This course is accredited by the British Computer Society for partial fulfilment of the academic requirement for Chartered IT Professional.
The course aims to develop:
* knowledge and skills regarding the manner in which ICT can be employed to enhance the organisation and delivery of efficient and effective healthcare;
* an ability to apply systems thinking in relation to complex problems in which ICT has the potential to enhance healthcare organisation and delivery;
* skills in tackling a major project relating to issues associated with ICT in the healthcare setting.
The MSc in Health Informatics is the longest-established postgraduate course in this field in Europe. In addition you will be joining a postgraduate Health Informatics course which is the first to be accredited at Masters Level by both the British Computer Science Society and the NHS Information Authority. The course equips you with the cutting-edge knowledge and skills necessary for the organisation and delivery of an informatics-led health service.
Typical applicants are clinicians and allied health professionals who wish to enhance their careers with an IT qualification, and computer scientists, engineers and others with relevant technical or professional qualifications who wish to move into a successful career involving the application of ICT in the health service and associated industries.
You will be part of a highly multi-professional and strongly international cohort. High-quality teaching on the MSc Health Informatics is informed by leading-edge academic research. We offer a healthy balance of theory and practice, with a strong focus on real-world applications, supported by guest lectures from medicine and industry. You will also benefit from the University's central location, close to many hospitals and medical centres.
Visit the website http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/health-informatics
Why study Health Informatics at City, University of London?
* The longest-established course of its kind in Europe, the MSc in Health Informatics has a successful track record of producing more than 250 very employable graduates over the past 15 years. Over recent years, 90 per cent or more of MSc Health Informatics graduates were typically employed within six months of graduation
* You will be joining a postgraduate Health Informatics course which is the first to be accredited at Masters level by the NHS Information Authority
* You will be part of a highly multi-professional and strongly international cohort of students which will substantially enhance your learning experience
* Central location, close to many hospitals and medical centres
* Lectures given by leading expert in their fields
* All modules in this course are supported by the University's online learning environment (Moodle). You will be able to access lecture materials and engage in discussions with student colleagues, teaching staff and the course team.
This course is accredited by The Chartered Institute for IT (BCS) for partial fulfilment of the academic requirement for Chartered IT Professional status.
Typical applicants are clinical and allied health professionals who wish to enhance their careers and computer scientists, engineers and others with relevant technical or professional qualifications who wish to move into a successful career involving the application of ICT in the health service and associated industries. You will be part of a multiprofessional and international cohort and will benefit from a course of lectures given by leading experts and the University's location close to many hospitals and medical centres.
There are six core modules on this course and students also undertake an independent research project.
Teaching and Assessment
The course is assessed by a mixture of coursework and examination, plus a project dissertation. Students successfully completing eight modules and the dissertation will be awarded a Master of Science (MSc) degree. All modules on this course are supported by the University's innovative online environment.
The course is available full time (12 months) and part time (up to 28 months; daytime study).
Students successfully completing eight modules and the dissertation will be awarded 180 credits and a masters level qualification. Alternatively, students who do not complete the dissertation but have successfully completed eight modules will be awarded 120 credits and a postgraduate diploma. Successful completion of four modules (60 credits) will lead to the award of a postgraduate certificate.
Each module is assessed through a combination of coursework and examination.
For up-to-date information about tuition fees, living costs and financial support, visit Postgraduate Fees and Finance (http://www.city.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/funding-and-financial-support
Internships offer an exceptional opportunity to make you stand out in a competitive job market place. We have extensive experience in helping students to secure placement employment in the IT industry.
Graduates are prepared for employment in health services (both state and private sectors) in the UK and overseas and in related healthcare industries and organisations.
Students can participate in our professional placement programme, which is supported by the
Professional Liaison Unit. This allows students to undertake their final project within an industrial or research placement over an extended period of time.
You will have the knowledge and skills to enable you to play a significant part in an informatics-led health service designed to deliver effective care.
On graduation you will become a member of a world-wide alumni association, enabling you to be in touch with health informatics professionals at the leading edge of ICT implementation and application in healthcare.
Applicants should hold an upper second class honours degree, the equivalent from an international institution or an equivalent professional qualification. Prior degrees should be in a medical or numerate subject, but other degree subjects or professional qualifications can be accepted if a candidate has subsequently had relevant health service or industrial experience.