC has strong links with industry and spin-out activity, generating annual turnover of more than £1 million.
- Advanced Chemical Engineering MSc
- Advanced Power Engineering MSc
- Bioengineering MScR
- Digital Communications MScR
- Digital Design and Manufacture MSc
- Electrical Power Engineering MSc
- Electronics MSc
- Energy Systems MScR
- Engineering MPhil
- Fire Engineering Science MSc
- Infrastructure and the Environment MScR
- Integrated Micro and Nano Systems (IMNS) MScR
- International Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering MSc
- Materials and Processes MScR
- Sensor and Imaging Systems MSc
- Signal Processing and Communications MSc
- Sustainable Energy Systems MSc
At the School of GeoSciences we examine the interactions between the Earth’s geology, atmosphere, oceans and life, as well as considering our own role and impact on our planet.
The effect of these complex relationships is vitally important to our world’s future, which means the skills and knowledge you will develop as a postgraduate student here will put you in an exceptional position to help make that future better. Spanning the entire spectrum of the geosciences field, we offer opportunities that are increasingly interdisciplinary and international in focus.
We are the largest geoscience research group in the UK, with around 400 academics and researchers. The quality of our research is second to none: we were ranked top in the UK for research power in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. We were also identified as having the greatest concentration of ‘world-leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’ researchers in the UK. We offer dedicated expertise across our core teaching areas of ecology, environmental sciences, geography, geology, geophysics, meteorology and oceanography.
- Applied Environmental Hydrogeology MSc
- Carbon Management (Online Learning) MSc
- Carbon Management MSc
- Earth Observation and Geoinformation Management MSc
- Ecological Economics MSc
- Energy, Society and Sustainability MSc
- Environment and Development MSc
- Environment, Culture and Society MSc
- Environmental Protection and Management MSc
- Environmental Sustainability MSc
- Food Security MSc
- GeoEnergy MSc
- Geographical Information Science MSc
- GeoSciences (Individual Project - Taught Pathway) MScR
- GeoSciences (Individual Project) MScR
- Global Environment Challenges (Online Learning) PgCert
- Human Geography MScR
- Marine Systems and Policies MSc
- Palaeontology and Geobiology MScR
- Soils and Sustainability MSc
The School of Health in Social Science is a leading provider of postgraduate education in health, health policy and related fields.
We offer taught programmes and research opportunities in nursing studies, clinical psychology, counselling and psychotherapy. We also offer programmes in interdisciplinary social sciences in health, where social scientists are collaborating across specialisms, to pursue innovative new approaches to healthcare research.
In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 we entered three units of assessment, achieving excellent results. Overall, 82% of our research was rated world-leading or internationally excellent. Our rankings in the three units of assessment were second, third and fourth in the UK for research power, measuring research quality and volume.
Our varied postgraduate offering includes a wide range of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses. Learning and teaching includes face-to-face and online methods, with many courses including Socratic modes of discussion and critique to promote deep exploration of topics.
- Advanced Nursing (Online Learning)
- Advancing Nursing MSc
- Applied Psychology (Healthcare) For Children And Young People MSc
- Clinical and Health Psychology MScR
- Counselling (Interpersonal Dialogue) MCouns
- Counselling MCouns, PgCert, PgDip
- Counselling Studies MSc
- Counselling Studies MScR
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) (Online Learning) PgCert
- Health Humanities and Arts MScR
- International and Cross-Cultural Counselling Studies
- Mental Health in Children and Young People: Psychological Approaches (Online Learning) MSc
- Mental Health in Children and Young People: Psychological Approaches MSc
- Neurological Rehabilitation and Care (Online Learning)
- Nursing Studies PhD, MPhil, MScR
- Nursing with Pre-Registration (Adult) MN
- Psychological Therapies MSc
- Psychology of Mental Health (Conversion) MSc
- Psychotherapy and Counselling DPsychotherapy
As one of the largest of its kind in the UK, the University of Edinburgh’s School of History, Classics & Archaeology is one of the great world centres for the study of the human past. The University of Edinburgh is ranked fourth in Europe and 12th in the world for humanities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014/15).
