Heriot-Watt University is one of the world’s leading universities with strong links to international business and industry driven by our established reputation as a top research-led institution.
With a rich heritage stretching back to 1821, we are a truly global university bringing together scholars who are leaders in ideas and solutions delivering innovation, educational excellence and ground-breaking research.
Courses and Subject Areas
We offer over 180 Postgraduate courses that will provide you with the knowledge to solve real world challenges. There are around 2,400 postgraduate students studying at our Edinburgh Campus. It is a friendly, welcoming place, where you will have the opportunity to meet with students from all over the world.
- Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics
- Biological Chemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering
- Brewing and Distilling
- Building, Planning and Urban Design
- Chemical Sciences
- Civil/Safety/Water Engineering
- Climate Change: Managing the Marine Environment
- Computer Science
- Construction Management and Surveying
- Cultural Studies
- Energy and Renewables
- Fashion, Textiles and Design
- Food Science and Nutrition
- International Business Management
- International Marketing Management
- Leadership and Organisational Performance
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Photonics and Quantum Sciences
- Professional Communication
- Real Estate, Housing and Social Policy
- Sensors, Signals and Systems
- Translating and Interpreting
To browse all our specific courses, please visit our website.
Reputation and Rankings
Heriot-Watt is world-renowned for conducting ground-breaking research which is relevant to business and industry. We aim to find radical innovations and solutions to real world challenges for the benefit of society.
Heriot-Watt is regarded as a top UK university across a range of subject areas. The QS World’s University Rankings ranked Heriot-Watt 270th in the world, 33rd in UK and 5th in Scotland. The Complete University Guide 2022 ranked Heriot-Watt 23rd in the UK and 4th in Scotland. The National Student Survey revealed that 90% of our students were satisfied overall with their course in 11 of our 23 subject areas.
The international outlook of our university has been ranked 37th in the world, 13th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland by Times Higher Education World University Rankings. This is based on the percentage of the university's international staff, the level of international co-authorship of academic papers and the percentage of international students studying with the university. The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide named Heriot-Watt University ‘International University of the Year 2018’.
REF 2014 named Heriot-Watt in the top 25% of UK universities, with 82% of our research ranked as world-leading or internationally excellent. We ranked 9th university in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact.
Visit our website for more information on Rankings.
Tuition Fees, Funding and Finance
Tuition fees vary, depending on the programme you choose and where you come from. Information on tuition fees and funding can be found online.
You can find out how to pay here.
Effective financial planning is essential for all postgraduate students, whether you are funded or self-financing, a UK national or an international student. Estimated student budgets for those living both on and off campus available here
The British Council provides extensive information on student funding options.
Additional information on potential sources of University funding is available here.
We have new, state-of-the-art halls of residence on our Edinburgh Campus which provide spacious student accommodation. Find out more.
Postgraduate students are housed in self-catering halls, most with en-suite facilities and internet access, with wi-fi throughout. Find out more.
For help to find suitable accommodation off-campus please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on student accommodation at our Scottish Border Campus, click here.
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry
Department / School information and available programmes:
- Executive Business Administration - MBA
- Master of Business Administration (Online) - MBA
- MBA with Specialism in Finance (Online) - MBA
- MSc Business Analytics and Consultancy
- MSc Digital Leadership
- MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma in Business Studies
- Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma in Business Studies (Accelerated)
- Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma in Design Studies (Accelerated)
The School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society (EGIS) is one of the UK's leading institutions for multidisciplinary research and teaching in areas critical to economic development and societal equity.
The School is organised around six Institutes:
• Institute for Infrastructure and Environment (IIE)
• Institute of Life and Earth Sciences (ILES)
• Institute of Sustainable Building Design (ISBD)
• Institute for Social Policy, Housing, and Equalities Research (I-SPHERE)
• Institute of GeoEnergy Engineering (IGE)
• The Urban Institute (TUI).
We have an on-going commitment to high quality and innovative research as well as an evolving and well-established portfolio of taught postgraduate programmes. We have students from around the world studying full-time, part-time and by distance learning.
