Digital has changed the game for sports business forever. Teams, leagues and federations no longer compete with each other; the new competitors are digitally-based activities such as social media, video streaming and gaming. Some analysts have even observed sport to be the most disrupted of all industries.
Digital is more about aligning strategy and the organization to behaviours and expectations of modern fans than it is about technology.
Ultimately, digital is about growth and therefore 'Managing Digital Transformation in Sports' has been purposely developed for football and sport organisations to explain the digital challenge to sports leaders, managers and professionals in a way that will enable organization and career growth.
It is a modern reality that whilst business models in sports are still adjusting to the new data and fan-ﬁrst reality of the digital era, a new breed of technologies such as virtual and augmented reality have arrived to push the economy further into competition for personalized and immersive experiences.
Through all of this volatility, the principles that are needed to navigate digital disruption in our own roles and organizations are now understood. 'Managing Digital Transformation in Sports' takes lessons from all industries in the digital economy and combines them with football and sports business best practices to deliver a master class for career and business transformation.
You can download the program prospectus here.
The program is aimed at professionals looking to improve their digital literacy so that they can more effectively lead and contribute to business transformation in a sports/football organization.
It is the first program focusing on the transformation and specialization of digital business in the sports industry.
KEY BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDE:
To ensure you are fully prepared for a wide range of professional challenges, the course curriculum covers all business areas across the sport industry.
The well-rounded curriculum is divided into four terms that cover the following areas:
TERM 1 - SPORTS BUSINESS IN DIGITAL
1. Introduction - why sport is most disrupted of all industries
2. The new consumer and fan
3. New sport business responsibilities
4. Digital technologies and their impact on sports business explained
- Internet of Things
- Cloud Computing
- Mobile Computing
- Digital and Social Media
- Data and Analytics
- New technologies: Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality & Artiﬁ cial Intelligence
TERM 2 - ACHIEVING DIGITAL MATURITY
1. What is Digital Maturity
2. Obstacles to achieving Digital Transformation
3. Digital Transformation Success Factors
- Leadership and Strategy
- Culture and Governance
- Business Model Innovation
- Fan-centered Design
- Corporate requirements - Finance, IT and Marketing
- Open Innovation (including special feature on Innovation best practice)
TERM 3 - BECOMING A SOCIAL BUSINESS
1. What is a Social Business
2. Social Leadership
3. Socially Inspired Trends
- Digital Marketing Models
- Digital Marketing Capabilities
- Digital Media and the changing broadcast landscape
- Crowd sourcing, Recruitment, Employee Ambassadors
- Social Media Platform Selection
- Social Media Best Practice
- Sponsorship and monetizing social media
- Mobile Apps
- Esports - industry analysis and opportunities for traditional sports
TERM 4 - DATA STRATEGY AND MARKETING WITH ANALYTICS
1. How Data is transforming business
2. Characteristics of Data high-performers
3. Planning for data mastery
- Developing a Data-driven culture
- Data and Analytics best practices and case studies
- Attracting and retaining Data and Analytics Talent
- Innovating with Data
- Sources of Fan Data and Customer Data Platforms
- How Big Data drives Marketing Success in Sport Organizations
You will benefit from the latest technology-enabled education and an interactive methodology that combines live web conferences led by top football industry professionals with an integral online platform through which the contents of the program are delivered.
The program brings together international industry executives from the top sports clubs, governing bodies and corporations across the world to provide candidates with the most relevant and up-todate information from the football industry through online guest speaker sessions.
This course is led by Stephen Bourke, Sports Business Strategist and Digital Analyst. Stephen is an internationally experienced sports business specialist from Australia presently working in Qatar. He is a global executive board member of Sport and Entertainment Alliance In Technology (SEAT) Conference in the USA. Stephen’s passion for understanding the impact that the digital economy is having on sports business has led to him becoming the ﬁ rst person to develop and deliver content online to inspire other sports professionals own transformation in our new digital-ﬁrst reality.
The Sports Business Institute have provided training to executives from across the football industry at a global level including clubs, federations, and media outlets such as FIFA, Club Wembley, Liverpool FC, Manchester United, Manchester City FC, West Ham United, PSG, Inter Milan, Juventus, Galatasaray, the Mexican Football Federation among numerous other top sports properties.
2. Click on the button "Secure your spot here"
3. Fill out online registration form on this page
4. Secure a spot in the program by paying a 50 Euro application fee. You must fill out the form on this page and click on the "Register" button.
5. Once the application fee has been paid a member of our team will contact you to confirm your registration.
6. You must then complete the balance of your course tuition fee of 2,950 Euros* by bank transfer.
Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study Sports Science at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
Swansea University has a flourishing research environment looking at elite sports performance and exercise health and medicine.
