University of Reading
The University of Reading is one of the UK’s top research-led universities. We are always pushing the boundaries of knowledge and tackling global challenges.
That’s why we are one of the world’s leading universities for the study of climate change, why we confront issues like racism and injustice, and why our master’s graduates go on to make a meaningful difference in their careers around the world.
Our talented, vibrant student community, passionate academics, excellent facilities, and welcoming atmosphere make Reading a fantastic place to live, study and work.
Why Choose Reading?
- Excellent teaching – Our programmes are delivered by expert academic staff, including leading international researchers and industry practitioners.
- A global perspective – We have a long history of welcoming international and EU students, with around 180 nationalities represented on our campuses.
- World class reputation - The University of Reading is ranked 205th overall out of 1,002 institutions in the world (QS World University Rankings 2021).
- A great study environment – Our main Whiteknights campus is set in 130 hectares of beautiful parkland. It’s the real heart of University life: a green and welcoming place.
- Modern accommodation – Our halls of residence at Reading are safe and secure, and close to our beautiful Whiteknights and London Road campuses.
Our Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Teaching, learning and the student experience is at the heart of everything we do at the University of Reading.
Our 8,000 postgraduates benefit from modern facilities that help to maximise their learning potential.
Our portfolio of over 150 taught postgraduate courses spans vocational as well as academic study programmes, many of which offer professional accreditations.
Careers and Employability
At Reading, you can start preparing for your future career from the day you arrive.
Our Careers Service offers individual advice and guidance during your studies, as well as a range of workshops and events to help you find part-time work, volunteering and graduate roles.
This focus on employability contributes to the success of our graduates: 94% of our taught postgraduates are in work or further study within six months of graduating. Of those working full time, more than 95% are in professional or managerial occupations (Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey, 2016/17 leavers.)
The University of Reading offers a range of scholarships to master’s students. Some awards are offered directly by the University and others are allocated to our students by external funding bodies.
Our Master’s Virtual Open Days are the perfect opportunity to explore our fantastic courses and have all your questions answered from the comfort of your own home.
These virtual events include presentations with question and answer sessions from academic staff, as well the opportunity to live chat with some of our current master's students.
Applications & entry requirements
You are normally required to have a good undergraduate honours degree (typically 2:1 or above, though some programmes accept 2:2) or equivalent from a university outside the UK.
If you have other qualifications and a number of years’ relevant work experience then you may also be eligible to apply. Some programmes have additional entry requirements that are specified on the relevant course webpages.
For international students, our English language requirements are usually an overall score of either 6.5 or 7.0 in the IELTS (depending on the programme).
The quickest and easiest way to apply for postgraduate study at the University of Reading is through our online application service.
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Department / School information and available programmes:
The University of Reading's Department of Economics has been established for more than half a century. An internationally renowned institution, we produce world-class research through the development of economic theory and use of advanced econometric modelling.
The Department is home to active researchers who are experts in a wide range of fields. A number of our academics are involved in research that informs the policy decisions of governments, major multinational organisations and international agencies like the UN.
We are one of the top 25 highest-ranking UK universities for Economics and Econometrics (QS World University Rankings, 2019), with 100% of both our research impact and research environment judged to be world leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
The modules we teach you are informed by our research, ensuring that what you learn is topical, relevant and has practical implications. On one of our master's courses, you will typically spend 6-8 hours a week in lectures and supported classroom seminars studying alongside academics, industry professionals and postgraduate colleagues.
Our Master's programmes are:
MA Public Policy
MSc Business Economics
MSc Economics and Finance
For more information visit: www.reading.ac.uk/economics
Our MA programmes in TESOL and Applied Linguistics have more than 2,000 graduates in over 40 countries, many of whom have gone on to become world-renowned teachers and scholars.
98% of our research overall in Modern Languages and Linguistics was rated world leading, internationally-excellent or internationally-recognised (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
As a student on one of our master's courses, you'll be taught by expert researchers, and receive one-to-one supervision on your dissertation/research-as-practice project.
