• New College of the Humanities Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Glasgow Featured Masters Courses
  • St Mary’s University, Twickenham Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Derby Online Learning Featured Masters Courses
  • Cardiff University Featured Masters Courses
  • Goldsmiths, University of London Featured Masters Courses
  • Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Featured Masters Courses
  • Coventry University Featured Masters Courses
King’s College London Featured Masters Courses
Queen Mary University of London Featured Masters Courses
Ulster University Featured Masters Courses
Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia Featured Masters Courses
Northumbria University Featured Masters Courses

2017 UK Masters Funding Guide

After deciding to take up the challenges and opportunities of a postgraduate degree, the next step for most students is working out how to pay for it!

The good news about Masters degrees in the UK is that tuition fees are typically a lot lower than those for most undergraduate programmes.

Whilst a Bachelors degree can cost £9,000 a year (or more) in the UK, the average cost of a full-time Masters is between £6,000 and £8,000 a year (and remember, most Masters programmes are only one or two years long).

However, funding for Masters study in the UK is a lot more complex than for undergraduate courses.

Discovering and comparing all the different funding options available to you can be a postgraduate research project in and of itself. So we’ve put together some resources to help you get started.

On this page you can read about some of the most important sources of financial support for Masters study in the UK.

These include bursaries from the UK Research Councils, funding for study abroad offered by the Erasmus+ Programme and – perhaps most excitingly – the new postgraduate loans that have recently been introduced in the UK.

If that’s not enough we’ve also put together a specific guide to Masters funding in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and covered all sorts of other sources of support, including postgraduate funding from charities (yes, you can receive postgraduate funding from charities!).

So, when we say comprehensive, we mean it (unfortunately, we can’t research your dissertation for you too - sorry).

  • Masters degree loans

    Lets start with the big one. The UK government now offers postgraduate Masters loans for English-resident students at universities across the UK. From 2017 each loan will offer £10,280, to be repaid once graduates are earning over £21,000 a year.

    You can read more in our guide to the new postgraduate loans, which also includes a handy overview of repayment costs and information on how to apply.

    Though this scheme is targeted at English resident students, other parts of the UK have also announced their own plans for postgraduate funding. Check out our guides to the Masters loans being introduced in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales

  • Funding in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

    The postgraduate loans introduced in 2016 are available to English students. You can receive a loan to study anywhere in the UK, but will have to be ordinarily resident in England (or an EU student from outside the UK). This is all due to the way higher education organisation and funding works in the UK. We could try and explain it, but we’d probably need a Masters in Economics to do so. And another one in Politics.

    Of course, there are some great universities in other UK countries and plenty of excellent Masters courses on offer at Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish institutions. That’s why we’ve put together a specific guide to postgraduate funding in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

    And remember, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all launching their own postgraduate loans in 2017.

  • UK Research Councils

    The seven UK Research Councils represent one of the most important sources of postgraduate funding in the UK. It’s their job to provide support for research projects and for the training of potential new researchers – like you!

    Though most of their resources are now directed towards PhD programmes, you can sometimes receive Research Council funding for Masters degrees – particularly 1+3 or New Route PhD programmes. These begin with a taught Masters degree in the first year, followed by a 3-year PhD programme. Funding usually covers course fees and a tax-free maintenance grant.

    Masters degrees which have the opportunity for research council funding will be advertised as such. You can find a number of these programmes listed at FindAPhD.com. They’ll usually be referred to as ‘4-Year’,’ 1+3’ or ‘New Route PhD Programmes’ and some will include the name of the Research Council in the project title.

    Check out our guide to Research Council funding for Masters degrees for more information.

  • Funding for international students

    It's true that international students in the UK often pay slightly higher fees. But it's also true that funding for overseas students is available - from a variety of sources.

    Our guide explains them, with up-to-date information for 2017.

  • Charities and alternative funding sources

    You may be surprised to learn that a lot of funding for postgraduate study is actually available from charitable trusts and learned societies.

