The MSc in Environmental Management meets the needs of a future environmental professional. It provides the key vocational skills and training to allow you to respond and find solutions for problems, to exploit opportunities and meet challenges in environmental management. We provide core environmental management modules, as well as opportunities for more specialist training in particular disciplines. Topics include recent advances on environmental issues, research skills and approaches, environmental auditing, project management, environmental law and environmental impact assessment (EIA). Much of the delivery of the course is based on ‘learning by doing’ through engaging with real life problems and challenges.
Modules are delivered by academics and professional practitioners at the forefront of activity in the field. Students from the UK and abroad who have completed the course have then gone on to careers as consultants, regulators, conservation managers and researchers.
• This MSc programme was established at IBERS in 2005 and is regarded as one of the best vocational MSc courses in the country. It holds a significant international profile and attracts students from all over the world.
• The programme is concentrated into one year and involves a core of key management skills with the opportunity to specialise.
• The MSc combines vocational and professional training in environmental management but also introduces new technological advances and developments.
• We provide a programme at the cutting edge of the subject. You will interact with professionals in the field and develop a network of contacts that will help you to establish your future career.
• We have a long and distinguished history of environmental teaching and world class research at IBERS. This course and structure was also designed with employers from industry, environmental agencies and governmental and non-governmental organisations.
• Students benefit from interaction with these external bodies and develop skills that environmental employers target when recruiting. We benefit for fieldwork opportunities from our wonderful location.
• Aberystwyth is a coastal town which lies between the Cambrian and Snowdonia mountain ranges in Wales, offering habitats ranging from coastal to upland.
• The course is taught by internationally recognised researchers, consultants and professionals operating across a wide range of environmental topics such as climate change, EIA, environmental auditing, environmental pollution, habitat conservation and restoration, terrestrial and aquatic ecology, and molecular ecology.
This is a skills-based course taught over one calendar year comprising both core and pathway-specific modules. By joining our Masters scheme you will become a member of a dynamic team, working together towards a sustainable future.
Examples of dissertation topics undertaken by past students:
* Restoring mine spoils using Bioenergy crops
* Improving the processing and quality of municipal compost
* Assessing carbon losses and gains by Arctic ecosystems
* Using earthworms to restore habitats
"This was a very professional course"
"It is a very adaptable course and for me has secured interviews for good positions"
"“I think doing the MSc was a fantastic way to gain a good grounding in a range of environmental matters."
"I was given the chance to work with great people and on great projects"
"Aberystwyth itself is a great town. It’s full of friendly people, things to do and an absolutely amazing coastline."
Good Undergraduate degree 2.2 (UK) (or above) equating to a mark of 56.5 or above in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Physical Geography or closely related discipline. European and International applicants can find their grade equivalence on our comparability page. Those who are not graduates must satisfy the University that they are of the required academic standard to pursue postgraduate study.