Glasgow, United Kingdom
Continue your student journey with the University of Strathclyde
Masters, Taught Courses, PhD and Doctoral Courses in Scotland
The University of Strathclyde has become the first university to win the coveted Times Higher Education University of the Year title twice!
We are a leading international technological university located in the heart of Glasgow – one of the UK’s largest cities – and has a vibrant, international community with almost 23,000 students from over 100 countries.
For more than 200 years Strathclyde has been delivering academic excellence through world-class research and teaching, providing students with flexible, innovative learning in preparation for their chosen career path.
Strathclyde received a five-star rating in a QS audit of universities’ key performance areas.
We offer over 200 postgraduate programmes.
Each of our four faculties – Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, Science, Strathclyde Business School – work closely with business, industry, government and policy-makers, supporting our enviable track record of making technologies and innovation applicable for the benefit of society.
We are tackling global problems
Research is of central importance in everything we do. It informs our teaching and helps us to make a difference to business, industry and society as a whole.
Almost 90% of our research has been rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally-excellent’ in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021, we are transforming the way academics, business, industry and the public sector work in partnership. We are in the UK top five for industry research income (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2018).
Our world-class researchers are working with international partners to find solutions to challenges in areas of global importance and to support sustainable development goals – from providing access to reliable electrical power in The Gambia to improving health, water supplies and sanitation in Malawi.
At Strathclyde, we are committed to developing researchers who are both highly skilled and employable. To support you on your research journey, our Researcher Development Programme provides professional and personal development training and opportunities, through a tailored suite of courses, events, workshops and resources.
We are investing in your future
Over the course of the current decade, we are transforming our campus by investing £1 billion to create a first-class working and learning environment for you, our students. Our new £31 million sports centre, Strathclyde Sport, brings state of the art training, fitness and wellbeing facilities to the heart of the University’s campus.
Strathclyde students are set to enjoy a new £60 million Learning & Teaching building, which is located in the centre of the campus. Designed with students and staff in mind, the new hub includes leading-edge teaching facilities as well as providing a new home for student support services and the Students’ Union.
There are a range of funded and non-funded postgraduate research opportunities, as well as individual projects, available annually. We offer a range of scholarships for postgraduate research study.
How to apply
Visit our website to apply for one of our courses.
Get in touch - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
The information you submit to University of Strathclyde will only be used by them or their data partners to deal with your enquiry, according to their privacy notice. For more information on how we use and store your data, please read our privacy statement.
The information you submit to University of Strathclyde will only be used by them or their data partners to deal with your enquiry, according to their privacy notice. For more information on how we use and store your data, please read our privacy statement.
Chat to a student ambassador at The University of Strathclyde
Department / School information and available programmes:
Welcome to the Bioengineering Unit - Scotland's centre of excellence for postgraduate training and research in biomedical engineering and home to the UK's only Doctoral Training Centre in Medical Devices.
Whether from a science, medical or engineering background, our postgraduate courses provide you with first class training at the interface between engineering, medicine and the life and physical sciences. Our extensive range of research degrees enable students to develop their skills alongside leading academics in their field and develop cutting edge research with industrial and clinical collaborators.
We lead the field in multidisciplinary research to address biomedical research challenges and to deliver commercial, industrial and clinical benefits.
One of the largest chemical engineering departments in the country, offering innovative courses delivered by enthusiastic staff with a dynamic, progressive approach & many years of practical experience in important areas such as environmental protection, process design, safety & advanced chemical processes.
Industry-orientated with strong links worldwide to major chemical engineering employers, particularly those involved in our unique, award-winning Chemical Engineering by distance learning programmes.
At the forefront of chemical engineering technologies, our Research interests mean we are actively involved in the areas of alternative fuels, nano-materials for use in advanced chemical reactors and separation processes.
Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde was rated the best in Scotland in the last Scottish Higher Education Funding Council Teaching Quality Assessment and is amongst the best in the UK and we are amongst the few departments in the UK to offer Institution of Chemical Engineers accredited courses at BEng, MEng and post graduate MSc level.