    All sorts of organisations are interested in helping promote new research and training in particular fields and, as a talented postgraduate, you could be just the sort of person they’re looking for. Grants from charities and similar organisations tend to be relatively small – between £100 and £1,000 on average – but there’s no reason why you can’t combine lots of them to cover your costs. In fact, this approach to financing postgraduate study has become so popular it’s even got its own name: ‘portfolio funding’.

    You can learn all about Masters funding from charities and learned societies in our guide to funding Masters study without a scholarship.

    One of the best ways of finding Masters funding from charities and other groups (as well as all sorts of other kinds of support) is to use our dedicated postgraduate funding website. It’s called postgraduatefunding.com and it does what it says on the tin. At least, it would if websites came in tins.

  • The FindAMasters Scholarships

    Don't forget to check out our very own FindAMasters scholarships. Each year we give away £12,000 of funding to Masters students in the UK. That’s right – we won’t just help you find out what funding’s available to you: we’ll actually give you some ourselves!

    This year there’s one £5,000 scholarship available as well as four £500 scholarships to help students meet some of the costs of postgraduate study. Why not sign up to learn more?

  • Erasmus funding

    The European Commission's Erasmus+ Programme isn't specific to the UK, but it does support students to study abroad at universities across Europe (and beyond).

    You can study at multiple universities with a Joint Masters Programme scholarship or spend shorter periods of study or training abroad with a Masters Mobility Grant. And now, Erasmus+ also offers its own Masters Degree Loans to postgraduate students studying abroad in Europe - great news if you're an international student looking to study at a participating institution in the UK.

    You can read more about the Erasmus+ programme and the Erasmus Mundus programme it incorporates and partially succeeds, in our guides.

  • PostgraduateFunding.com

    We’ve mentioned it before, but don’t forget to have a look on our dedicated postgraduate funding website. Most of the funding types mentioned in this article are listed there and you can filter results according to the subject area you’re interested in, the university you want to study at and even the mode of study you’re considering. We haven’t been able to get the search engine to actually print money for you yet, but we’re working on it (we aren’t really – that would be illegal).

Other UK Masters funding

The guides in this section cover some of the most important types of postgraduate funding for students in the UK. There are other sources of financial support for Masters degrees though. Here are a few that are worth bearing in mind.

University scholarships

It’s important not to overlook the assistance that might be offered by the institution you’re going to study your Masters at. Universities are keen to encourage and support good applicants to their postgraduate programmes and some will have significant financial resources available to help them do this.

Investigating university scholarships for postgraduate funding usually means getting in touch with institutions and asking what kinds of support they offer.

You can speed this process up by using the course search here at FindaMasters.com – lots of programmes have information on scholarships included in their listings and all of them have contact details available if you need to get in touch with universities for more information (they’ll be very happy to hear from you).

Sponsorship from your employer

This won’t be applicable to all students, but it can be worth asking an employer about the possibility of support to gain new qualifications.

Of course, this strategy is more likely to be successful if your Masters is going to help develop skills that are relevant to your job. Asking for money to study Victorian poetry when you’re actually working in an IT consultancy firm might not be a great idea unless your boss is remarkably generous (or a big fan of Alfred Tennyson).

Career development loans

Career development loans pre-date the new postgraduate student loans. They can still be a good source of support if you aren’t able to apply for other forms of funding.

Repayment requirements can be stricter than those for student loans, but the eligibility criteria may be more relaxed.

You’ll need to meet certain credit criteria to qualify for a Career Development Loan for postgraduate study, but you can borrow anything between £300 and £10,000. There’s more information available in our guide to Career Development Loans for Masters students.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Completing a Masters whilst managing a disability, illness or learning difficulty can be challenging, but it's not impossible.

It's also possible that additional funding may be available to help support your during your studies. Find out more with our guide to Disabled Students' Allowance for Masters students.

Last updated - 22/02/2017

This article is the property of FindAMasters.com and may not be reproduced without permission.

Click here to search our database of Masters courses

Cookie Policy    X