This MRes prepares you for more advanced research projects at MPhil/PhD level, but is also a degree in its own right. It's ideal if you're considering a 'taster' year of research, or if you're keen to complete shorter term research at graduate level- http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/mres-english/
The aim of the MRes is to expand your knowledge and understanding of your chosen topic. You'll carry out independent research under the guidance of a supervisor, and in the context of a structured programme of study.
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Maria Macdonald.
You'll attend the Department's Postgraduate Research Methods series, and either a Research Skills Workshop or a Research Skills series. You'll also be encouraged to attended Methods and Resources day schools that are offered by the Institute of English Studies at Senate House.
You'll also attend, but not be assessed on, at least one appropriate Masters level module offered in the Department of English and Comparative Literature in the first term of study. Your supervisor may advise you to attend selected elements of the module only, and to focus on a particular problem within the syllabus. Attending the module will enable you to take part in discussions, and to refine and nuance your understanding of different perspectives on a topic.
The main focus of the MRes, however, will be on the development of your own research project. Throughout this process you will:
-Study in depth and reflect critically upon an aspect of research methods relevant to your dissertation topic, under the guidance of your supervisor
-Where appropriate, you can choose to write on methodological topics arising from the syllabus of one of the taught Masters level modules
-Carry out systematic research into the primary, critical and theoretical literature relevant to the dissertation topic, under the guidance of your supervisor
-Develop an independent dissertation project, under the guidance of a supervisor
You'll complete the following modules:
Assessed by one 5,000-6,000-word essay (or two 2,500-3,000-word essays).
Assessed by one 5,000-word essay.
Assessed by a 20,000-word dissertation.
A thesis of approximately 20,000 words will account for 80% of your final grade. The remaining 20% of your grade will be assessed through coursework.
English at Goldsmiths is ranked:
18th in the UK for the quality of our research**
In the world’s top 150 universities for English language and literature***
**Research Excellence Framework 2014, Times Higher Education research intensity subject rankings
***QS World University Rankings by subject 2015
English and Comparative Literature:
Cervantes. Bukowski. Dostoevsky. Self. From classical literature and linguistics, to creative writing and contemporary fiction, we take a critical and creative approach to the discipline.
As a department we’re interested in a field of enquiry that extends from Old English to 21st-century literatures in English, French, Spanish and Italian. So you can study texts and films across a variety of periods and genres.
We have a dedicated Writers’ Centre that encourages new writing and stimulates debate about all forms of literature. And we award the annual Goldsmiths Prize (for “fiction at its most novel”), which brings critically acclaimed writers like Ali Smith and Eimear McBride to campus.
We may be one of the largest departments at Goldsmiths but that doesn’t mean you won’t get personal support. Learn from our approachable team of academic staff and become part of the student-run English Society.
As one of the first departments in the UK to offer creative writing, you’ll be part of a hub of literary excellence – our graduates have gone on to win prestigious awards from the Orange Prize for Fiction to the Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year.
This programme will enable you to develop transferable skills, including:
enhanced communication and discussion skills in written and oral contexts
the ability to analyse and evaluate different textual materials
the ability to organise information
the ability to assimilate and evaluate competing arguments
Our graduates have gone on to pursue careers in publishing, journalism, public relations, teaching, advertising, the civil service, business, industry, the media.
Please visit http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/fees-funding/
You should normally have a BA in a relevant subject with at least a clear upper second class result. If it’s in an unrelated field, you may be considered subject to qualifying interview/submission of sample essays. IELTS 7.0 (including 7.0 in the written test).