University of Hertfordshire
You bring the dream; we’ll help you make it at Herts. We offer a huge variety of postgraduate courses and research degrees covering everything from Animation to Sustainable Planning, with flexible study options that work around you. And with expert guidance and support as well as fantastic links to business we can help make your dreams your reality.
Why choose postgraduate study at Herts?
- Future employment: 95.6% of our postgraduates are in work or further study*
- Industry connections: Links with over 1,700 businesses and work placements options
- Industry accreditation: We offer over 40 industry accredited courses
- Financial support: No application fees, 20% postgraduate fee discount for University of Hertfordshire graduates, as well as £11,222 of postgraduate funding available*
- Location: Hertfordshire has been voted the UK’s best place to live and is just 25 minutes from London
- Fantastic facilities: Multi-million-pound facilities include a £10m law building featuring a full-scale replica crown court room.
* 95.6% of our full-time postgraduates are in work or further study within 15 months of finishing their degrees (of those available for work or study, latest Graduate Outcomes Survey 2017-18).
Postgraduate Virtual Experience and Open Events
Find out more about postgraduate life at the University of Hertfordshire by viewing our virtual experience where you can speak to our postgraduate students, find out more about funding options and the career support we offer.
The University of Hertfordshire has a stimulating and vibrant research community which will fully support you as you pursue your path towards academic excellence. We offer a wide variety of research degrees to suit your personal and professional interests and goals. Students benefit from a range of events, bringing together junior and senior researchers promoting interdisciplinary collaboration, as well as financial and wellbeing support.
The University of Hertfordshire has been ranked 21st in the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) 2019 for overall student satisfaction in research degree programmes. The 2019 results are based on 103 institutions with over 50,000 respondents. Our individual research degree programmes also performed well as shown below:
- Ranked 1st for overall experience for Business and Economics research degree programmes
- Ranked 1st for Education Research culture and Research skills
Our history and your future…
Our vision is to transform lives. This means whatever your background, wherever you are from, we will drive your potential, powering you to succeed.
Our students, businesses and the local community are all motivated by the same thing. Finding ways to make the most of the opportunities in front of them, by tapping into their individual or collective potential. Powering Potential is embedded in our philosophy. This means – to transform lives, we not only find potential, we harness it and drive it.
Hertfordshire Schools of expertise:
- Hertfordshire Business School
- School of Computer Science
- School of Creative Arts
- School of Education
- School of Engineering and Technology
- School of Health and Social Work
- School of Humanities
- School of Law
- School of Life and Medical Sciences
- School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics
- UH Online
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Chat to a student ambassador at The University of Hertfordshire
Department / School information and available programmes:
The University of Hertfordshire is one of the largest state universities in the United Kingdom with a 27,700-strong student community and 2,900 international students from over eighty-five different countries, alongside a global network of over 170,000 alumni, the University is one of the most diverse and multicultural universities in Britain. We were named as the Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2010 by Times Higher Education (THE) (Times Higher Education, November 2010), and ranked in the top 4% of all universities in the world according to the recent THE World University Rankings.
We are located in south-east England, close to London, with easy access to major road and rail networks, and three international airports, Heathrow, Luton and Stansted. As such, we can offer the 'best of both worlds' - a campus university, with excellent teaching, learning, residential and sports facilities, in a green and safe environment, yet only 20 minutes from central London.
About the Hertfordshire Business School (HBS)
At HBS we have been teaching Business since 1965 and have a range of different Business courses available at Bachelor's, Master's and research levels.
We offer taught Master's programmes in subject areas such as: Accounting and Finance, Business and Management, Marketing, Human Resource Management and Tourism. We also offer research degrees such as the DBA and DMan.
We have excellent links with local, national and international business, enabling us to provide high quality work placement opportunities within all undergraduate programmes. Our exchange partnerships in more than 90 partner institutions facilitate student exchange in Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa and Australia.