Sport and Exercise Science research at Swansea University takes place in the Applied Sports, Technology, Exercise and Medicine (A-STEM) research centre. Engaging in research, teaching and third mission activity that spans the artificial boundaries between traditional disciplines. Swansea University is unique as the only research-intensive university in the UK where Sport and Exercise Science is located in Engineering.
Research activity in Sport and Exercise Science is in two main areas:
Elite Sports Performance
Exercise Medicine and Health
Our research spans the areas of, science, technology, health and medicine applied to sport, exercise and health settings with children, older people, clinical groups and elite international sports people. Importantly, sport and exercise science research is applied in nature and populates teaching, third mission activities and work-related learning opportunities. It has impact on elite sport, students, industry, patients and the general public.
MSc by Research in Sports Science typically lasts one year full-time, two to three years part-time. This is an individual research project written up in a thesis of 30,000 words.
Our new home at the innovative Bay Campus provides some of the best university facilities in the UK, in an outstanding location.
The A-STEM Research Centre has developed its own laboratories that rank alongside the most prestigious and well known universities in the UK.
Find out more about the facilities used by Sports Science students and Researchers at Swansea University.
Swansea University also has a proud reputation for sporting excellence and outstanding sporting facilities. See a 365 degree panoramic of the Sports Village: including the Wales National Pool, Gym, Indoor Courts, Running Track, Astroturf and Indoor Track.
In addition to teaching and research, academic staff are actively engaged with applied practice and consultancy in sport and exercise settings. Our well-established links include organisations such as:
Swansea NHS Trust
Carmarthenshire NHS Trust
Welsh Rugby Union
International Rugby Board (IRB)
We also work with elite sports teams including:
Swansea City AFC
West Ham United AFC
Wales 7s Rugby
Our staff also regularly consult in exercise settings with populations with chronic disease, including diabetes, cardiac rehabilitation and renal care.
Sport and exercise science research occurs within the world-leading Applied Sports Technology Exercise Medicine (A-STEM) Research Centre.
Significant research in diabetes and health as well as sedentary behaviour, physical activity, fitness, fundamental movement skills in childhood obesity is undertaken by a number of clinical exercise science staff.
Our elite sport performance group is leading a project supported by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government to position Wales at the forefront of Science, Technology and Medicine in elite sport and to promote its wider application in health and education. This project represents a unique collaboration of leading Welsh academics, businesses and sport, with the overall objective of enhancing their respective performances.
Fundamental links integrating engineering and sport and exercise science research are being developed by the Sports Visualisation Group who analyse video material to rapidly produce data for immediate analysis of sports performance. Recently the Engineering Behaviour Analytics in Sport and Exercise (E-BASE) research group was set up to investigate the use of advanced sensor and processing technology to quantify training and activity in sport and clinical populations respectively.
We have international research links and projects with universities in Southern and Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USE, Italy and Austria.
I chose Swansea University to study my MSc Sports Science by Research because Swansea has a great reputation for sports and exercise research and the A-STEM research project is an exciting environment to be part of. Swansea also has great funding opportunities for postgraduate study and it is a really friendly and supportive university.
Zoe Marshall, Sports Science, MSc by Research
The Certificate in Football Business Management is an eight-month online program that has been designed to bridge the gap between an academic approach to sports management education and the real-life environment of the football industry.
The program is backed by the reputation of the Sports Business Institute Barcelona, leaders in executive online training education for the football industry and Visionary Sports Investment, the creators of the world-leading MSc degree in Sporting Directorship run in relationship with the Centre for Sports Business at Salford University Business School.
The program has been designed with the objective of enhancing the development of the football industry, enabling learners from around the globe to enter into a truly international program with guest speakers from the top football organizations worldwide.
Confirmed Speakers for the program include:
*Additional speakers will be announced soon. For latest information visit: http://www.sbibarcelona.com/events/postgraduate-in-football-business-management
1. Introduction to the Business of Football
2. Football Marketing & Sponsorship – Part I
3. Football Marketing & Sponsorship – Part II
4. Stadium Management and Club Operations in Football
5. Financial Management in Football
6. Digital Business Management in Football
7. CRM and Data Analytics in Football
8. Football Fan Engagement and Community Relations
9. Media and Communications in Football
10. Emerging Markets in Football
11. Performance Management in Football
12. Football HR and Career Management
13. Player Representation in the Football Industry
14. Football Law and Legislation
15. Athlete Brand Management in Football
16. Final Project
1. Fill out online registration form
2. Upload your CV and cover letter to our website (in English)
3. Complete payment online of application fee of 750 Euros
4. Personal Virtual Interview with Program Director(s)
A member of our academic team will contact you in writing within 48 hours to inform you if you have been accepted to the program.
