Develop your own individual management approach on our Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) accredited course. Work alongside professionals and industry experts to practically gain the key management skills and knowledge you need for a variety of management roles in the construction or property sectors.
If you have a degree in the built environment or already work in the construction industry our course will help you take your construction project management career further still.
You’ll get the skills and knowledge you need for a variety of roles in construction and the wider property world. You’ll develop your style as a manager and explore technological, economic, environmental, ethical, legal, political and sociological factors and their effect on project management.
By the time you graduate you’ll confidently understand management and organisations and have the right techniques to solve complex problems and make important management decisions.
Our course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Full-time - January start, 15 months. September start, 12 months.
Part-time - January start, 30 months. September start, 27 months.
See the website http://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/construction-project-management
The course will:
• provide you with a broad, analytical and integrated understanding of management and organisations
• enable you to think critically and independently about project management issues and to deal effectively with uncertainty
• enable you to solve complex problems and to make decisions using appropriate techniques;
• convey the technological, economic, environmental, ethical, legal, political and sociological factors involved in the built environment, their interrelationships and effect on projects and the management of projects
• emphasise the significance of the built environment to the economy and society as a whole
• develop your understanding of ethics and the requirements of professional practice in order to develop a clear sense of professional responsibility
• encourage the development of expertise in your profession.
It is built upon a strong management theme, supplemented with specialist knowledge, to enable the effective management of construction projects. It emphasises an applicational approach to project management. It will also develop the employee's general management ability and insight, enhancing their performance in a wide range of other management functions.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
• use the language, knowledge, theories, principles and practical skills demanded by the discipline of project management
• solve organisational, technical, economic and legal problems in the context of project management
• use appropriate information technology to solve problems
• demonstrate knowledge of a specialised area relating to project management and the built environment
• utilise legal, economic and managerial knowledge to advise clients and resolve complex problems;
• work as part of a team and contribute to defined goals and group dynamics
• demonstrate independent and self-managed personal skills
• communicate efficiently in spoken, written and graphical forms and be able to present complex issues to clients
• demonstrate a professional awareness relating to client needs, value for money, health and safety and environmental issues.
Our course will prepare you for a wide range of management and project roles in the construction and property industries. You’re also in the perfect position to continue your academic career and move up to our Built Environment PhD.
Project Management Systems
Procurement and Supply Chain Management
Risk and Value Management
Economic, Legal and Political Framework
Research Design and Methods
You’ll be assessed through a variety of methods that address both theory and practice and include assignments, case studies, exams, group work and presentations.
You’ll have access to our specialist management software for project planning and business organisation and finance. Within our well-equipped laboratories you’ll explore geotechnics, hydraulics, structures, engineering materials, and concrete testing. With access to our libraries, open access computer areas and Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
The Faculty of Science & Technology is one of the largest of five faculties at Anglia Ruskin University
. Whether you choose to study with us full- or part-time, on campus or at a distance, there’s an option whatever your level – from a foundation degree, to a BSc, MSc, PhD or professional doctorate.
Whichever course you pick, you’ll gain the theory and practical skills needed to progress with confidence. Join us and you could find yourself learning in the very latest laboratories or on field trips or work placements with well-known and respected companies. You may even have the opportunity to study abroad.
Everything we do in the faculty has a singular purpose: to provide a world-class environment to create, share and advance knowledge in science and technology fields. This is key to all of our futures.
One of the following: An appropriate honours degree in a built environment subject (2.2 or above); or membership at an appropriate level of a recognised construction institution, such as RIBA, RICS, CIOB, ICE. A non-cognate honours degree (2.2 or above) together with relevant post graduate working experience may be considered on an individual basis. Applicants may be invited for interview.