Research and Teaching Excellence
In 2008, in the University Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), 80% of the School’s research activities were rated as either ‘world leading’, ‘internationally excellent’ or ‘recognised internationally’. The School has recognised research strengths in complexity and management, finance and accounting, institutional economics, employment studies and migration and foreign investment.
State-of-the-art Learning Facilities
The Hertfordshire Business School is based on our state-of-the-art de Havilland campus with comfortable, fully-equipped lecture theatres and teaching rooms. The University’s LRCs are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and provide a total of 2500 study spaces, and an extensive collection of books and online journals.
While you are on and off campus you can access the University’s online journals through StudyNet, our online learning environment. StudyNet also provides you with your own individual web space, customised for your programme of study. This means you can use it to view lecture notes, join in class discussions and find out the latest news on your course and from around the University. For a demonstration of StudyNet visit: www.studynet.herts.ac.uk/open_index.html
Around 3,400 students live on campus in a fantastic range of University-owned and managed halls. The Forum, a state-of-the-art, £38 million, entertainment space accommodating up to 2000 people including a style bar, balcony area and mini club area, is the perfect environment to socialise after lectures.
Our £15 million Sports Village offers some of the best university sports facilities in the country, including a swimming pool and a state-of-the-art fitness centre, with facilities for a range of sports including football, rugby, cricket, squash and climbing.
With London so close by, many students take the opportunity to visit at the weekend to sample the cultural delights of the UK's capital city. Students also benefit from the wide range of part time jobs available locally and our student union provides help for students looking for part-time employment.
- Business Analytics and Consultancy - MSc
- Business Psychology - MSc
- Economics - MRes
- Finance - MRes
- Finance and Investment Banking (placement option available) - MSc
- Global Business - MSc
- Hospitality, Leisure, Tourism and Transport - MRes
- Human Resource Management (placement option available) - MA/PgDip
- Human Resources Management - MRes
- International Business (placement option available) - MSc
- International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management (placement option available) - MSc
- Management (pathway options available) - MSc
- Management Studies - MRes
- Management with Digital Marketing - MSc
- Management with Logistics and Supply Chain Management - MSc
- Management with Sustainability - MSc
- Marketing - MRes
- Master of Business Administration - MBA
- Project Management - MSc
- Supply Chain Management - MSc
School of Computer Science, University of Hertfordshire
We are one of the largest computer science departments in the country - and one of the most established. We have educated thousands of students since the 1960s, laying the foundations for them to go on learning new skills throughout their careers.
We also use our accumulated knowledge and technology resources in internationally-recognised research and to meet the varied consultancy needs of our industry partners.
* The School celebrated the 40th anniversary of its computer science undergraduate degree in 2006.
* We offer a wide range of courses, which blend academic excellence with vocational relevance.
* Many of our thousands of alumni work in rewarding and demanding jobs in IT and related areas, often in senior positions.
We offer a wide variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that can lead either to a broad-based or more specialist qualification. Most are full-time and campus-based but there are also flexible study routes. For example, many courses or individual modules are available online.
Our core areas are software development, software engineering, network technologies, databases and the web, and applications relating to business, new media and robotics.
* Our BSc Honours Computer Science and BSc Honours Information Technology provide you with a wide choice of degree titles and modules with the opportunity for specialism, and an optional paid placement year.
* The Direct Entry to the Final Year of the BSc enables those with a Foundation Degree or other two-year advanced diploma to "top-up" to a degree.
* Our Master's programmes offer a range of advanced, specialist degree titles for computer science graduates and routes into Computer Science for graduates in other disciplines.
* Our pioneering online courses permit you to study in your own time at home, at work, or in local study centres.
Our academic staff are highly qualified (most have a PhD or other advanced degree) and bring the benefit of research or first-hand professional experience to their teaching.
One of our major goals is to prepare you for professional employment, through our links with business, the use of special teaching material, and our placements programme with major employers such as Accenture, GlaxoSmithKline and Sun Microsystems. In addition, we offer optional industrial certification with Cisco CCNA already running and more planned for 2008.
