University of the Highlands and Islands
At UHI, our reputation is built on our innovative approach to learning, as well as our distinctive research and curriculum. At postgraduate level, many of our courses can be studied fully online from anywhere in the world; others are campus-based, where you will have access to research-active subject specialists. We are a multi-campus university with centres across Scotland; some courses are available in one location only, for others you may have a choice of campuses.
Postgraduate taught subjects
The university has postgraduate taught courses in a range of academic and vocational subjects, enhancing employability and career development. We received a score of 95% student satisfaction in the 2022 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey, the highest rating of any Scottish university, ranking us fourth in the UK out of the 91 participating institutions.
We also offer: PGDE Primary and Secondary Teaching in both Gaelic and English mediums.
Research is undertaken across the university and we are developing a strong reputation in a range of areas, supported by exceptional results in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework exercise, in which over two thirds of UHI research submitted for review achieved the top two grades: 4* (world leading) and 3* (internationally excellent).
Funding and Scholarships
Eligible Scotland-domiciled students studying full-time can access loans up to £10,000 from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). This comprises a tuition fee loan up to £5,500 and a non-income assessed living cost loan of £4,500.
Eligible Scotland-domiciled students studying part-time can apply for a tuition fee loan from SAAS. You must be intending to complete the course in no longer than twice the length of time it would take for a full-time student. For example, if your course is available to full-time students as a one-year programme, you will be funded for a maximum of two years' part-time study. If your course does not have a full-time option, you must complete within three years. You can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £5,500, which will be paid pro-rata for each academic year of study.
Full details can be found on the SAAS website. Applications for loans open in April.
Students from the rest of the UK who meet the eligibility requirements may be able to apply for a loan from the Student Loan Company.
If you are an international applicant, you can find further information at our international section.
We also have funded postgraduate research scholarships available, for more information please visit our Graduate School information pages.
Careers and Employability Centre
As a UHI postgraduate student you will have access to multiple networking and development opportunities. The services of the careers and employability centre will be available to you while you are studying with us and for two years after graduation.
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Department / School information and available programmes:
UHI is an integrated university, encompassing both further and higher education.
We are more than a college and more than a university: we are part of a new breed of tertiary institutions, the only one in Scotland and one of only a few in Europe.
Our greatest strength is the diversity and flexibility of our partnership, empowering us to deliver more to our communities.
We are proud of our deep roots and our unique place in our communities and are committed to connecting our teaching and research to their needs.
We offer flexible and supported learning from access level to PhD, which suits more people at more levels for more reasons.
There are 31,000 students at the heart of our partnership, and we are measured by their success.
Study where you want, when you want
University should be available to you no matter what your circumstances are, which is why we offer different, flexible ways of studying, so you can fit your learning around your lifestyle.
At UHI you can study part time or full time, from a distance, online, at one of our local learning centres, or at one of our main campuses – the choice is yours.
We use technology in an innovative way to ensure maximum flexibility in our courses and allow you to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments.
We are committed to widening access to, and participation in, higher education across our region. We aim to ensure that our curriculum offers flexible entry and progression routes, and that courses are available as widely as possible. Widening participation focuses on you: we want to encourage your higher education aspirations by providing all the support you need to make your transition and progression as successful as possible.
- Applied Social Sciences: Globalisation and Crime MSc
- Archaeological Practice MSc
- Archaeological Studies MLitt
- Art and Social Practice MA
- British Studies MLitt
- Business Administration (Aviation) MBA
- Business Administration (Environment) MBA
- Business Administration (Executive) MBA
- Business Administration (Renewable Energy) MBA
- Business Administration (Resilience) MBA
- Chartered Management Institute Level 11 Strategic Management and Leadership SCQF CMI Extended Diploma
- Children and Young People's Participation and Leadership MA
- Coastal and Maritime Societies and Cultures MLitt
- Contemporary Art and Archaeology MA
- Creativity, Leadership and Enterprise MA
- Critical Enquiry MEd
- Digital Pedagogy MEd
- Equine Leadership and Management PgCert
- Festival and Events Management PgCert
- Gaelic Education MEd
- Global Entrepreneurship PgCert
- Health Leadership and Management PgCert
- Highlands and Islands Literature MLitt
- History and Archaeology of the Highlands and Islands MLitt
- History MLitt
- History of the Highlands and Islands MLitt
- Human Resource Management MSc
- Interpretation: Management and Practice MSc
- Island Studies MLitt
- Leadership and Management MSc
- Management in Golf PgCert
- Material Culture and Gàidhealtachd History MSc
- Music and the Environment MA
- Music MMus
- Orkney and Shetland Studies MLitt
- Outdoor and Adventure Therapeutic Practice PgCert
- Primary (English Medium) PGDE
- Primary (Gaelic Medium) PGDE
- Research Methods PgCert
- Resilience Leadership and Management PgCert
- Scottish Heritage MLitt
- Secondary (English Medium) PGDE
- Secondary (Gaelic Medium) PGDE
- Specialist Qualification in Headship (and Educational Leadership) MED
- Teaching Qualification Further Education PgCert
- Tertiary and Higher Education MEd
- Tourism MSc
- Viking Studies MLitt
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Professional Practice MSc
- Algal Biotechnology and Bioeconomy MSc
- Applied Data Science MSc
- Aquaculture, Environment and Society MSc
- Electrical Engineering MSc
- Engineering (General) MSc
- Health and Wellbeing MA
- Healthcare Quality Improvement PgCert
- Infection Prevention and Control MSc
- Mechanical Engineering MSc
- Net Zero Communities MSc
- Oral Health Science MSc
- Psychology Conversion Msc
- Sustainable Energy Solutions MSc
- Sustainable Mountain Development MSc
- Sustainable Rural Development MSc
- Web Technologies MSc