The Master of International Forestry (MIF) is a full-time, 10 month course-based master’s degree that provides a foundation in forest and natural resource management, conservation and policy. The MIF is designed for early/mid-career professionals who wish to expedite their careers and advance to leadership positions.
Advance your career
- Complete a professional master’s degree in 10 months
- Benefit from a curriculum targeted at major international employers
- Apply your knowledge and skills to international forest issues
- Obtain a world-recognized degree from The University of British Columbia
- Grow your professional network and your career
- Connect with our Faculty’s other outstanding graduate students from 40 countries
- Explore Vancouver – consistently ranked as one of the world’s best cities
Why choose the MIF program?
You’ll gain valuable skills relevant to a career in rural development, forest conservation planning, sustainable resource management, and conservation policy development, diplomacy and negotiation. The MIF is for individuals who want to engage productively – and to become leaders – in an international forestry context with international agencies and secretariats (e.g., UN FAO, UNEP), finance institutions (e.g., The World Bank, Asian Development Bank), transnational forest products enterprises, government ministries,consulting firms, environmental NGOs, and advocacy groups. The MIF program provides training on those skills identified in over 200 forestry and environmental job postings, and our curriculum is targeted at major international employers.
What will I learn?
The UBC Faculty of Forestry aims to educate global citizens who promote the values of a civil and sustainable society and with ambitions to become ‘agents of change and innovation’. Students will be prepared for work in forestry in both tropical and non-tropical regions, in conservation and production forestry, and with subsistence and industrial forestry. MIF students will focus on the identification of major opportunities common in forestry and the management of other natural resources in many countries, and their political, economic, social and environmental settings. Students will also gain intercultural understanding through working with international colleagues and professors.
Program components include:
- Natural resources economics
- International forest governance and policy
- Forest business enterprise
- Forests and society
- Natural resources planning
- International forestry institutions, diplomacy and negotiations
- Social, community and indigenous forestry
Grow your career with UBC Faculty of Forestry
Upon completion, MIF graduates will have a solid foundation in forestry and rural land use, in combination with knowledge of international institutional arrangements and policies concerning environmental protection, human rights, natural resources management, and leadership. Graduates will be able to:
- examine the interdependent relationships among societies and forested environments;
- assess current trends in the production, valuation and marketing of forest-based goods and services, including ecological services;
- understand the need for and principles of sound forest governance;
- negotiate and evaluate multilateral environmental agreements;
- demonstrate the elements of forest management and conservation decision-making, including economic analysis and financing and how to apply these in the formulation of policies and plans; and
- design and plan work programs and provide effective leadership.
- Degree: Master of International Forestry
- Specialization: Forestry
- Subject: Agriculture and Forestry
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Program components: Coursework only
- Registration options: Full-time
- Faculty: Faculty of Forestry
Applicants must have an academic background in science, social science, or a related discipline with adequate grounding in natural resource conservation and management. As part of the application package, applicants will be required to submit a questionnaire that will assist us in evaluating foundation knowledge. The MIF is designed for early/mid-career professionals.