21st Century Resources
As a student, you have access to 13 computing laboratories on the College Lane campus equipped with modern hardware and software including specialist facilities for networking and multimedia.
All major modern software packages are available, many for downloading onto your own PC including most MS Developer software through our membership of the Microsoft Academic Alliance.
Computer Science students also make extensive use of the University’s ground-breaking online study environment, StudyNet as well as the 24/7 Learning Resources Centres with over 2,900 study places, 1,500 workstations and wi-fi access.
The School is involved in various commercial activities, including several active Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs). We can offer consultancy in several specialist areas and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) based on our online material thus suitable for work-based learning.
We have an excellent track record in research, achieving a rating of ‘4’ in the last three national assessments (RAE). The Science and Technology Research Institute is the hub for most of this activity and hosts several project groups.
Particular areas of expertise are robotics and artificial life, speech recognition, software engineering and the application of technology to learning and teaching. We run an active Ph.D programme.
The School is a diverse community with international connections. Over the years we have welcomed students from many different countries, cultures and backgrounds, including mature students and those with disabilities.
The Independent Science and Technology Studies (IST) institution in Athens and Fuzhou University, China, also deliver courses leading to University of Hertfordshire awards. Other partner colleges and universities offer local study support for our online degrees.
- Advanced Computer Science (Online) - MSc
- Advanced Computer Science (placement option available) - MSc
- Artificial Intelligence (Online) - MSc
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (placement option available) - MSc
- Computer Networks and Systems Security (placement option available) - MSc
- Computer Networks and Systems Security with Advanced Research - MSc
- Computer Science - MSc
- Cyber Security (placement and research option available) - MSc
- Cyber Security with Advanced Research - MSc
- Data Science - MSc
- Data Science and Analytics (placement option available) - MSc
- Data Science and Analytics with Advanced Research - MSc
- Software Engineering (placement option available) - MSc
- Animation - MA
- Architecture and Urbanism - MArch
- Art Therapy - MA
- Audio Engineering (Music and Sound Technology) - MA
- Contemporary Crafts - MA
- Contemporary Textiles - MA
- Creative Arts - MRes
- Creative Music Production - MA
- Digital Media Arts - MA
- Digital Media Processing and Biometrics - MRes
- Fashion - MA
- Film - MRes
- Fine Art - MA
- Games Art and Design - MA
- Global Film and Television (Online) - MA
- Graphic Design - MA
- Illustration - MA
- Interior Architecture & Design - MA
- MA Film Production
- Music and Sound for Film and Games - MSc
- Photography - MA
- Product Design - MA
- Screenwriting - MA
- Early Childhood Education - MA
- Education - MA, PgCert
- Education - MRes
- Educational Leadership - MA
- MA Mental Health and Wellbeing in Education
- Outdoor Environmental Education - MSc, PgCert, PgDip
- Primary and Secondary School Direct Initial Teacher Education PGCE
- Primary Education - PGCE and ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Art and Design) - PGCE/ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Biology) - PGCE/ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Business Education) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Chemistry) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Computing) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (English) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Geography) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (History) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Mathematics) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Modern Foreign Languages) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Physical Education) - PGCE and ProfGCE
- Secondary Education (Physics) - PGCE/ ProfGCE
- Secondary Education Teaching (multiple subjects available) PGCE
- SEND and Inclusion - MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) - MA
A warm welcome to the School of Engineering and Technology, at the University of Hertfordshire. Join us and you will be studying at one of the UK’s most forward-thinking universities, with high academic standards and a real sense of community. The University is located on a beautiful green campus, yet within easy reach of London for those occasions when you want to enjoy the cultural attractions of the capital city. One of the University’s great strengths is our close ties with industry. Here you will benefit from postgraduate degree programmes that respond directly to the needs of business, the public sector and the Engineering and Technology professions – making you an attractive proposition for employers and equipping you to meet 21st century challenges with confidence.
