Postgraduate Loan – A Guide for 2023 |
Don't miss our weekly Masters newsletter | Sign up now Don't miss our weekly Masters newsletter | Sign up now

Postgraduate Masters Loan – A Guide for 2024

Written by Mark Bennett

You may be able to get a postgraduate student loan from Student Finance England of up to £12,167 to help pay for a Masters degree. The money is paid to you and only needs to be repaid when you're earning over £21,000 a year.

This loan is sometimes referred to as the 'postgraduate loan', the 'English postgraduate loan', the 'Masters loan', the 'postgraduate student loan' and the 'postgraduate Masters loan'. As long as it's talking about the UK Government loan for England, it's the same thing.

Get funding updates straight to your inbox

Sign up to our weekly newsletter for the latest funding advice and guidance from our team of experts.

On this page

English Postgraduate Loan – At a Glance
Overview: Postgraduate student loans for Masters degrees in all subjects.
Value: Up to £12,167 in 2023-24.
Eligibility: UK nationals resident in England / people with EU settled status or indefinite leave to remain, resident in England.
Location: Any UK university.
Repayment: 6% of income over £21,000.
Applications Now open for the 2023/24 academic year.


You can borrow up to £12,167 with an English postgraduate student loan for a Masters degree starting in 2023-24. This amount was £11,836 for the 2022-23 academic year. The amount students can borrow to study in 2024-25 will typically be announced late spring.

The money will be paid directly to your bank account to use for tuition fees and / or living costs. You do not get a maintenance loan for a Masters.

Payments are divided equally across your course and paid in three instalments per academic year.

You'll get:

  • 33% at or near your course start date (once your university confirms your registration)
  • 33% on the last Wednesday of the 4th month of your course
  • 34% on the last Wednesday of the 7th month of your course

The exact value of each instalment depends on how much loan you request and how long your course is. Student Finance England will write to you to confirm when instalments are due.

Masters loans aren’t means-tested. You can borrow the same amount regardless of your income or savings.

Students who have already started a Masters can borrow slightly less:

  • £10,609 for Masters that started in 2018-19
  • £10,906 for Masters that started in 2019-20
  • £11,222 for Masters that started in 2020-21
  • £11,570 for Masters that started in 2021-22
  • £11,836 for Masters that started in 2022-23

You can only have one postgraduate loan, but you can combine this support with other postgraduate funding.

Can you get a maintenance loan for a Masters?

No, you do not get a maintenance loan for a Masters. The Masters loan system works differently to undergraduate student finance, which does have a maintenance element. Postgraduate student finance is provided as one loan to help with tuition and / or living costs.

Frequently asked questions

Got another question about the postgraduate loan amount or payment process? Check if we've answered it below!

Is the loan amount linked to my tuition fees?

The value of an English postgraduate loan isn't linked to tuition fees. You can borrow up to the maximum regardless of how much your Masters costs.

What if the loan isn't enough?

The cost of a Masters varies and your postgraduate loan isn’t guaranteed to cover all of your tuition fees and / or living costs. Instead the money is offered as a ‘contribution to the cost’ of a Masters. However, you can combine a postgraduate loan with some other funding.

What if my course costs less than £12,167?

You can still borrow up to the maximum amount. The remaining money can be used for accommodation, living expenses or other things – it’s up to you.

Do I have to borrow the full amount?

You can borrow anything between £1 and the maximum.

Can I combine a loan with other funding?

Masters loans are compatible with most other postgraduate funding including charitable grants and university scholarships.

Exceptions apply if you are already receiving (or about to receive) other public funding for your Masters (money provided by the UK Government). This includes NHS bursaries and Research Council studentships.

Can I change the amount I borrow?

You can use a loan request form to can change your postgraduate loan amount at any point up to nine months from the first day of your final academic year.

Can I still receive Disabled Students’ Allowance if I have a postgraduate loan?

Yes. Eligibility (and payments) for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) are separate from postgraduate student loans.

Will the loan amount change?

Yes. The maximum value of a postgraduate Masters loan increases with inflation each year, but the rise only applies to new students.

