Who should attend
This new Master's programme prepares students for a career in academia or in the pharmaceutical industry]]. It addresses talented and highly motivated students with a Bachelor's degree in pharmaceutical sciences, the health sciences, biology or biomedicine.
About the university and the teaching faculty
ETH Zurich is one of the leading universities of technology and natural sciences worldwide.
Professors and senior scientists of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences teach the scientific courses and supervise research projects and the Master's theses. Moreover, they act as mentors of the students enrolled in the Master's programme. The research groups of the institute cover a broad range of research fields.
Industry-specific subjects are covered by experts from the pharmaceutical industry. The pharmaceutical industry ranks among the most innovative and profitable sectors of the Swiss economy.
About the programme
The programme provides an in-depth training in fundamental pharmaceutical sciences and the industrial drug development process. A supervised research project, the 6-month Master's thesis and optional internships in industry provide opportunities to work in research at ETH Zurich and to gain first working experience in industry. For details see https://www.chab.ethz.ch/en/studies/master/pharmsciences/about-programme.html
Location: ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Start date: September 2017
Degree: MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences ETH
What are the career options for graduates
The outstanding feature of this programme is that it combines a thorough scientific education with industry-specific knowledge. Students acquire in depth knowledge in various fields of Pharmaceutical Sciences, general scientific skills and gain an overview of the drug development process (study programme).
The programme prepares graduates for a career in the following fields:
- academic research (PhD studies)
- industry, e.g. research, development, regulatory affairs, pharmacoeconomics and marketing
- health authorities, e.g. medicinal product authorisation, licensing, market surveillance
Who should apply?
- students with a background in pharmaceutical sciences, who aim at a career in the pharmaceutical industry, in academia (research) or in the regulatory field
- students with a background in the health sciences, biology or biomedicine, who wish to obtain a research-oriented MSc education and at the same time gain insight into pharmaceutical research and the drug development process
What does the programme offer?
- an in-depth understanding of the drug development process and insight into working areas in the pharmaceutical industry
- a strong focus on practical work in an academic or industrial environment
- an ideal preparation for PhD studies in pharmaceutical or (bio)medical research
- an individually tailored curriculum supported by a mentoring system (high proportion of elective courses; 22/90 ECTS)
- practical training in world-leading ETH research groups in the fields of pharmaceutical sciences
- training by experts from research AND industry
- training in interdisciplinary skills which prepare students for future professional activities in industry as well as for a doctorate (e.g. scientific writing, biostatistics, ethics, project management)
Fees and fundinghttps://www.ethz.ch/en/studies/financial.html
International students, location and living herehttps://www.chab.ethz.ch/en/studies/master/pharmsciences/location-and-living-in-zurich.html