Our MA programmes offer unique insights into the richness and variety of human experience. When engaged in this exciting process of discovery, you will encounter a wide range of subjects and approaches to history while also having the opportunity to pursue you own enthusiasms. Leading scholars will guide you through the latest developments in the discipline from the end of the ancient world to the new millennium.
As a postgraduate student in the Department of History at Reading, you will be joining a thriving research community. Our Department's research interests cover Early Modern British and European History; Modern British and European History; American History and Russian History. Thanks also to the close cooperation with historians based in other departments, our students benefit from a truly interdisciplinary and vibrant research environment. All our students are regularly invited to a wide range of research seminars, workshops and conferences within our University and are encouraged to take part in national and international networks.
The Centre for Early Modern History, The Graduate Centre for Medieval Studies, the Centre for Economic History and the Centre for the Advance Study of French History offer exciting seminars, reading groups and conferences throughout the academic year.
The History Postgraduate Room is based within the Department and offers all our students the chance to work independently on their projects in a friendly and supportative atmosphere, in close contact with other students and members of staff.
Each MA student is assigned an academic supervisor. They offer guidance, support and monitor the progress of your research. They are there to ensure that you master all the appropriate research skills and that the project comes to its successful conclusion. In addition the MA Director keeps in regular touch with all the MA students and is available to offer academic feedback and pastoral care. Particular attention is dedicated to part-time and modular students and we take great pride in making sure that all our students feel part of the Department.
Last but not least, because of the high number of successful postgraduate programmes that attract a large number of students to our University each year, you will meet many young researchers coming from various parts of the UK and from abroad. The Postgraduate Welcome Event in early October will help you settle in and find your way around our beautiful campus.
Our students can rely on a wide range of excellent resources.
The University Library holds 1.2 million catalogued books and subscribes to over 17,000 e-journals.
The Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) has an impressive library and it houses one of the most comprehensive national collections of objects, books and archives relating to the history of food, farming and the countryside in the country. Some of the most important collections include the Archive of British Publishing and Printing and the Samuel Beckett Collection. The Museum’s collections have MLA Designated Status by the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council ensuring their importance is recognised nationally and internationally.
The Visual Resource Centre holds an important collection of visual materials that covers a range of art historical periods from antiquity up to the 21st century, and includes images of both art and architecture, as well as some relating to photography and design.
The Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology is the fourth largest collection of Greek ceramics in Britain.
The Berkshire Record Office and the BBC Written archives are in easy reach from the University Campus. The University of Reading is also conveniently located near London and Oxford. Our students can take advantage of the fast train connection to London and carry out day research trips to the National Archives in Kew, the British Library, the Bodleian Library and many other research centre and institutions in the London and Oxford areas.
The School of Law is part of the world-ranked University of Reading, rated among the UK's most research intensive institutions and one of the UK's largest, best-known and most successful campus universities. We are ideally located in the thriving town of Reading, just 25 minutes by train from London, and at the heart of the employment-rich Thames Valley region.
With attractive views of Whiteknights Lake and surrounded by parkland, the School of Law is situated in an architecturally significant grade 2 listed building on the University's main campus. Among the most satisfied law students in the UK, our students benefit from a dynamic and international learning environment, high quality teaching and courses supported by the latest research, state-of-the-art facilities, opportunites to gain practical real-world experience and our links with graduate employers.
Our leading undergraduate degree and postgraduate masters courses are designed to prepare students to work in the legal profession but with law graduates in high demand they also provide a route into many other areas. We also offer a wide range of leading postgraduate research opportunities.