When will I receive my postgraduate loan?

You’ll receive your first payment soon after your university confirms your attendance on your course. The money will be paid directly into your UK bank account.

What happens if I'm paid too much?

You should notify Student Finance England immediately if your postgraduate loan is overpaid. This could happen if you withdraw from your Masters without notification and continue to receive loan instalments when you aren’t studying.

Overpayments may need to be paid back directly, rather than through the normal income-contingent repayment system.


The English postgraduate loan is available to UK students, provided you meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Nationality and residency (UK) – You must be a UK citizen (or have leave to remain in the UK), be ordinarily resident in England (you can’t have moved there just to study) and have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man during the previous three years.
  • Age – You must be under 60 (aged 59 or younger) on the first day of the first academic year of your Masters. For courses starting in the Autumn term this will normally be 1st September.
  • Previous qualifications – You can't already have a Masters or a higher level qualification (like a PhD).

You may also be eligible for a loan if one of the following applies:

  • You are an Irish national
  • You or a family member have been granted refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • You are 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years and / or half of your life

There is helpful advice on the UKCISA website if you aren't sure about your eligibility as a non-UK student.

If you’re a UK student who normally lives in another part of the UK, you'll need to apply for a different postgraduate loan.

Brexit and eligibility for the postgraduate loan

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss national beginning a Masters in England from August 2021 onwards, you will only be eligible for a postgraduate loan if you have EU settled or pre-settled status.

Postgraduate loan eligibility for Ukrainian students

Ukrainian students may be eligible to apply for a postgraduate loan if they've been granted residence in the UK under one of the following schemes:

If this applies to you, you can apply for a postgraduate loan without having lived in the UK during the previous three years, as long as:

  • You will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of course
  • You have been living in the UK since you were granted residence
  • You meet all other personal and course eligibility requirements

You will also be eligible for home fee status.

To find out more, visit the UKCISA website.

Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to some other common questions about postgraduate loan eligibility.

How will my residency be checked?

You’ll be asked to provide at least three years’ address history during your postgraduate loan application. Student Finance England may query any details that might affect your eligibility.

What counts as being ‘ordinarily resident’ in England?

To be eligible for an English Masters loan as a UK student you must be ordinarily resident in England. This means that England is where you normally live and you haven’t moved there just to go to university.

You will normally count as being ordinarily resident in England if any or all of the following are true:

  • You lived in England before you went to university for your Bachelors degree
  • You received an undergraduate student loan from Student Finance England
  • You have lived and worked in England after graduating from university

What if I have moved from England to another part of the UK for my undergraduate degree?

You will still count as an English-resident if you have studied your undergraduate degree in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and want to continue straight on to a Masters. This means you will be able to apply for an English postgraduate loan.

What if I have moved to England from another part of the UK for my undergraduate degree?

Because you only moved to England to study, your residency status won’t have changed. You will still count as being ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and should apply for a postgraduate loan from the country you lived in before you went to university.

Are loans available to UK students living in the EU?

Yes, you can get a postgraduate loan if you are a UK national, were living in the EEA or Switzerland prior to 31 December 2020 and will continue to do so prior to the start of your course. You must be coming to study your Masters in England before 1 January 2028. You'll also need to have been living in the EEA, Switzerland, Gibraltar or the UK for the past three years.

What if I work after my undergraduate degree, instead of going straight on to a Masters?

Living and working in a different part of the UK means you aren’t just there to go to university. This can change your residency status.

For example:

  • You live in Scotland but go to university in England. After graduating you stay in England to work for several months and eventually decide to study a Masters the following year. You will now count as being ordinarily resident in England and should apply for an English postgraduate loan rather than a Scottish postgraduate loan.

The same would be true for an English student who had lived and worked elsewhere in the UK after graduating.

If you aren’t sure about your residency status, check with Student Finance England.

Can I apply if I’ve lived outside the UK in the last three years?

In order to apply for a loan as a UK student you must have lived in the UK for three years prior to your course. You can travel for holidays or other periods of ‘temporary absence’ from the UK during this period, but you shouldn’t have become ordinarily resident in another country.