- Advanced Chemical & Process Engineering (distance learning) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Advanced Chemical Engineering MSc
- Chemical Technology & Management (Distance Learning) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Energy Systems Innovation MSc
- Process Technology & Management (Distance Learning) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Sustainable Engineering (Chemical Processing) MSc
Civil Engineering has been taught at the University of Strathclyde since 1887 and is one of the oldest courses in the United Kingdom. The Department is currently ranked in the Top 200 Universities in the World (QS WUR by Subject, 2013).
Our multidisciplinary Department has a large international student population and a global research profile, with almost two-thirds of our research output rated as ‘world-leading or internationally excellent’ in the last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008).
All our courses are accredited by professional bodies: the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and the Institute of Highway Engineers.
The Department combines the strengths of Civil Engineering, Environmental Health, Sustainability and Environmental Studies, providing the highest quality professional training linking the built environment with the natural environment. We offer cross-disciplinary programmes in teaching and research, in the areas of infrastructure, sustainable development and the environment.
Why study with us?
• Highly prestigious staff achievements: Professor Kalin: Brownfield Briefing Award (2012) for research in Environmental forensic methods for the characterisation of coal tar contamination; Professor Lunn: Geological Society of London Aberconway Medal (2011) for distinction in the practice of geology with special reference to work in industry; Professor Shipton: Geological Society of London William Smith Fund (2010) for excellence in contributions to applied and economic aspects of geoscience
• World-leading interdisciplinary research organised under 3 broad themes: environmental; infrastructure; engineering geomechanics & geoscience
• A unique portfolio of civil engineering and environmental Master’s courses, including: MSc programmes which are the first in the UK/Scotland and are offered to graduates from all disciplines, and many courses involving strong collaboration with industry and employers.
• New, state-of-the-art laboratory facilities in geomechanics, environmental chemistry, microbiology and structures. Brand new student and staff departmental office space.
• Vibrant, international student population – profiles and recommendations from students from all over the globe are available on individual postgraduate course pages via: http://www.strath.ac.uk/civeng/pg/
- Advanced Computer Science MSc
- Advanced Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence MSc
- Advanced Computer Science with Data Science
- Advanced Software Engineering MSc
- Artificial Intelligence & Applications MSc
- Cyber Security (Graduate Apprenticeship) MSc
- Digital Health Systems MSc
- Information & Library Studies MSc/PgDip
- Information Management MSc/PgDip
- Software Development MSc
The Department of Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Management (DMEM) is an internationally leading department delivering multi-disciplinary learning which is both innovative and industry focused within the Faculty of Engineering; one of the best equipped engineering faculties in the UK and the largest in Scotland. The department’s unique focus is on “Delivering Total Engineering” through:
- Research excellence
- Industrial partnerships
- Creative engineering education
We have a portfolio of courses across our design, manufacture and engineering management themes at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, along with a number of research opportunities. We are the only department in the UK combining end-to end multidisciplinary expertise which ensures our students are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to embark on a successful career. For those already working professionally, we have a range of continuing professional development courses in order for you to maintain and develop your skills to keep up to date with a fast-moving industry.
Our department is well equipped with state-of-the-art tools to help design, prototype, manufacture and perform research on a broad range of items. Our skills and equipment are utilised on a number of student, commercial and research projects. We have various workshops to assist us in this work, which include Rapid Prototyping, Virtual Prototyping, Reverse Engineering and Mechatronics labs.
We have one of the UK’s only digital design suites to combine virtual and physical design and prototyping.
The department itself was refurbished in 2014 and offers modern teaching, studying and research facilities featuring a broad range of IT facilities, group study areas and studio space.
Our staff have a wealth of national and international practical and teaching experience and are recognised as thought leaders in their fields.
Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Management students enjoy broad based education with the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from different departments across the Faculty of Engineering and the University, as well as with our industry partners and international partners.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Technology and Systems MSc
- Design Engineering MSc
- Design Engineering with Advanced Product Development MSc
- Design Engineering with Sustainability MSc
- Digital Manufacturing MSc
- Engineering Doctorate in Advanced Manufacturing
- Engineering Management for Process Excellence MSc
- Engineering Project Management (Online) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Mechatronics and Automation MSc
- Product Design MSc
- Renewable Energy & Decarbonisation Technologies MSc
- Supply Chain & Logistics Management MSc
- Supply Chain & Procurement Management MSc
- Supply Chain & Sustainability Management MSc
- Systems Engineering Management MSc
The School of Education benefits from having over 100 highly skilled and dedicated academics, all of whom are committed to research informed teaching and learning. We also have a great team of administrators and support staff to ensure our courses run smoothly.
The School of Education is the leading provider of teacher education in Scotland and one of the largest in the UK. Our teacher education courses have a strong track record and are highly valued by our students. Our graduates are sought by schools all over the country, and the majority of our students are in employment by graduation.
- Academic Practice PgCert
- Applied Educational & Social Research MSc
- Autism (part-time) MEd
- Autism MSc
- Early Years Pedagogue MEd
- Education (International) iPGCE
- Education Studies (part-time) MEd
- Education Studies MSc
- Educational Issues & Impact PgCert
- Educational Leadership MEd
- Genealogical, Palaeographic & Heraldic Studies MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Leading Learning & Transformative Practice in Colleges (with TQFE)
- Learning & Teaching in Higher Education PgCert
- Primary Education PGDE
- Professional Practice MEd
- Research & Knowledge Exchange PgCert
- Safety & Risk Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Secondary Education - Art & Design PGDE
- Secondary Education - Biology with Science PGDE
- Secondary Education - Business Education PGDE
- Secondary Education - Chemistry with Science PGDE
- Secondary Education - Computing Science PGDE
- Secondary Education - English PGDE
- Secondary Education - Gaelic PGDE
- Secondary Education - Geography PGDE
- Secondary Education - History PGDE
- Secondary Education - Home Economics PGDE
- Secondary Education - Mathematics PGDE
- Secondary Education - Modern Languages PGDE
- Secondary Education - Modern Studies PGDE
- Secondary Education - Physical Education PGDE
- Secondary Education - Physics with Science PGDE
- Secondary Education - Psychology PGDE
- Secondary Education - Religious Education PGDE
- Secondary Education - Technological Education PGDE
The Department has an international reputation for teaching and research excellence across the broad spectrum of electronic and electrical engineering. Considered one of the premier departments of our kind, our expertise spans electrical power engineering & renewable energy, telecommunications & signal processing, ultrasonics, microsystems, photonics, and control systems. Research activities are driven by six strategically focused groups, which reflect the Department’s scale, diversity and vision, and underpin its teaching programmes. The latest UK Government Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) affirmed our status for “world-leading and internationally excellent” research, rating us top in Scotland – by a long way – and 3rd in the UK.
Research-led, we are recognised for innovation in electronic & electrical engineering education and are home to several unique and internationally-leading facilities. These include Europe’s first research centre dedicated to the development of ‘smart’ technologies, Europe’s only GSE Power Station Control Room Simulator, and the UK’s only Wind Energy Systems Doctoral Training Centre. Our strong partnerships with government, industry and a variety of global research agencies have resulted in a large scholarship programme, an outstanding record of entrepreneurship and the commercial adoption of our research results and innovations across key industrial sectors. Company successes include DiagnosticMonitoring Systems and SmarterGridSolutions.
We operate substantial and well-established collaborations with academic and industrial partners in Europe, the Americas, Indian Sub-Continent and SE Asia. With over 230 students from 40 nations, we have a vibrant international Graduate School. Students are the heart of our vision and all of our activities focus on supporting them to fulfil their potential to become the engineers of the future who shape and inform society. Teaching led by world-class scholars combined with pioneering research and state-of-the-art facilities ensures the School achieves this – delivering a modern and globally relevant education in a friendly and supportive environment.