- Advanced Legal Studies - LLM
- Human Rights - LLM
- International Commercial Law - LLM
- International Commercial Law With Information Technology Law and Commerce - LLM
- International Commercial Law with Insolvency Law and Corporate Rescue - LLM
- International Commercial Law with Intellectual Property Law and Management - LLM
- International Commercial Law With International Banking Law and Financial Regulation - LLM
- International Commercial Law With International Corporate Finance - LLM
- International Commercial Law with International Dispute Resolution (Arbitration) - LLM
- International Commercial Law with International Economic Law - LLM
- International Law - LLM
- International Law with Conflict - LLM
- International Law with Development - LLM
- International Law with Transnational Law - LLM
- Law - MRes
- Law and Society - MRes
- Legal History - MA by Research
- Legal Practice Course - LPC
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law PGDL
- Research Thesis - LLM
The Graduate Institute of Political and International Studies (GIPIS) at the University of Reading was established as the Graduate School of European and International Studies (GSEIS) in the mid-1960's, one of the leading multi-disciplinary centres of teaching and research in European and International Studies in the UK.
GIPIS has always had a very strong intake of international students, every year attracting at least 50 per cent of students from outside the UK. A significant number of our students continue their education at GIPIS immediately after their first degree, many joining us to advance a career they have already entered. The Institute's teaching and research covers important aspects of:
European Political and Economic Integration and Culture,
Strategy and Defence,
Arms Control and Non-Proliferation,
Security and Terrorism,
International Political Economy,
The Politics of Mediterranean Countries,
Africa and the Middle East, Asia-Pacific,
Political Theory and Public Ethics
Within the School there is a Seminar Series. The School and GIPIS maintain a regular programme of visiting speakers. They contribute expertise and cutting-edge research output in all areas of the study of politics and international studies, thus allowing students to expand their knowledge beyond their immediate area of studies.
For more than thirty years, the Department of Typography & Graphic Communication at Reading has been the only one of its kind in a British university.
We have developed a unique approach to the subject through a combination of practice, theory and history. Our special strengths lie in editorial and information design, in electronic publishing and in the history of printing and letterforms. Each of these is represented in our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, in the research interests of our members of staff and in works published by the Department, such as Typography papers.
We also have a Design & Print Unit that not only provides our students with a ‘laboratory’ of design for print, but also acts as a printing facility for the University.
Reading, which is situated halfway between London and Oxford, is very well placed for postgraduate study. It has excellent library facilities on its main campuses and within the Department. In addition, the University has a number of outstanding collections relating to typography and graphic communication.
At the Institute of Education, we design our programmes to challenge, inspire and equip you to become an outstanding educational practitioner and teacher, with the amazing potential to transform lives.
We have a vested interest in the big debates and questions about education and encourage our students to get involved, challenge preconceptions and the status quo.
Study with us and you will learn with a diverse and incredibly experienced community of academics and world leading researchers. You will benefit from the breadth of their expertise and experiences of educating and influencing policy – both through their teaching and supervision
and through getting to know them as part of our close-knit and open community.
- Early Years Practice (EYTS) - PGCert
- Education - MA
- Education (Early Years) - MA
- Education (Inclusive Education) - MA
- Education (Leadership and Management) - MA
- Education (Music Education) - MA
- Education (Research Methods) - MA
- Education (Second Language Learning and Teaching) - MA
- National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination (SENCO) - PGCert
- Primary Education - PGCE
- Primary Education with Early Years (3-7) - PGCE
- Primary with Mathematics (5-11) - PGCE
- Primary with Special Educational Needs (5-11) - PGCE
- Reflective Practice - PGCert
- Secondary Art and Design - PGCE
- Secondary Computer Science - PGCE
- Secondary Design and Technology - PGCE
- Secondary Drama - PGCE
- Secondary Education - PGCE
- Secondary English - PGCE
- Secondary Geography - PGCE
- Secondary History - PGCE
- Secondary Mathematics - PGCE
- Secondary Modern Foreign Language (French) - PGCE
- Secondary Modern Foreign Language (German) - PGCE
- Secondary Modern Foreign Language (Spanish) - PGCE
- Secondary Music - PGCE
- Secondary Physical Education - PGCE
- Secondary Religious Education - PGCE
- Secondary Science Physics with Mathematics - PGCE
- Secondary Science with Biology - PGCE
- Secondary Science: Chemistry - PGCE
- Secondary Science: Physics - PGCE
A University of high standing
The University of Reading is one of the UK's leading research-intensive universities and is in the top 200 worldwide (QS World University Rankings 2018). It has over 150 years of history, with origins as a University of Oxford extension college.