5. Enrollment Process (if accepted in program after personal interview)
6. Payment of outstanding course fee: 6,750 Euros
*Application fee is non-refundable, unless a candidate is not accepted to the program.
To download course prospectus click here: https://sbibarcelona.lpages.co/prospectus/
Study for a higher degree by research in one of our well-respected centres. Across our Sport Industry Research Centre, Centre for Sport and Exercise Science and Centre for Sports Engineering Research we focus on cutting edge applied research in sport and physical activity.
On this course you are part of a vibrant community of postgraduates, working closely with experienced academics to develop your knowledge and expertise.
We support a wide range of research opportunities and help you work towards your research degree by offering
You have the opportunity to choose from a range of research topics and are encouraged to circulate your research by publishing papers and attending conferences with other staff and students.
To gain an MPhil you critically investigate and evaluate an approved topic and display an understanding of suitable research methods.You present your work in a thesis, then explain and defend it during an oral viva voce examination.
Our main areas of sport and physical activity expertise are reflected in our research programmes. These include • the economics of sport • physical activity for health • elite sport • exercise physiology • event impact • performance management • sports engineering • biomechanics • programme evaluation • equipment mechanics • sports participation • workplace wellness • psychology • volunteers in sport • sport analytics • strategic planning.
In addition to well respected research profiles, many members of our academic team have extensive experience of applied work as consultants with elite sports, governing bodies and healthcare organisations in the UK and internationally.
A number of the team also have honorary academic appointments with universities in several European countries, and we have extensive collaborations with universities in Europe, North American, Australia, East Asia and the Middle East.
Starts September, January or May.
Research trainingWhen you begin your research, we allocate you a director of studies and one or two supervisors. Regular meetings between you and your supervisors are scheduled, with targets set for written and oral presentation of research progress.
As part of you personal, academic and professional development you undertake a training needs analysis. This identifies a bespoke programme of training you engage with during your studies such as
Thesis followed by viva voce examination.
Research degrees are a vital qualification for most academic careers, and for professional specialisation and development in an existing or planned career.
Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study Management at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
We offer an MSc Management for students from any background who would like to work in business or management.
- Generalist MSc Management - for you to create your own mix of specialist modules
- Marketing - focused on the challenges of global marketing activities
- Finance – for students interested in financial aspects of management
- Human Resource Management – focused on the challenges of leadership and managing a global work force
- Entrepreneurship – for students interested in the dynamics of starting their own business
- Operations and Supply Management – focused on the management of global operations and supply networks
- International Management – considers contemporary management practice in a global setting
- International Standards – focused on the role of internationals standards (such as ISO) in quality improvement
- Business Analytics – to equip students to work in the era of ‘big data’
- E-Business - investigates the challenges and opportunities of global information systems networks and e-commerce
- All modules on the Management programme are taught by our world-class faculty who have a breadth of industrial and academic knowledge
- Swansea is joint 1st in Wales for international ranked research (REF 2014)
- 93% of Swansea students in employment six months after graduating
- High contact time – our modules come with a lecture (in class sizes capped at approximately 150 students) and seminar/tutorial (in class sizes capped at 30) every single week
- Fully refurbished facilities – we have invested half a million pounds in a recent refurbishment to our student facilities
- Scholarships available for outstanding students
- Swansea is 1st in Wales for world-leading impact - 60% at 4-star level (REF 2014)
The Management programme has been specifically designed with a clear focus on management in an interconnected global community. This programme in Management covers core management concepts such as international marketing, operations management, global strategy, finance and international human resource management. To help you get the best from your studies, the management programme also includes an academic skills module that covers issues such as research methods, presentation skills, group dynamics and employability support.
Modules on the Management programme may include:
Managing Financial Resources
Human Resource Management
Principles of Corporate Finance
International Management Consulting
Business Planning and Theory of Entrepreneurship
Global Supply Chain Management
Global Business Environment: International Political Relations
International Human Resource Management
Information Systems Management
Leadership in Sports
Integrated Marketing Communications
Theory of Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
We have an excellent track record of placing our graduates including those from the Management programme with major multinational companies and our graduate employment rate is 92%.