Will my credit history be checked?

Postgraduate loans are a student finance product, not a commercial loan. Your personal credit rating and existing debts won’t matter.

The only exception concerns existing arrears with the Student Loans Company. If you owe undergraduate loan repayments that should have been made you won’t be able to apply for a postgraduate loan until these are dealt with.

Will a postgraduate loan affect my benefits?

Postgraduate loans are paid directly to your bank account. This means that they function as a form of income and can affect the amount of welfare support you can claim. You should discuss this with Student Finance England and / or your benefits provider if you aren’t sure.

Can I get a postgraduate loan whilst working?

Yes. You can have a job during your Masters and still access postgraduate student finance.

Can I have more than one student loan at the same time?

You can’t receive student loans for different degrees simultaneously. This means that you can’t apply for a postgraduate loan whilst you’re still getting payments from an undergraduate student loan.

Can I have a second postgraduate loan?

You won’t be able to apply for a new loan if you have already had one for a previous Masters. This applies regardless of whether or not you completed that course.

Similarly, you can't apply for an English Masters loan if you have previously had another UK postgraduate loan. This applies even if your previous loan was for a non-Masters course.

Can I get a loan if I already have a self-funded Masters?

No. Postgraduate Masters loans are only available to people without existing Masters-level qualifications (or higher). Unfortunately you won’t be able to apply if you already have a Masters you paid for yourself.

Can I apply if I already have a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma?

Yes. You can still apply for a loan for a new Masters degree if you already have a postgraduate qualification below Masters level, such as a PGCert or PGDip.

However, you can’t have a loan to study one of these courses or upgrade an existing qualification to a full Masters.

Can I apply if I already have a PGCE?

Yes. You can still apply for a loan to study a Masters if you already hold a postgraduate teacher training qualification such as a PGCE (provided your course did not award a full 180 credit Masters degree).

Can I get a Masters loan if I already have a PhD?

No. You can’t apply for a loan if you already hold a PhD (or other doctorate). Loans are only available if you don’t already have existing qualifications at Masters level or above.

Can I apply if I've previously started a Masters but didn’t complete it?

Yes. Provided you didn’t graduate with a Masters and didn’t receive a postgraduate loan for it, you can apply for a loan to study a new course.

Can I apply if I already have an integrated Masters?

No. If you have already completed an integrated Masters (a course that began at undergraduate level but eventually awarded a Masters) you won’t be able to receive a loan for a second ‘standalone’ Masters.

Can I apply if I have a ‘conferred’ Masters, such as an ‘Oxbridge MA’?

Some universities, such as Oxford and Cambridge, automatically award their graduates with an MA degree after a certain period of time has elapsed. These degrees don’t require any additional examination and are not separate qualifications. As such, they won’t make you ineligible for a loan to study a postgraduate Masters.

How does the age limit work?

English Postgraduate Masters loans are only available to students under 60. This means you must be aged 59 or younger when your degree starts.

This is based on the first day of the academic year not your enrolment date or the date of your first class, lecture, etc.

The first day of the first academic year is normally as follows:

Academic Year - Postgraduate Loans
Course starts between First day of academic year
1 August - 31 December 1 September
1 January - 31 March 1 January
1 April - 30 June 1 April
1 July - 31 July 1 July

Note that the age limit only applies at the beginning of your course. You will continue to receive your loan after you turn 60, provided you are 59 or younger when your Masters starts.

Are EU, EEA or Swiss students eligible for postgraduate loans?

From the 2021-22 academic year onwards, EU, EEA (Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein) and Swiss students will usually only be eligible for postgraduate loans if they were living in the UK before 31 December 2020 and have applied for EU settled status.

Are international students eligible for a postgraduate loan?

Students from countries outside the UK and Ireland aren’t normally eligible for postgraduate loans.

Exceptions may apply if you’re an EU national with settled or pre-settled status in the UK, have lived in the UK legally for a very long time, have been granted humanitarian protection or have refugee status.

For more information on UK fees and finance as a postgraduate student we recommend you check the resources produced by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

And, if you can't get a postgraduate loan, you might still be eligible for other international Masters funding in the UK.