Providing a globalised educational experience
The Graduate Institute itself attracts around 90 MSc/MA students each year to study at Reading, typically coming from 40 countries – and as such is an outstanding example of a globalised educational experience. In recent years we have attracted students from throughout Africa, South and East Asia, South America, Europe and the Middle East. This broad international mix, which includes both young graduates and experienced mid-career professionals, helps create a unique learning environment for all students.
Internationally recognised teaching expertise
We are world leaders in teaching and research in the natural and social sciences relating to agriculture, the food chain, rural environments and the countryside and international development . Our work covers the businesses and people associated with these sectors (such as food and agribusiness, rural livelihoods, communities and consumers), and the policy and political environments in which they function locally, nationally, regionally and globally. In our subject area, the School is consistently ranked as having teaching of the highest quality by numerous newspaper university subject ratings and by student surveys.
Recent GIIDAE graduates went on to work for the Department of Energy and Climate Change, United Nations, Economic & Social Research Council, BBC World Service (News and Current Affairs department), FAO (UN Food and Agriculture Organization) and also onto study for PhDs.
Whether you see your future within the academic, business, government or NGO sector, GIIDAE's courses offer a stepping stone to a rewarding and worthwhile career.
Reading – the town
Reading is superbly located on the river Thames, with excellent road and rail access. Heathrow airport is a short bus-link service away. London, Oxford and Windsor are all within 35 minutes travelling distance.
Reading offers some of the best retail and entertainment experiences in the Thames Valley yet is surrounded by beautiful countryside, ideal for country walks and pub lunches. Henley with its famous regatta, is local to Reading as are many other picturesque riverside towns and villages.
Located in the prosperous Thames Valley, Reading is rich in investment and employment opportunities. Its buoyant economy offers plentiful work for both current students and new graduates. A degree from the University of Reading is well regarded by employers in business and industry.
The University campus is set in a mature parkland of over 160 hectares. The on campus facilities include halls of residence, a sportspark, shops, bars, eateries, a chaplaincy and Reading Film Theatre. First class resources are supported by world-class teaching. The University’s ongoing investment in high-quality teaching and learning facilities ensures its staff and students can achieve their full potential.
The Graduate Institute is located in a new building with state-of-the-art lecturing facilities, a PC lab with 24-hour access, wireless internet connection and its own catering facility.
- Agricultural and Food Economics - MSc by Research
- Agricultural Economics - MSc
- Agriculture and Development - MSc
- Agriculture, Ecology and Environment - MSc by Research
- Animal Science - MSc by Research
- Applied International Development - MSc
- Climate Change and Development - MSc
- Communication for Development - MSc
- Consumer Behaviour - MSc
- Development Finance - MSc
- Environment and Development - MSc
- Food Economics and Marketing - MSc
- Food Security and Development - MSc
- Construction Cost Management - MSc
- Construction Management - MSc
- Construction Management & International Development - MSc
- Design and Management of Sustainable Built Environments - MSc
- Digital Design and Construction - MSc
- Project Management - MSc
- Renewable Energy: Technology and Sustainability - MSc
- Advancing Healthcare Practice - MSc
- Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience - MSc by Research
- Chemical Research - MSc
- Formulation Design and Analysis - MSc by Research
- Independent and Supplementary Prescribing for Allied Health Professionals - PGCert
- Independent and Supplementary Prescribing for Nurses (Levels 6 and 7) - PGCert
- Independent and Supplementary Prescribing for Pharmacists - PGCert
- Pharmacy Practice - MSc by Research
- Pharmacy Practice - PGCert
- Pharmacy Practice - PGDip
- Physician Associate - MSc
- Reflective Practice for Prescribers - PGCert
- Work-Based Learning - PGCert
- Cognitive Neuroscience - MSc
- Evidence-Based Psychological Treatment - PGCert
- Evidence-Based Psychological Treatment - PGDip
- Language Sciences - MSc
- Postgraduate Professional Development Certificate/Diploma in Evidence-Based Psychological Treatment
- Psychology Conversion - MSc
- Research Methods in Psychology - MSc
- Speech and Language Therapy - MSc
- Theory and Practice in Clinical Psychology (with Clinical or Research Placement) - MSc
- Traumatic Stress Studies - PGCert
Distinctive, engaging focused
Henley is a world-renowned international business school based in the UK. Operating in 17 countries; ranked among the top schools in Europe; and being one of only 53 business schools in the world to hold triple-accredited status, Henley has a truly global reputation and reach.