- Advanced Structural Engineering
- Applied Petroleum Geoscience
- Building Services Engineering (Online only)
- Civil Engineering and Construction Management
- Civil Engineering with Industry Placement
- Climate Change: Managing the Marine Environment
- Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying with Industry Placement
- Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying
- Construction Project Management
- Construction Project Management with Industry Placement
- Energy with Entrepreneurship
- Facilities Management
- Global Environmental Change and Policy
- International Marine Science
- Marine Biodiversity and Biotechnology
- Marine Renewable Energy
- Marine Resource Management and Policy
- Mature Field Management
- Petroleum Engineering
- Renewable Energy Development (RED)
- Reservoir Evaluation and Management
- Safety & Risk Management (Online only)
- Safety, Risk & Reliability Engineering (Online only)
- Spatial Planning and Real Estate Development
- Subsurface Energy Systems
- Urban Strategies and Design
The School of Engineering and Physical Sciences was established in 2002 and embraces the disciplines of Chemistry, Physics, Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Brewing & Distilling.
A range of Masters programmes are offered within these disciplines. This diversity reflects the interdisciplinary nature of research and associated industries, taking full advantage of the interactions between science and engineering.
Heriot-Watt University School of Engineering and Physical Sciences Master Programmes include:
MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering
MSc Brewing & Distilling
MSc Photonics and Optoelectronic Devices
MSc Renewable Energy Engineering
MSc Smart Systems Integration
Built on a strong foundation of core strengths in each of these areas, we have the expertise to tackle a wide range of challenging and important problems ranging from the truly fundamental to the fully applied and to provide high-level, specialised training to satisfy the needs of modern industry.
Our courses are designed to meet the needs of our students and their future employers. The School enjoys an international reputation for its research and its close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology, reflecting the importance that the University attaches to the quality of its teaching, research and student support.
Our graduates have always enjoyed an excellent reputation for their employability. Whilst many of them go on into careers in science and engineering, they are in great demand in other professions, for example in the financial sector and in general management, because of their training and abilities in quantitative problem-solving and analytical skills.
"We are proud of our international research reputation and close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology. Our programmes are designed to meet the needs of our students and their future employers, offering the highest degree of flexibility and choice within the wide range of topics available. With a strong foundation of core strengths, we have the expertise to tackle a wide range of challenging and important problems." Prof. Steve McLaughlin, Head of School of EPS
Investing in World Class Facilities and Technologies
Heriot-Watt has opened GRID - a facility for global research, innovation and discovery. The £19m facility is part of Heriot-Watt's wider investment in digital technologies and will facilitate a change in the way the University teaches, facilitates learning and nurtures entrepreneurial talent.
Heriot-Watt has also been chosen as the home of the UK's first National Robotarium, a joint venture between the University and University of Edinburgh.
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering - MSc/PGDip
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Application (Two years)"
- Analytical Science for the Biosciences Industries
- Brewing and Distilling - MSc/PGDip
- Brewing and Distilling (Online) - MSc
- Brewing and Distilling with Entrepreneurship - MSc
- Energy - MSc/PGDip
- Global Sustainability Engineering
- MSc Global Sustainability Engineering with Industrial Application (Two years)
- Renewable Energy Engineering - MSc/PGDip
- Robotics - MSc/PGDip
- Robotics with Industrial Application
MACS is a flagship School of Heriot-Watt University, leading in research and research-led teaching. Its departments cover three areas - mathematics, actuarial mathematics and statistics, and computer science. For our students, MACS offers strong research and postgraduate courses and a wide range of high quality undergraduate courses. It has top research and excellent teaching ratings and is a lively international centre for leading-edge developments and exciting new courses. Our departments are rated well above average in the National Student Survey". Professor Philippe De Wilde, Head of School.
