London, United Kingdom
St Mary's University, Twickenham
With a reputation for fostering research since 1850, at St Mary's we pride ourselves on preparing our postgraduate students for successful careers across a variety of disciplines. We offer a broad range of taught MA and MSc course as well as MPhil and PhD research degrees. The University offers a learning experience of the highest quality that will further enhance your life skills as well as advancing your knowledge in your chosen field.
Located just 30 minutes from London Waterloo station, on a beautiful landscaped campus, we have a strong and well-established research culture with staff achieving national and international excellence. Research underpins all of our postgraduate courses and students are fully supported by experts in their field. In the REF 2014 (Research Excellence Framework) a number of our research submissions were rated as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent'. This includes English, Communication, Sport and History.
Along with research-led teaching, we pride ourselves on our pastoral and social support by taking into account the unique needs of postgraduate students who often have to balance their study with other commitments. We will help you achieve your goals by offering, when possible, a flexible approach to your study.
We offer a range of postgraduate programmes including our PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) which was rated Outstanding by Ofsted.
Library and Learning Technology Services
The University uses an online learning environment called simmsCAPital. This facilitates distance learning, the sharing of experiences between students and allows access to programme content, self- assessment tools and other learning support facilities. Masters programmes taught off campus mostly use this technology.
You will have access to the full text of online journals through databases including EBSCO (Academic Search Premier, Psych Info, etc), LexisNexis and Science Direct from your own home, workplace or wherever you can access the internet.
Our participation in various cooperative schemes means that our postgraduate students have access to over 150 academic libraries in the UK and Ireland. Students on part-time taught programmes and all those studying for an MPhil/PhD are entitled to borrowing facilities at many of these libraries.
Greater London Location
Whether you are studying full or part time, St Mary’s location is hard to beat and transport routes are excellent. We are situated in a leafy suburb just a few minutes away from the River Thames.
With Teddington and Twickenham within walking distance and the towns of Kingston and Richmond just a short bus ride away, you will find a huge range of entertainment, shops, cafés and restaurants. For fresh air, nearby Richmond Park and Bushy Park have hundreds of acres of beautiful, secluded woodland.
Postgraduate open events and booking information:
Tuition Fees and funding:
Research at St Mary's:
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Department / School information and available programmes:
Welcome to the School of Arts and Humanities. We are one of the creative, critical and research-rich hubs of St Mary's.
If you have an inquiring mind, a vivid imagination and strong ideas that you want to express creatively with others, then the courses that we offer will appeal to you.
Our postgraduate courses offer some highly specialised programmes of study including:
› Applied Linguistics and ELT
› Creative Writing: First Novel
› Gothic: Culture, Subculture, Counterculture
› Public History
› Sports Journalism
› Theatre Directing
St Mary's has an excellent library with an extensive collection of books and journals. The University also offers a range of computing facilities and electronic access to source materials held in other library collections.
- Bioethics and Medical Law - MA
- Catholic School Leadership - MA
- Catholic Social Teaching - MA PGDip PGCert
- Christian Spirituality - MA
- Creative Writing: First Novel - MA/PGDip/PGCert
- Diplomacy and International Relations - MA, PGDip, PGCert
- Education MA
- Education, International Development and Social Justice
- Education: Coaching and Mentoring MA, PGCert
- Education: Inclusive Practice MA
- Education: Leading Innovation and Change - MA/PGDip/PGCert
- Education: Pedagogy - MA/PGDip/PGCert
- Education: Physical Education MA
- Education: Religious Education MA
- Human Trafficking, Migration and Organised Crime - MA, PGDip, PGCert
- International and European Business Law - LLM
- International Business Law - LLM
- International Business Management - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- International Finance and Accounting
- International Sports Journalism - MA, PGDip, PGCert
- Law, Power and Human Rights LLM, PGDip, PGCert
- Literature, Culture and Society
- London Theatre - MA, PGDip, PGCert
- Marketing MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- National Award in Special Educational Needs Coordination PGCert
- Playwriting - MA, PGDip, PGCert
- Primary Education - PGCE
- Public History - MA/PGDip/PGCert
- Secondary Education PGCE (Multiple Subjects Available)
- Social Justice and Public Service
- Sports Journalism - MA/PGDip/PGCert
- Sports Management
- Theology - MA
The School of Sport, Health and Applied Science is an internationally-recognised centre with established expertise and resources in running undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the areas of sport, health and exercise sciences.
The following specific programmes are offered: sport science, sport rehabilitation, coaching science, strength and conditioning science, health and exercise science, and nutritional science. Furthermore, the School’s Centre for Short Courses and CPD offers a range of vocational courses for members of the local community wishing to develop careers in the area of sport, health and fitness.
The School is committed to offering students vocationally-relevant programmes of study with the highest academic standards. It has undergone rapid expansion in recent years, with the building of new facilities to support the programmes, and the employment of expert staff in the various fields of sport, health and exercise science.
All of the School’s teaching and learning activity is underpinned by significant research and consultancy (knowledge transfer) work, and staff are actively involved in professional associations.
- Applied Sport and Exercise Biomechanics
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Applied Sport Psychology - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Applied Sports Nutrition - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Behaviour Change (Online Master's Module)
- Chronic Disease Management - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Computer Science
- Human Nutrition - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Nutrition and Genetics - MSc
- Performance Football Coaching (Distance Learning)
- Physiotherapy (Pre-Registration) - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Professional Development: Performance Analysis
- Professional Development: Rugby Performance
- Professional Development: Sports Coaching
- Professional Development: Sports Officiating
- Psychology (Conversion)
- Psychology of Mental Health - MSc, PGDip, PGCert
- Public Health
- Sport Rehabilitation (Pre-Registration) - MSc/PGDip/PGCert
- Sport, Health and Applied Science - MRes/PGCert
- Strength and Conditioning (Distance Learning) - MSc/PGDip/PGCert