The MSc Management and Corporate Governance course will provide you with the knowledge, professional and key skills that will equip you for senior appointments in industry, the social economy, voluntary, charitable and public sectors.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) for the purpose of exemptions from some professional examinations.
Visit the website: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/201617/management-and-corporate-governance-8901
The course equips students to enter employment in roles such as corporate secretary, corporate administrator and head of compliance. These are the professionals who ensure that organisations operate within financial and legal good practice guidelines. Further information on jobs and careers related to this course can be found at http://www.icsa.org.uk
The course equips students for a career in professional services through:
• Development of transferable intellectual skills necessary for senior management roles;
• Application of corporate governance to the organisation;
• Study of management and organisational behaviour;
• Management of the finances of the organisation;
• Management of the legal environment of the organisation.
Course content is structured to ensure that students gain essential, current knowledge and skills in a range of subject areas as well as meeting the professional requirements of ICSA. The course is flexible whereby students can choose to leave with GradICSA and a Postgraduate Diploma (essentially two thirds of the Master's course). Those with the relevant work experience can apply for chartered secretary status and use the post nominal ACIS.
- Teaching and learning assessment -
Students are assessed via a combination of formal written examinations, individual assignments, group assignments and innovative practical exercises such as contributing to running a company Annual General Meeting (AGM).
There is a great demand for graduates from this course who have both a valuable academic qualification and a professional qualification from ICSA.
A number of organisations recruit directly from this course each year and the course can boast an employment rate of over 90% over the past few years with successful students being appointed to graduate level positions in organisations such as the following:
Maples Finance, BDO Ireland, Mason Hayes and Curran, FBD Holdings, Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Lex Tray, Eversheds (Manchester), Mazars, Citi, A & L Goodbody, Bank of Ireland, Action Aid, KPMG, William Fry, PWC, Blackrock, Maples Finance and Deloitte.
Chartered secretaries are high-ranking professionals with a diverse set of skills unique amongst many professions. Trained in corporate law, finance, governance and corporate secretarial practice, Chartered secretaries are the focal point for independent advice about the conduct of business, governance and compliance. They can also offer legal and accounting advice and manage the development of strategy and corporate planning.
How to apply: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/apply/how-to-apply#pg
Why study at Ulster?
1. Over 92% of our graduates are in work or further study six months after graduation.
2. We are a top UK university for providing courses with a period of work placement.
3. Our teaching and the learning experience we deliver are rated at the highest level by the Quality Assurance Agency.
4. We are an international university with more than 2,000 international students from over 80 countries and Alumni from 121 countries.
5. More than 4,000 students from over 50 countries have successfully completed eLearning courses at Ulster University
To help spread the cost of your studies, tuition fees can be paid back in monthly instalments while you learn. If you study for a one-year, full-time master’s, you can pay your fees up-front, in one lump sum, or in either five or ten equal monthly payments. If you study for a master’s on a part-time basis (e.g. over three years), you can pay each year’s fees up-front or in five or ten equal monthly payments each year. This flexibility allows you to spread the payment of your fees over each academic year. Find out more by visiting http://www.ulster.ac.uk/learnyourway
A comprehensive range of financial scholarships, awards and prizes are available to undergraduate, postgraduate and research students. Scholarships recognise the many ways in which our students are outstanding in their subject. Individuals may be able to apply directly or may automatically be nominated for awards. Visit the website: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-finance/scholarships
English Language Tuition
CELT offers courses and consultations in English language and study skills to Ulster University
students of all subjects, levels and nationalities. Students and researchers for whom English is an additional language can access free CELT support throughout the academic year: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/international/english-language-support