- Actuarial Management - MSc
- Actuarial Management with Data Science - MSc
- Actuarial Science - MSc
- Actuarial Science and Management - MSc
- Applied Data Science - MSc
- Applied Mathematical Sciences - MSc/PGDip
- Applied Mathematical Sciences (2 years) - MSc
- Applied Mathematical Sciences Climate Change Modelling - MSc/PGDip
- Applied Mathematical Sciences with Mathematical Biology, Ecology and Medicine - MSc
- Artificial Intelligence - MSc/PGDip
- Artificial Intelligence (2 years) - MSc
- Artificial Intelligence with Speech and Multimodal Interaction - MSc/PGDip
- Computational Mathematics - MSc/PGDip
- Computer Science for Cyber Security
- Computing (2 years) - MSc
- Data Science - MSc/PGDip
- Data Science (2 years) - MSc
- Digital Design and Innovation - MA
- Financial Mathematics - MSc
- Games Design and Development - MDes
- Human Robot Interaction - MSc
- Human Robot Interaction (2 years) - MSc
- Information Technology (Business) - MSc/PGDip
- Information Technology (Software Systems) - MSc
- Network Security - MSc/PGDip
- Quantitative Finance and Mathematics - MSc/PGDip
- Software Engineering - MSc/PGDip
We are a leading provider of business and languages education and research.
Our priorities are to offer a rounded portfolio of vibrant and relevant teaching programmes, to promote excellence in research and to provide first class advice to practitioners and policy makers.
Understanding cultures and globalization is just as vital to business success as understanding finance, economics or marketing. Our unique portfolio of expertise in these areas enables the School to be at the forefront of meeting the needs of business and industry today.
We have four main areas of teaching and research expertise:
1. Accountancy and Finance
2. Business Management
4. Languages & Intercultural Studies (LINCS)
- Business Psychology - MSc/PGDip
- Business Psychology with Coaching
- Business Psychology with Human Resource Management - MSc
- Business Psychology with Intercultural Communication - MSc
- Business Strategy, Leadership and Change - MSc/PGDip
- Digital Marketing
- Economics, Banking and Finance - MSc/PGDip
- Energy and Economics - MSc
- Finance - MSc/PGDip
- Finance and Management - MSc/PGDip
- Human Resource Management
- Intercultural Business Communication
- International Accounting and Finance - MSc
- International Banking and Finance - MSc/PGDip
- International Business Management with Finance - MSc
- International Business Management with Human Resource Management - MSc
- International Business Management with Industry Placement
- International Business Management with Marketing - MSc
- International Business Management with Project Management - MSc
- International Fashion Marketing - MSc
- International Management and Business Communication - MSc/PGDip
- International Management and Business Communication with Human Resource Management - MSc
- International Marketing - MSc
- International Marketing with Consumer Psychology - MSc
- Interpreting - MSc
- Interpreting and Translating - MSc/PGDip
- Investment Management - MSc
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management - MSc/PGDip
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MBA with specialism in Strategy
- MSc International Business Management
- MSc International Master in Industrial Management
- MSc Maritime Logistics and Business
- Operations Management - MSc/PGDip
- Strategic Project Management - MSc/PGDip
- Translating - MSc/PGDip
The School of Textiles & Design is one of eight academic schools and institutes at Heriot-Watt University. Our Scottish Borders Campus is set in beautiful countryside, at the heart of the world-renowned Scottish textile industry, an hour from Edinburgh.
We have unrivalled specialist facilities which, combined with a £31.4 million re-development of the campus in 2009, offer an inspirational, creative, high-quality educational and research environment.
We are involved in internationally leading research projects in fashion, textiles, design, clothing and colour science, reinforcing our international reputation and contributing to teaching excellence.
Our close links with industry, and excellent reputation for providing professionally orientated programmes ensure our graduates are successful in securing employment in the dynamic fashion, textile and design sectors.
We also offer programmes at our Dubai Campus, where we have fully equipped fashion and interior design studios. Our Dubai fashion students set the trends, winning Grazia Middle East Young Designer awards in 2009 and 2010.
Fashion, textiles and design are fundamental to modern society and culture, offering exciting and diverse opportunities worldwide.