We are known for developing outstanding business professionals and leaders - and our distinctive approach is proven to deliver results. Focused and engaging in every sense, Henley is best placed to make an impact on your career and life.
• AACSB – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
• AMBA – The Association of MBAs
• EQUIS – European Quality Improvement System
Centres of Excellence
Henley draws on a wealth of knowledge from centres of excellence within the school. These include the ICMA Centre (International Capital Markets Association) - Europe’s first active collaboration between the securities industry and academia; the largest centre in the UK for teaching and research in real estate and planning; one of the world’s premier centres for teaching and research in international business and the highly specialist Informatics Research Centre.
Research and expertise
Our research furthers understanding of complex international business issues and delivers ground-breaking thinking that has world impact. We are home to nearly 150 academic faculty, many of whom are widely published; cited experts and regularly feature in the media. Research at Henley is both pure and applied and is driven through 14 internationally-recognised research centres. We work closely with governments and organisations internationally and help to drive the global research agenda across a uniquely broad range of fields including: Business Informatics, Systems and Accounting, ICMA Centre (Finance), International Business and Strategy, Leadership, Organisations and Behaviour, Marketing and Reputation and Real Estate and Planning.
Henley’s Masters programmes span key subjects that relate to general business and the School’s distinct areas of specialism: accounting, coaching, finance, international business, informatics, international management, marketing, real estate and planning.
Across its two campuses in the UK, Henley Business School provides cutting-edge teaching and learning facilities, including the most extensive non-investment bank dealing room operation in the world; conference-standard lecture theatres and high-quality seminar and syndicate rooms; dedicated office space and two exclusive Academic Resource Centres.
Find out more at www.henley.reading.ac.uk/pg or www.facebook.com/henleypg
- Accounting and Finance - MSc
- Accounting and Financial Management - MSc
- Accounting and International Management - MSc
- Behavioural Finance - MSc
- Business Technology Consulting - MSc
- Corporate Finance - MSc
- Doctor of Business Administration - DBA
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation - MSc
- Executive MBA - Global
- Finance - MSc
- Finance and Financial Technology (FinTech) - MSc
- Financial Risk Management - MSc
- Flexible Executive MBA
- Information Management & Digital Business – Big Data in Business - MSc
- Information Management & Digital Business – Digital Health and Data Analytics - MSc
- Information Management & Digital Business – Digital Innovation - MSc
- International Business and Digital Transformation - MSc
- International Business and Finance - MSc
- International Human Resource Management - MSc
- Investment Management - MSc
- Leadership - MA
- Management - MSc
- Management (International Business) - MSc
- Marketing (Consumer Marketing) - MSc
- Marketing (Digital Marketing) - MSc
- Marketing (International Marketing) - MSc
- Real Estate - MSc
- Real Estate (Flexible) - MSc
- Real Estate Finance - MSc
- Real Estate Investment and Finance (Flexible) - MSc
- Spatial Planning and Development - MSc