Repaying your postgraduate loan

Wondering when you'll need to start repaying your postgraduate loan? Our full guide explains how postgraduate loan repayments work, and includes a handy calculator to help you work out how much you'll pay each month.


To get a postgraduate loan your course must be a full postgraduate Masters degree. This means:

  • It must be a full degree, not 'topping up' a qualification you already have
  • It must be a postgraduate degree, not an integrated Masters or other undergraduate course
  • It must be a Masters degree (worth at least 180 credits), not a shorter Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma or a programme that eventually leads to a doctorate

The type of Masters you want to study doesn't matter. You can get a postgraduate loan for an MA, an MSc, an MBA or other postgraduate Masters.

Your course can be a taught or research Masters and you can study it at any UK university (the loans are ‘portable’). You can also study full-time, part-time or by distance learning, subject to the following restrictions:

  • Full-time courses can take 1-2 years of study
  • Part-time courses can take 1-4 years of study, but can’t last for more than twice the length of an equivalent full-time course (or three years if no full-time equivalent exists)
  • Distance learning courses can be full-time or part-time, but you must be living in England on the first day of your course and the rest of your Masters must be studied from within the UK

Please note that if you're an Irish national moving to the UK to study, you'll only be able to use the loan for a course at an English university.

What about subjects?

There are no other subject restrictions for a Masters loan. You can study an MSc in Applied Chemistry, an MA in Ancient History, an MBA in International Marketing – or any other postgraduate courses.

Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to other questions about the courses you can get a postgraduate loan for.

Can I get a postgraduate student loan for a Masters by research?

Yes. You can receive a loan for a research-based Masters such as an MRes (Master of Research) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy). However, these courses must lead to a standalone Masters degree and not be part of a longer PhD programme (or other doctorate).

Can I get a postgraduate loan for an MBA?

Yes. You can receive a loan for a specialist business Masters such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Masters in Management (MIM). Note, however, that these programmes often cost more than the maximum £12,167 you can borrow.

Can I get a postgraduate student loan for an LLM?

Yes. You can receive a loan for a Master of Laws (LLM).

However, you can’t receive a loan for a shorter Legal Practice Course (LPC) or Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) unless the qualification forms part of a full Masters degree.

Can I get a postgraduate loan for an integrated Masters?

Masters loans are only available for postgraduate courses, not for four-year integrated Masters (like the MChem, MPhys or MSci) that begin at undergraduate level. These courses are usually eligible for undergraduate student loans instead.

Can I get a loan for an MArch?

The MArch (Master of Architecture) is normally an undergraduate qualification and is eligible for undergraduate student finance. However, you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan if your MArch is a part-time course (and isn’t eligible for an undergraduate student loan).

Can I get a postgraduate loan for a PGCert, PGDip or PGCE?

No. You can’t receive an English Masters loan for a postgraduate qualification below Masters level such as a Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert), Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

Can I get a postgraduate loan for a PhD (or other doctorate)?

You can’t apply for a Masters loan to complete a doctoral degree (even if it includes a Masters). However, separate PhD loans have been introduced for English-resident UK students and EU students.

Where can I study?

If you are ordinarily resident in England before your course, you can use your loan to study anywhere in the UK.

If you are an EU student and are ordinarily resident outside the UK, you can only use your loan to study in England.

Can I study at a private university?

You may be able to receive a loan to study a Masters at an alternative provider in the UK, provided it has been granted degree awarding powers or your course has been specifically designated for postgraduate loans.

Your institution should be able to tell you if this is the case.

Can I study outside the UK?

You can’t get a postgraduate loan to study a full Masters abroad, or for a degree awarded by a university outside the UK.

However, you can study part of your Masters in another country, provided this doesn’t account for more than 50% of your course.

Can I transfer between courses and take my loan with me?

You can switch Masters courses and continue to receive your postgraduate loan. This includes changing to a new course at the same university, or moving to a new institution. However, your new course must also be eligible for a loan.