Our expertise in the School of History, Classics & Archaeology ranges from the ancient to the contemporary, and stretches to every corner of the globe. This allows us to offer an unrivalled and wide-ranging portfolio of graduate programmes.
We offer a diverse and energetic research culture, covering many periods, areas and themes. Our home is the William Robertson Wing, an A-listed building on the southern edge of Edinburgh’s Old Town – a UNESCO World Heritage site. Designed by the distinguished 19th-century architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, the building – part of the University’s Old Medical School – was refurbished in 2010 to an exceptional standard, providing state-of-the-art facilities for research, teaching and study.
With a tradition in research in archaeology, classics and history that can be traced back to the 18th century, we can offer our graduate students a stimulating study environment that draws from a solid foundation in research excellence. Many of our researchers are global experts in their field and the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranked us third in the UK for history and fifth in the UK for classics research. Overall, 67% of our research was rated world-leading or internationally excellent, with a high of 83% for our history research.
- American History (MSc)
- Ancient History (MSc)
- Ancient Worlds (Archaeology and Classics) (Online Learning) (MSc)
- Archaeology (MScR)
- Archaeology MSc
- Classical Art and Archaeology (MSc)
- Classics (MSc)
- Classics MScR
- Contemporary History MSc
- Economic and Social History (MScR)
- European Archaeology MSc
- History (Online Learning) MSc
- History MSc
- History MScR
- Human Osteoarchaeology MSc
- Intellectual History MSc
- Late Antique, Islamic and Byzantine Studies MSc
- Medieval History MSc
- Mediterranean Archaeology MSc
- Scottish History MSc
- Scottish History MScR
Informatics is the study of natural and engineered computational systems. It encompasses the academic disciplines of computer science, software engineering, artificial intelligence and cognitive science.
Edinburgh’s School of Informatics is the largest academic centre of its kind in Europe and the UK’s most successful informatics research institution. The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranked us first in the UK for computer science and informatics. We produce more world-leading and internationally excellent research in this field than any other university in the UK. Our size and strength also support unparalleled breadth in our taught courses, which are consistently ranked excellent in external assessments.
By joining our School you will become part of an exciting and vibrant academic culture that will help you to develop the skills and knowledge for a successful career in industry or academia.
- Advanced Technology for Financial Computing (MSc)
- Artificial Intelligence (MSc)
- Cognitive Science MSc
- Computer Science MSc
- Cyber Security, Privacy and Trust MSc
- Data Science MSc
- Data Science, Technology and Innovation (Online Learning) (MSc/PgDip/PgCert/PgProfDev)
- Design Informatics MSc
- High Performance Computing (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip (ICL), PgCert (ICL), PgProfDev
- High Performance Computing MSc, PgDip
- High Performance Computing with Data Science (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev
- High Performance Computing with Data Science MSc
- Informatics: AIAI: Foundations and Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Automated Reasoning, Agents, Data Intensive Research PhD, MPhil, MScR
- Informatics: ANC: Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, Computational Biology PhD, MPhil, MScR
- Informatics: ICSA: Computer Architecture, Compilation and System Software, Networks and Communication PhD, MPhil, MScR
- Informatics: ILCC: Language Processing, Speech Technology, Information Retrieval, Cognition PhD, MPhil, MScR
- Informatics: IPAB: Robotics, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Animation PhD, MPhil, MScR
- Informatics: LFCS: Theory and Foundations of Computer Science, Databases, Software and Systems Modelling PhD, MPhil, MScR
The University of Edinburgh has enjoyed a long and distinguished history since its establishment in 1583 and currently ranks among the top 50 universities in the world. Edinburgh Law School was established in 1707 and for over 300 years has been educating and training the worlds finest legal scholars. In the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), a government-funded study into the quality of academic research produced by UK institutions, Edinburgh Law School was ranked 1st in Scotland and 7th in the UK overall in terms of academic excellence.