You will learn from experienced teaching and research staff, and use some of the best specialist facilities in the country. Our extensive and high-quality facilities include a flight simulator, machine shop, sophisticated computer-aided engineering packages and System-on-Chip, telecommunications and embedded systems laboratories. Our consultancy expertise is in great demand and we have a strong research culture with wide-ranging interests in a variety of specialist areas. Our established relationships with many leading names in industry add a valuable dimension to your learning experience.
Vibrant academic culture
The School has a thriving postgraduate student population and is proud to recruit students from all over the world. This lively and multinational character is guaranteed to enrich your studies.
Our teaching staff are qualified professional engineers who will offer you encouragement and guidance to help you in your studies. Their prime concern is in teaching and the care of students, but they all have industrial experience and are involved in research, consultancy or links with industry so that they can draw on case studies and applications to give you an education which is relevant to your subsequent career.
Why choose the University of Hertfordshire
This really is an exciting time to accept a place with us. The University has made major investment – £200 million over the last ten years, with a further £100 million committed over the next five years – which means you will be living and learning in an outstanding and stimulating environment
The School has around 250 postgraduate students studying for a taught master’s degree or a PhD. The following taught master’s programmes are offered on a one-year, full-time basis:
• MSc Advanced Digital Systems
• MSc Broadband Telecommunication Networks
• MSc Data Communications and Networks
• MSc Embedded Intelligent Systems
• MSc Radio and Mobile Communication Systems
• MSc Biometrics and Cybersecurity
• MSc Internet Engineering
• MSc Aerospace Engineering
• MSc Automotive Engineering
• MSc Manufacturing Management
• MSc Operations and Supply Chain Management
• MSc Mechanical Engineering
Further details can be found on the School website at: go.herts.ac.uk/et
To Apply for a Place
Students may apply online by visiting our website: www.herts.ac.uk and following the links for ‘Courses’ and ‘How to Apply’.
Research programmes leading to the award of PhD, MPhil or MRes are negotiated on an individual basis. For more information or to apply for a place, please send an email to L.Nicholls@herts.ac.uk
The University of Hertfordshire is keen to attract talented students and is therefore offering scholarships. For full details please check the website for fees and funding.
We have a great variety of student living accommodation and international students studying for the first time in the UK are guaranteed university accommodation (deadline dates apply). Some areas of accommodation are allocated exclusively to postgraduate students. For comprehensive information please contact the Residential Allocations office by email to email@example.com
• Total number of students at the University: approximately 23,000
• Nearest main international airport: London Heathrow
• Nearest railway station: Hatfield
University of Hertfordshire,
Hatfield AL10 9AB,
- Aerospace Engineering - MRes
- Aerospace Engineering - MSc
- Automotive Engineering - MSc
- Communications and Information Engineering - MSc
- Electronics Engineering - MSc
- Manufacturing Management - MSc
- Materials and Structures - MRes
- Mechanical Engineering - MRes
- Mechanical Engineering - MSc
- Microfluidics and Microengineering - MRes
- Optical Networks - MRes
- Power Electronics and Control - MSc
- Radio and Mobile Communications Systems - MRes
- Software Engineering (placement option available) - MSc
- Sustainable Energy Technologies - MRes
- Adolescent, Child and Family Health - MRes
- Advanced Clinical Practice - MSc
- Advanced Medical Imaging - MSc
- Advanced Paramedic Practice - MSc
- Advanced Physiotherapy - MSc
- Advanced Radiotherapy and Oncology Practice - MSc
- Advancing Clinical Pharmacy Practice - MSc
- Clinical Medicine - MRes
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - MSc
- Contemporary Nursing - MSc
- Food and Public Health - MRes
- Health Services Research - MRes
- Mental Health Recovery and Social Inclusion (Online) - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Midwifery - MRes
- Midwifery - MSc
- Midwifery and Women's Health - MSc
- Nursing - MRes
- Nursing (Adult) - MSc
- Nursing (Learning Disabilities) - MSc
- Nursing (Mental Health) - MSc
- Older People’s Health and Complex Conditions - MRes
- Optometry - MRes
- Patient Experience and Public Involvement - MRes