Note that you can only continue your current postgraduate loan when switching courses; you can’t apply for a ‘fresh’ loan to start a different course. This means that switching courses won’t increase the maximum amount you are able to borrow.

Can I repeat a year of my course?

No, you can’t receive postgraduate loan payments to repeat part of your course (even if you haven’t yet borrowed the full amount).

However, it may be possible for your postgraduate loan payments to resume once you have ‘caught up’ with your Masters.

What happens if I take a break or withdraw from my Masters?

Your postgraduate loan will only be paid whilst you are studying. Your university will confirm your attendance at the beginning of each academic year, but you are responsible for informing Student Finance England if you suspend your studies.

If this happens you will stop receiving postgraduate payments, but may be able to resume your loan with your course.

Can I withdraw from my course and get a new postgraduate loan for another Masters?

You can’t normally receive more than one postgraduate loan. However, exceptions may apply if you have compelling personal reasons (CPR) for not being able to complete your original degree.

Compelling personal reasons could include medical issues or a personal crisis that prevents you progressing through your degree. You should contact Student Finance England to discuss your case with them if necessary.


UK postgraduate loan applications are now open for the 2023-24 academic year. You can apply now online or by post.

Your application will be handled by Student Finance England, on behalf of the Student Loans Company and the UK Government.

The application process is quite simple. If you already have an account with Student Finance England you should use your existing Customer Reference Number (CRN) to login and provide details of your course, your residency information and the amount you wish to borrow.

You don’t need to be accepted for a Masters before you can apply for a postgraduate loan, but you will need to nominate an eligible course (you can change this later if you like). You can read more about the process in our application guide.

The deadline for a postgraduate loan application is quite relaxed: you must apply within nine months of the first day of your final application year. This will normally be as follows:

Postgraduate loan application deadlines
Course begins Deadline
1 August to 31 December 9 months from 1 September
1 January to 31 March 9 months from 1 January
1 April to 30 June 9 months from 1 April
1 July to 31 July 9 months from 1 July

You can also change the amount you wish to borrow (up to the maximum) at any point within this period.

When does postgraduate student finance open?

UK postgraduate student loan applications for Masters beginning in the 2023-24 academic year are now open. You can apply now online or by post. Applications for 2024-25 will open in May 2024.

You can start to apply whenever you like, once the applications are open. It's a good idea to apply as early as possible if you definitely want to receive loan payments in time for your course start date. You can also apply later in your degree if you like – it's up to you.

Frequently asked questions

Here are the answers to some more common questions about applying for a postgraduate loan.

Can I use my existing student finance account?

Yes. If you have already have an account with Student Finance England you must use it to apply for your Masters loan.

Do I have to apply online?

No. You can apply by post if you prefer, but online applications are normally faster.

Note that students who have previously received an undergraduate loan from Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or Student Awards Agency Scotland may need to apply by post for a Masters loan from Student Finance England.

Can I cancel my application?

Yes, you can change your mind before you begin your course (for example, if you decide to start your Masters next year instead) and cancel your application.

Will I still receive the same amount if I apply later in my course?

There is no pro-rata reduction for later Masters loan applications. You can always request the maximum loan amount, provided you do so before the deadline (nine months after the start of your final year).

Can I apply now for a Masters beginning next year?

Postgraduate loan applications re-open for each new academic year. You can apply now for a course that started in 2022-23 (or earlier). Applications for 2023-24 are also now open will open.

Will I definitely get my loan in time?

Loans for September courses should be processed in time if you apply promptly.

What should I do if I'm denied a postgraduate loan?

The first thing to do if your application is refused is to check you definitely meet the eligibility criteria (described further up this page). You should then make sure you have entered all your information correctly, particularly your address history and residency details.

How can I contact Student Finance England about a postgraduate loan?

You can contact Student Finance England in the following ways:

  • By phone: 0300 100 0607
  • By post:Student Finance England, PO Box 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ
  • On social media: such as Facebook and Twitter


Your postgraduate loan repayments won't start until the April after you graduate.

You’ll then be eligible to make repayments on an income-contingent basis at 6% of what you earn over £21,000 a year.