Electronic & Electrical Engineering offers a broad range of MSc programmes:
Advanced Electrical Power Engineering
Communications, Control & Digital Signal Processing
Electrical Power Engineering with Business
Electronic & Electrical Engineering
Wind Energy Systems
The Department also offers a large number of scholarships across all of its MSc courses to attract the very best International and UK students:
Student Awards Agency for Scotland – open to well qualified UK and EU students only. Applicants can apply to SAAS fo tuition fee loan.
Fundacion Iberdrola – scholarships focus on the field of energy and environment, and are open to UK and Spanish nationals only. Tuition fees are paid and a generous monthly stipend given.
- 5G Advanced Communications MSc
- Advanced Electrical Power & Energy Systems MSc
- Autonomous Robotic Intelligent Systems MSc
- Electrical Power & Energy Systems MSc
- Electronic & Electrical Engineering MSc
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning MSc
- Smart Grids with the Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid MSc
- Wind Energy Systems MSc
Postgraduates in English Studies will be supervised by researchers with international reputations in a range of fields, from Renaissance studies to literary linguistics and Scottish literature and culture, as well as areas such as gender, queer, race and postcolonial studies.
Academic staff have worked with colleagues in other faculties and at universities in the UK and abroad, have published with leading presses and journals and undertaken major roles with funding bodies and policy-making organisations.
Our students have gone on to success in a wide range of careers. Distinguished graduates include: Guardian war correspondent Audrey Gillan; former BBC director and Scottish Cultural Commissioner James Boyle; screenwriter and creator of TV's River City Stephen Greenhorn; Booker prize-winning novelist James Kelman; Booker nominated writer Andrew O'Hagan; MSP and former culture minister Frank McAveety; TV dramatist and playwright Des Dillon; and journalist and critic Mark Brown.
We have a strong track record in helping students to success in teaching, business, public service, marketing and public relations and many other careers.
As well as carrying out ground-breaking research into a range of media topics, we also offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses in journalism where our students work with internationally-recognised academics and highly experienced journalists. Our taught graduate programme combine academic excellence in journalism studies with professional education to industry standards.
Research in Journalism, Media & Communication at Strathclyde is focused on contemporary media practices and representations. There are four key areas which define Journalism, Media and Communication research at Strathclyde: Gender and Media; Political Communications; Social Media; and Media, Health, Wellbeing and Trauma.
Within this, we have particular strengths in the analysis of the UK/Scottish media landscape and our staff – and postgraduate students – work closely with a wide range of external partners.
Strathclyde Law School has established a reputation of more than 50 years for quality teaching and research. We offer flexible learning including options for part-time study, accelerated study and distance learning. The Law School is one of the UK’s leading law schools and demonstrates the highest quality in teaching and research.
We host Scotland’s biggest Law Clinic, which is run by an Executive Committee of students and chaired by a Clinic Director. The Clinic provides a ‘real life’ learning experience for students, enhancing their professional skills. It is an invaluable service to members of the public who do not qualify for legal aid but cannot afford to pay legal fees.
The Law School also hosts the Mediation Clinic, providing postgraduate students with a unique opportunity to mediate alongside experienced practitioners. The Clinic receives cases from several local courts including Glasgow Sheriff Court, Scotland’s largest, and has just launched a new Housing Mediation Project.
The Law School hosts several centres of excellence including the Strathclyde Centre for Environmental Law and Governance, the Strathclyde Centre for Internet Law and Policy and the Strathclyde Centre for Antitrust Law and Empirical Study.