- Physiotherapy - MRes
- Physiotherapy (pre-registration) - MSc
- Primary and Community Care - MRes
- Radiotherapy - MRes
- Social Work - MRes
- Social Work - MSc
- Social Work (Step Up to Social Work) - PgDip
- Specialist Community Nursing (Community Children's Nursing) - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Specialist Community Nursing (Community District Nursing) - PgDip/PgCert/MSc
- Specialist Community Nursing (General Practice Nursing) - PgDip/MSc/PgCert
- Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (Health Visiting) - MSc/PgCert/PgDip
- Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (School Nursing) - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Supplementary Prescribing (Diagnostic Radiographer, Dietician) - Practice Certificate
- Creative Writing - MA
- English Language and Communication - MRes
- English Literature - MRes
- Folklore Studies - MA
- History - MRes
- International Relations (available with placement) - MA
- Journalism & Media Communications (available with placement) - MA
- Literature and Culture (Online) - MA
- Philosophy - MRes
- Bar Practice - LLM
- Business Law - LLM
- Energy Law and the Environment - LLM
- Governance, Risk Management and Compliance - LLM
- Intellectual Property and Data Protection Law - LLM
- International Commercial Law - LLM
- International Financial Law - LLM
- International Human Rights Law - LLM
- International Law - LLM
- IT Law and Policy - LLM
- Law - MRes
- Legal Practice - LLM
- Master of Laws LLM
Life and Medical Sciences, Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
The Department focuses on some of life sciences most exciting and rapidly evolving disciplines - biosciences, nutrition, and environmental sciences - where up-to-the-minute knowledge and practical skills are essential.
Active in research, consultancy and training and with strong links to education and commerce worldwide, we deliver career-relevant programmes in all three areas.
We offer the only Pharmacovigilance MSc in the UK, attracting students from the EU, the USA and beyond.
At our dedicated Science Training Centre we’ve trained over 12,000 scientists from across the biological and pharmaceutical industries since 1990.
We also offer excellent opportunities to travel and gain valuable work experience with well-known employers.
All our subject areas (Biosciences; Sport, Exercise and Health; and Geography, Environment and Agriculture) - are based at the College Lane campus.
Across the disciplines, we provide flexible programme options for over 1,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students. Courses cover biotechnology, pharmacology, geography and more. Subjects such as environmental management and public health can also be studied part-time, while a combined sports studies degree provides a broad grounding in management, development and coaching.
We encourage students to achieve their best by offering research-led course content, practice in applying skills, and a friendly environment. We also have a highly qualified and experienced academic staff, widely recognised for their expertise.
Extensive computing and informatics resources are complemented by several well-equipped specialist laboratories, staffed by experts.
Biosciences research facilities cover fermentation biotechnology, high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), cell culture, molecular biology and pharmacology.
We have four dedicated laboratories for geographical and environmental science. They house field study materials and aerial photography; IT and research resources for geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing; equipment for testing sediments; petrological microscopes; geological maps; and a rock and fossil collection.
Our newly refurbished Sports facilities comprise six purpose-built laboratories and a therapy room with an adjacent sports injuries clinic. State-of-the-art sport, exercise and therapy equipment is located here, including systems for analysis and electrotherapy. Our large environmental chamber, with a temperature range of -20 - +40 degrees Celsius, is used by national teams to help with heat acclimation.
We have long-standing partnerships with leading industry players who directly access our expertise and resources.
At our world-renowned Science Training Centre we run popular short courses in biosciences and environmental management, which can be tailored to company needs. Our scientists also provide industry with consultancy, laboratory services and interactive elearning media.
At the Biodeterioration Centre we carry out microbiological testing on water, air and aircraft fuel for companies such as leisure centres, investment banks, pharmaceutical firms and supermarkets.