From the moment you arrive at the School of Management as a student on the Management programme we will work with you to help you build your skills and experience to enhance your career prospects. During your time with us you’ll have the chance to:
- Undertake a work placement or internship through the Swansea Paid Internship Network (SPIN) or ‘Week of Work’ initiative
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our visiting speaker programme
- In conjunction with the International Development Office, undertake an Internship in India, with a company such as GE, Thomson Reuters, 3M, Private Equity or Kanvic Consulting
- Boost your skills and meet employers during our biannual Employability Week
- Complete the Swansea Employability Award
- Participate in one of our student challenges and competitions, such as the Branding Challenge, and CIM student competition ‘The Pitch’
The School of Management at Swansea University is building on long-established foundations as one of the UK's top providers of Management, Accounting & Finance and Economic education.
The School of Management's vision is to make a difference to society and the economy locally and globally through excellence in research-led teaching that has resulted in the School being ranked 17th in the UK for research impact* and 26th in the UK for research excellence, all working towards continuing our trend of becoming one of the top business schools in Wales and the UK.
The School of Management comprises over 150 staff and more than 2000 students studying at the new £450million Bay Campus, with the School of Management building itself providing truly world-class facilities with an impressive communal Atrium, new teaching rooms, meeting room and IT equipment.
School of Management, alongside the Great Hall, also proudly offers high quality conferencing and event capacity all within half a mile of the M4 corridor, that has already attracted several high profile and key events during the short time that the Bay Campus has been open.
Through its enterprise and innovation activities of business engagement the School plans to focus on three global challenges: Health & Wellbeing, Digital Society and Sustainable Economies. The School of Management's aim is to deliver world-class education through collaboration, innovation and fresh thinking, and we pride ourselves on the outstanding student experience on offer here at the School of Management ensuring a rich learning environment, while also developing our staff in line with Swansea University's wider ambition to anchor and underpin everything we do with a core set of values.
School of Management aspires to be known globally as a centre for educational excellence, working in partnership with other Swansea University departments and organisations to create joint programmes that reflect the skillsets required by an evolving workplace.
*THE Research Excellence Framework 2014: Institutions ranked by subject
Big data has turned out to have giant potential, but poses major challenges at the same time. On the one hand, big data is driving the next stage of technological innovation and scientific discovery. Accordingly, big data has been called the “gold” of the digital revolution and the information age. On the other hand, the global volume of data is growing at a pace which seems to be hard to control. In this light, it has been noted that we are “drowning in a sea of data”.
Faced with these prospects and risks, the world requires a new generation of data specialists. Data engineering is an emerging profession concerned with big data approaches to data acquisition, data management and data analysis. Providing you with up-to-date knowledge and cutting-edge computational tools, data engineering has everything that it takes to master the era of big data.
The Data Engineering program is located at Jacobs University, a private and international English-language academic institution in Bremen, Germany. The two-year program offers a fascinating and profound insight into the foundations, methods and technologies of big data. Students take a tailor-made curriculum comprising lectures, tutorials, laboratory trainings and hands-on projects. Embedded into a vibrant academic context, the program is taught by renowned experts. In a unique setting, students also team up with industry professionals in selected courses. Core components of the program and areas of specialization include:
- The Big Data Challenge
- Data Analytics
- Big Data Bases and Cloud Services
- Principles of Statistical Modeling
- Data Acquisition Technologies
- Big Data Management
- Machine Learning
- Semantic Web and Internet of Things
- Data Visualization and Image Processing
- Document Analysis
- Internet Security and Privacy
- Legal Aspects of Data Engineering and Data Ethics
For more details on the Data Engineering curriculum, please visit the program website at http://www.jacobs-university.de/data-engineering.
Demand for data engineers is massive – in industry, commerce and the public sector. From IT to finance, from automotive to oil and gas, from health to retail: companies and institutions in almost every domain need experts for data acquisition, data management and data analysis. With an MSc degree in Data Engineering, you will excel in this most exciting and rewarding field with very attractive salaries. Likewise, an MSc degree in Data Engineering allows you to move on to a PhD and to a career in science an research.
The Data Engineering program starts in the first week of September every year. Please visit http://www.jacobs-university.de/graduate-admission or use the contact form to request details on how to apply. We are looking forward to receiving your inquiry.
All applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships of up to € 12,000 per year. Depending on availability, additional scholarships sponsored by external partners are offered to highly gifted students. Moreover, each admitted candidate may request an individual financial package offer with attractive funding options. Please visit http://www.jacobs-university.de/study/graduate/fees-finances to learn more.
Jacobs University’s green and tree-shaded campus provides much more than buildings for teaching and research. It is home to an intercultural community which is unprecedented in Europe. A Student Activities Center, various sports facilities, a music studio, a student-run café/bar, concert venues and our Interfaith House ensure that you will always have something interesting to do. In addition, Jacobs University offers accommodation for graduate students on or off campus.