If you are employed this deduction will be taken automatically by HMRC each month, whenever you earn more than £1,750 (the monthly equivalent of £21,000 per year). If you are self-employed you will need to make student loan repayments as part of your annual tax return.

Postgraduate loan repayments are made in parallel with undergraduate loans. If you have both student loans you will make two repayments as follows:

  • 6% of earnings over £21,000 a year for your postgraduate student loan
  • 9% of earnings over £25,725 a year for your undergraduate student loan

As well as the money you have borrowed, you will also have to repay interest charged on your loan. This is based on the Retail Prices Index (RPI) +3% and will begin accumulating as soon as you receive your first loan payment.

RPI is recalculated each April based on current inflation measurements. The interest rate for a Masters loan is currently 6.3%, but this changes each year.

The amount you pay each month will not change as the interest rate on your loan rises. Monthly repayments depend on your incomne, not on interest rates (though the total amount you owe will increase).

Any remaining postgraduate loan debt is written off after 30 years, regardless of how much you have left to pay.

Repayment guides

Looking for more detailed information on postgraduate repayments? Our full guide includes a range of examples, plus a postgraduate loan calculator.

Frequently asked questions

We've answered some common questions about repaying a postgraduate loan.

When do postgraduate loan repayments begin?

You will become eligible to repay your postgraduate loan on the 6th April after your Masters ends. This is called ‘entering repayment’. However, no students will enter repayment until 6th April 2021.

Remember too that you only ever repay your loan when you are earning over £21,000 a year.

Is the repayment threshold rising?

No. The annual repayment threshold for undergraduate loans has risen annually from 2018, but the threshold for postgraduate loans remains at £21,000. Our newsletter updates will let you know if this changes.

Are repayments calculated before or after tax?

HMRC will automatically deduct your postgraduate loan repayment at 6% of your gross income over £21,000 a year (or the monthly equivalent of £1,750). This means that deductions will be calculated before other deductions such as income tax, national insurance and undergraduate loan repayments are taken.

How do repayments work if I am self-employed or work abroad?

You will be responsible for making any repayments that HMRC cannot deduct automatically. This can normally be done through your tax return at the end of the financial year.

Is the interest rate linked to income?

No. Unlike undergraduate loans, interest on postgraduate student loans is the same for all borrowers. It won’t increase if you earn more.

Do I still need to repay my loan if I don't complete my course?

All postgraduate loan payments are subject to the same repayment criteria. You can leave your course and cancel your remaining loan, but you will still be eligible to repay any money you have received so far.

More information

We've tried to make this guide and FAQ as comprehensive as possible, but we'll do our best to help if you've got a question we haven't covered. Simply email with your query. You can also sign up for our free weekly newsletter for regular news about student finance changes, applications and deadlines, as well as general funding tips.

Remember that the postgraduate student loan isn't the only way to pay for a Masters. There are a range of other funding options available.

Find your perfect Masters!

Search from over 20,000 Masters degrees on our website to find one that is right for you

UK Masters Funding for International Postgraduates in 2024 – A Guide

Our guide explains the different postgraduate scholarships available for international students in the UK, as well as overseas eligibility for Masters loans.

Read more
Postgraduate Loan Repayments

Our guide explains how the different UK postgraduate student loan repayments work, with salary examples, FAQs and a handy postgrad loan repayment calculator.

Read more
Apply for a Masters Loan in the UK

Postgraduate loan applications are open for 2023. This guide explains which Masters loan you should apply for, how to apply, when to apply, and what you'll need to provide.

Read more
Postgraduate Funding Options in the UK

Our guides cover the different options for funding a UK Masters degree, including student loans and university scholarships as well as part-time work and alternative funding approaches.

Read more
UK Masters Degree Loans – Country Comparisons

Different postgraduate Masters degree loans are available in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Find out which one you're eligible for and what you can get.

Read more
2024 Postgraduate Funding in Wales

You can get Welsh postgraduate funding of up to £18,7700 towards a Masters degree. Our guide explains how this funding works and provides a detailed list of student FAQs.

Read more

Last updated: 15 November 2023