We also consult on diverse geographical and environmental issues, such as EU policy, remote sensing and GIS, plant disease diagnosis, and local government organisation and planning.
In science and health our capabilities cover cardiovascular and lactate testing, weight management, sports injuries, sports psychology support and nutrition.
We are strong in research, managing an active agenda in four areas of expertise. These are biotechnology and molecular biology; geography, environment and agriculture; pharmacology; and applied and health aspects of sports science.
In different ways our projects aim to improve people’s quality of life. They currently focus on applying biotechnology and molecular biology to the environment and plant productivity, analysis of air pollution, the geography of transport planning, diagnosis of tuberculosis, and the role of exercise in reducing mortality from obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS)
Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)
- Cancer Immunotherapy (placement option available) - MSc
- Cardiology and Stroke - MSc
- Clinical Dermatology - MSc
- Clinical Radiographic Reporting - MSc
- Clinical Skin Integrity and Wound Management - MSc
- Drug Discovery and Toxicology (placement option available) - MSc
- Environmental Management - MSc
- Environmental Management for Agriculture - MSc
- Environmental Sciences - MRes
- Health and Medical Education - MSc
- Health and Medical Simulation - MSc
- Master of Public Health (Online)
- Medical Microbiology (placement option available) - MSc
- Microbiology - MRes
- Molecular Biology, Biophysics and Biochemistry - MRes
- Molecular Biotechnology (placement option available) - MSc
- Occupational Psychology - MSc
- Paramedic Sciences - MRes
- Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy - MRes
- Pharmacovigilance - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Pharmacy - MRes
- Pharmacy - Overseas Pharmacists Assessment Programme (OSPAP) - PgDip
- Pharmacy Practice - MSc/PgDip
- Physician Associate Studies - MSc
- Psychology - MSc
- Research in Clinical Psychology - MSc
- Skin Lesion Management - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Sports Science - MRes
- Sustainable Planning - MSc
- Sustainable Planning and Environmental Management - MSc
- Sustainable Planning and Transport - MSc
- Transport Planning (available with placement) - MSc/PgCert/PgDip
- Water and Environmental Management - MSc
Here at the School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics, we pride ourselves on creating exceptional opportunities for students. Students have access to excellent teaching and research facilities, learn from practising scientists and mathematicians, and have ready access to get involved in research in our own laboratories or with external organisations.
The School of Physics Astronomy and Mathematics covers three cognate subject areas:
Our Physics staff in the Centre for Atmospheric and Instrumentation Research (CAIR) specialize in classical and quantum optics, investigating light scattering using lasers in applications including the study of atmospheric ice crystals, aerosols and pollutants.
The University’s Centre for Astrophysics Research (CAR) is one of the largest astronomy & astrophysics research groups in the country. Our interests extend from extrasolar planets to brown dwarfs, star formation, stellar evolution, the formation of galaxies and their evolution, radio galaxies and gamma-ray bursts.
Our Mathematics staff specialize in the optimisation of complex systems, computational modeling and financial mathematics. We use a blend of mathematical techniques, probability, statistics and computational techniques to model complex systems as they unfold, whether they are, for example, financial market data or aircraft trajectories. We also offer a taught Masters degree programme, namely the MSc Financial Market Analysis.
A range of specialist facilities support teaching, learning and research, on and off campus.
The School works in partnership with industry, public sector and technical organisations on a range of research. We have a record of success in applying our skills and expertise to specific practical problems.
Research in the School has been rated as world-leading and internationally excellent in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise. Research activity is very diverse, covering some of the most exciting topics in modern science including the astrophysics of stars, galaxies and black holes, classical and quantum physics, especially light-scattering radiative and atmospheric processes, and mathematical areas including optimisation, algorithms and financial modelling, amongst others.
Research programmes leading to the award of PhD, MPhil or MSc by Research are negotiated on an individual basis. For more information or to apply for a place, please send an email to L.Nicholls@herts.ac.uk
University of Hertfordshire