- Competition Law LLM
- Construction Law LLM/PgDip/PgCert
- Criminal Justice & Penal Change LLM/MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Diplomacy & International Security MSc/PgDip
- Global Environmental Law & Governance LLM/PGDip/PGCert
- Human Rights Law LLM/PgDip/PgCert
- International Commercial Law LLM/PGDip/PGCert
- Law LLM/PgDip/PgCert
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution LLM/MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Professional Legal Practice (Online) LM
- Professional Legal Practice Diploma
- Actuarial Science MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Applied Statistics (on campus) MSc
- Applied Statistics (online) MSc
- Applied Statistics in Finance (on campus) MSc
- Applied Statistics in Finance (online) MSc
- Applied Statistics in Health Sciences (on campus) MSc
- Applied Statistics in Health Sciences (online) MSc
- Applied Statistics with Data Science (online) MSc
- Quantitative Finance MSc
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Strathclyde is one of the largest departments of its type in the UK, with around 500 undergraduate and 130 postgraduate students. It has around 100 academic, research, administrative and technical staff. It is by far the largest of its type in Scotland. It has the highest independently assessed standing in its discipline in Scotland for both teaching and research.
- Advanced Materials Engineering MSc
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering (Online Learning) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering by Modular study MSc, PGDip, PGCert
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering MSc
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace MSc
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Energy Systems MSc
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Placement MSc
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Materials MSc
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Power Plant Technologies MSc
- Satellite Data for Sustainable Development MSc
- Sustainable Engineering: Renewable Energy Systems and the Environment MSc
- Advanced Naval Architecture MSc
- Marine Engineering MSc
- Marine Engineering with Specialisation in Autonomous Marine Vehicles MSc/PgDip
- Offshore Floating Systems MSc
- Offshore Wind Energy MSc/PgDip
- Ship & Offshore Structures MSc
- Ship & Offshore Technology MSc
- Subsea & Pipeline Engineering MSc
- Sustainable Engineering: Marine Technology MSc/PgDip
- Sustainable Engineering: Offshore Renewable Energy MSc/PgDip
- Technical Ship Management MSc/PgDip
The School of Psychological Sciences and Health focuses its research activities on being useful by addressing current challenges and problems facing society. The School provides a vibrant, friendly environment for outstanding research and teaching that brings together internationally-recognised academic staff with a diverse range of interests.
Our staff engage in research and undertake postgraduate teaching and research supervision across four subject disciplines:
• Physical Activity for Health
• Speech and Language Therapy
Recognising that these topics often generate complex, multidisciplinary, and global research problems, staff collaborate across the four disciplines within the School and with a wide range of colleagues internationally.
Some of our courses hold accredited status. The MSc Psychology with a Specialisation is accredited by the British Psychological Society, and the MSc Counselling and Psychotherapy by the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy).
Study of Social Policy gives students a wide-ranging critical perspective on social services and their delivery. Graduates often go on to have successful careers in the public sector - working in local or central government, analysis and formulating policy or managing key services – or in third sector organisations who exist to achieve social aims.
As an interdisciplinary subject, Social Policy draws on tools, technique and modes of analysis many other social science disciplines. Students gain a firm grounding in research and analytical methods, drawing on perspectives and practices from history, sociology, anthropology, economics, law, economics and politics.
Graduates find they strengthen their skills in qualitive and quantitative research, data analysis, communication, presentation and academic writing. These are transferable skills much-valued by employers in the public, private and third sectors.
Ranked number one in the United Kingdom for Social Policy in 2021, our experts contribute towards responding to challenges in society by shaping policy and practice. 51% of our School of Social Work & Social Policy’s research is rated as world-leading.
We offer opportunities at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Advanced Residential Child Care MSc
- Child & Youth Care Studies by Distance Learning MSc
- Children & Young People in Conflict with the Law PGCert
- Criminology & Social Policy MSc
- International Social Welfare MSc
- Mental Health Social Work PgCert
- MSc Social Policy
- MSc Social Policy (Research Methods)
- Social Work MSW
We believe education has the capacity to change lives and providing an enriching student experience is a priority for us.
In Humanities and Social Sciences, we focus on the building blocks of society – human endeavour. Studying here, you will better understand how human beings think, act and interact with one another and the world around them. Employers value this knowledge.