Academics at Edinburgh Law School are regarded as world-leaders in their fields of study, and in many cases the work produced by the school's different research centres is of a quality that is recognised as world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
The School offers an excellent and wide range of facilities to support your legal studies. The Law Library, based within the School of Law, offers you a superb collection of legal books, journals, law reports, and other research materials. You will have access to the leading electronic legal research resources such as LexisNexis and Westlaw, and electronic access to numerous journals. You will be able to use one of three computer labs here in the Law School or, if you prefer, use wireless access available in the Law Library and almost all of our seminar rooms.
Edinburgh Law School offers a rich programme of visiting speakers and lecturers. All our postgraduate students (LLM, MSc, or PhD) have the opportunity and are encouraged to attend these events, and can thereby benefit from access to a wide variety of international academics and other experts.
- Commercial Law LLM
- Comparative and European Private Law LLM
- Corporate Law LLM
- Criminal Law and Criminal Justice LLM
- Criminology and Criminal Justice MSc
- European Law LLM
- Global Crime, Justice and Security MSc
- Global Environment and Climate Change Law LLM
- Human Rights LLM
- Information Technology Law (Online Learning) LLM
- Innovation, Technology and the Law (Online Learning) LLM
- Innovation, Technology and the Law LLM
- Intellectual Property Law LLM
- International Banking Law and Finance LLM
- International Commercial Law and Practice (Online Learning) LLM
- International Economic Law LLM
- International Law LLM
- Law (Online Learning) LLM
- Law (Online Learning) PgCert
- Law LLM
- Law LLM by Research
- Medical Law and Ethics (Online Learning) LLM
- Medical Law and Ethics LLM
- Professional Legal Practice Diploma
Influencing the world since 1583, the University of Edinburgh is the ideal place to further your understanding of, and contribution to, global cultures.
Our School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC) offers one of the widest range of languages of any UK university, from Arabic to Norwegian, Scottish Gaelic to Japanese.
Based in the first UNESCO City of Literature, we are home to the oldest department of English Literature in the UK - one of the longest established in the world - and the oldest Celtic department in Scotland.
From Translation Studies to Comparative Literature, we don’t just teach our subjects, we live them in the classroom, thriving on our place in a global festival city, with masters degrees in Theatre, Film, and Creative Writing.
- Celtic Studies MScR
- Chinese MScR
- Comparative Literature MSc
- Creative Writing MSc
- English Literature MScR
- English Literature: Literature and Modernity 1900 to present MSc
- English Literature: Literature and Society Enlightenment, Romantic and Victorian MSc
- Film Studies MSc
- Film, Exhibition and Curation MSc
- French MScR
- German MScR
- Globalised Muslim World MSc
- Intermediality: Literature, Film and the Arts in Dialogue MSc
- Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies (IMES) MScR
- Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies MSc
- Italian MScR
- Japanese MScR
- Korean Studies MScR
- Medieval Studies MScR
- Playwriting MSc
- Russian MScR
- Scandinavian Studies MScR
- Scottish Ethnology MScR
- Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies (Hispanic Studies) MScR
- Translation Studies MSc
By joining the University of Edinburgh’s School of Mathematics, you’ll follow in the footsteps of mathematical pioneers and study alongside some of the most exciting minds working in the field today.
Whether you wish to follow a taught masters programme or pursue your own line of investigation, we offer a dynamic academic environment, supported by excellent facilities.