Research informs our teaching and helps us make a difference to business, industry and society as a whole. We have a vibrant research culture and our research is noted for its impact.
Our Graduate School is home to over 300 research students from more than 30 countries and we support their development through a tailored training programme.
Our schools touch every aspect of human life: education and learning; government and public policy; humanities and culture; justice and the law; lifelong learning; psychological sciences and health; and social work and social policy. We have strong links with governments, global organisations, in both the public and private sector, and academic networks.
Our graduates are sought-after and intellectually engaged – focused on applying knowledge, they know how the world works, and how to make it a better place.
Humanities and Social Sciences
The School of Government and Public Policy has a long history of international research excellence. The quality of our research is recognised internationally – for example, the German Centre for Higher Education Development (CHE) lists the School as part of an ‘Excellence Group’ in political science. We are one of the founding members of the European Consortium for Political Research, the largest organisation of its kind in European political science. We have a strong research culture that focuses on individual and team-based research.
We host two research centres:
• European Policies Research Centre
• Centre for Energy Policy
Our research is supported by grants from a range of funding bodies, including research councils, national governments and international bodies, such as the OECD and the EU.
The School of Humanities is a community of researchers, teachers, students, and support staff working together on some of the most interesting and exciting issues in historical and contemporary culture.
Our undergraduate and postgraduate courses cover a wide range of areas, from the teaching of high-level skills in languages, through advanced practical study in creative writing and journalism, to research-led courses at the cutting edge of their academic disciplines in the study of history, literature, language, and culture.
The quality of our research has a strong national and international reputation. The School of Humanities covers a wide range of subject areas, to include; English, history, journalism, media and communication, modern languages and applied gender studies.
History at the University of Strathclyde has a long tradition of the highest quality research in its field.
In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, 29% of our publications were graded at the highest level (4*) as world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour. In the REF 2014 all 22 of our historians were submitted for assessment. This made us one of only eight institutions in Britain able to do this. The depth and breadth of our research culture ensures that all our staff are active investigators generating new knowledge that's often world-leading in their areas of expertise.
Historians at Strathclyde focus on:
• History of science, technology and medicine
• Oral history
• Peace, conflict and identity
• Scotland and the world
Our research in English language and literature covers all periods from the Renaissance to the present day. Our researchers specialise in lots of different fields including:
• The work of canonical writers (such as Shakespeare and Conrad)
• National literatures (in particular Scottish and Canadian)
• Social interest, such as representations of gender, or literature and natural resources
We work together with colleagues from other universities in the USA and Canada, and across the UK, on projects including:
• The digital linguists analysis of printed texts
• Middlebrow writing in the early 20th century
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences is a leading centre for research and training focussed on the discovery, development and delivery of better medicines.
We are housed in a brand new building that combines outstanding research facilities with excellent teaching resources.
We offer an accredited 4 year MPharm degree as well as a range of undergraduate and integrated Masters courses in the Biomedical Sciences. Additionally we offer taught Masters degrees and MRes programmes in Drug Delivery Systems and Biomedical Sciences. We also offer MPhil, PhD and DPharm degrees by research.
Currently we have over 150 post-graduate students. Our students come from all over the world, and we pride ourselves on the international dimension of our teaching and research.
For a virtual tour, please follow this link:
- Advanced Biochemistry MSc
- Advanced Clinical Pharmacy Practice MSc
- Advanced Drug Delivery MSc
- Advanced Immunology MSc
- Advanced Pharmaceutical Manufacturing MSc
- Advanced Pharmacology MSc
- Biomedical Sciences MSc
- Cancer Therapies MSc
- Clinical Pharmacy MSc
- Independent Prescribing - Practice Certificate
- Industrial Biotechnology MSc
- Molecular Microbiology MSc
- Neuroscience & Mental Health MSc
- Pharmaceutical Analysis MSc
- Pharmaceutical Quality and Good Manufacturing Practice MSc/PgDip/PgCert