We have an outstanding reputation for mathematics teaching and research. We were judged ‘excellent’ in the most recent Teaching Quality Assessment and, in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 we were ranked fifth in the UK with 83% of our research rated world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Computational Applied Mathematics (MSc)
- Computational Mathematical Finance MSc
- Financial Modelling and Optimization (MSc)
- Operational Research MSc
- Operational Research with Computational Optimization MSc
- Operational Research with Data Science MSc
- Operational Research with Risk MSc
- Statistics and Operational Research MSc
- Statistics with Data Science MSc
From unravelling the secrets of the ageing process to shaping tomorrow’s speech technologies, the University of Edinburgh’s School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences is at the forefront of innovation.
The School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences (PPLS) offers a rich environment for postgraduate study and research. Our students benefit from the close links between the three core teaching areas, as well as from our connections with other world-class research groups at the University and beyond.
In all subject areas the School is recognised as world-leading, as shown in its high rankings across all areas in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
- Applied Linguistics (MSc)
- Developmental Linguistics (MSc)
- Developmental Science MSc
- English Language MSc
- English Language MScR
- Epistemology, Ethics and Mind (Online Learning) (MSc/PgDip/PgCert)
- Evolution of Language and Cognition MSc
- Human Cognitive Neuropsychology MSc
- Language and Intercultural Communication MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- Linguistics MSc
- Linguistics MScR
- Mind, Language and Embodied Cognition MSc
- Philosophy MSc
- Philosophy MScR
- Philosophy, Science and Religion (Online Learning) MSc, PgDip, PgCert
- Phonetics MSc
- Psychological Research MSc
- Psychology MScR
- Psychology of Individual Differences MSc
- Psychology of Language
- Social Psychology
- Speech and Language Processing MSc
As the birthplace of the Higgs mechanism and the prediction of the Higgs boson, the University of Edinburgh’s School of Physics & Astronomy has a strong track record of innovation and research excellence.
Our research – which was ranked fourth in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 with 96% rated world leading or internationally excellent – pushes the frontiers of scientific thinking.
From the smallest to largest scales, the School’s pioneering work regularly attracts global attention. Not only have we played a vital role in the world’s largest scientific experiment – to find the Higgs boson – but we have also carried out the biggest exercise yet to map dark matter, spanning billions of light years across the universe.
The School of Social & Political Science provides an intellectually vibrant teaching and research environment, boasting an international community of more than 200 world-class academic staff and 700 postgraduate students.
The School was established to promote a culture of interdisciplinary research and collaboration across various subject areas, research groups and centres. These include the subject areas politics and international relations, social anthropology, social policy, social work, sociology and science, technology and innovation studies; the Centres of Canadian Studies, African Studies and South Asian Studies; and an array of specialist institutes and centres for the study of governance, public policy, global development, the EU, families and relationships, criminal justice, social work and innovation in genomics.
The School is one of Europe’s leading lights for research in the social sciences. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), 77% of our research was rated world-leading or internationally excellent and all of our assessed research units were ranked in the top eight in the UK. Our research has recently attracted large grants from the Economic and Social Research Council, EU Framework Programmes and the Leverhulme Trust, among others.
- Advanced Social Work Studies (Mental Health Officer Award) (PgCert)
- Africa and International Development (MSc)
- Comparative Public Policy (MSc)
- Conflict, Security and Development MSc
- Digital Sociology (MSc)
- Global Challenges (Online Learning) MSc
- Global Development Challenges (Online Learning) PgCert
- Global Environment, Politics and Society MSc
- Global Mental Health and Society MSc
- International and European Politics MSc
- International Development (Online Learning) MSc
- International Development MSc
- International Relations MSc
- Management of Bioeconomy, Innovation and Governance MSc
- Medical Anthropology MSc
- Nationalism in Global Perspective MSc
- Public Policy MSc
- Science and Technology in Society MSc
- Science and Technology Studies PhD, MScR
- Social and Political Science MScR
- Social Anthropology MSc
- Social Research MSc, PgCert
- Social Work, Master of MSW
- Sociology and Global Change MSc
- The Middle East in Global Politics