Why this course?
If you choose to study your MBA full-time in Glasgow over 12 months, you can expect a stimulating and challenging experience.
Your year with us is an opportunity to stretch yourself to the maximum, to be challenged and inspired by the faculty and your colleagues and to make lasting friendships around the globe.
At the end of the year you’ll have gained skills and abilities to help you realise your career aspirations. Studying full-time allows you the opportunity to focus on the course rather than trying to juggle study and work.
See the website https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduatetaught/mba-fulltime/
- The full-time course is 12 months - 10 months are spent taking part in classes, group-work and personal development processes, and two months completing the MBA project
- It allows you to take time to embark on life planning and in many cases reinventing or re-planning your career
- There are a number of classes designed to identify your personal strengths and weaknesses
- The course is intensive and relies heavily on teamwork throughout – encouraging cooperation rather than competition
As the full time MBA route of study is normally undertaken by those changing careers or considering starting up their own business, the programme has a more formal, integrated careers development element.
Benefits of the full-time programme
As we require a minimum of three years' work experience (the average is over nine years) you’ll find your colleagues have a wealth of experience which is a powerful resource that will prove invaluable.
Students come from a wide variety of industries, public service and voluntary agencies. Typically this has included accounting and financial managers, consultants, engineers, IT specialists, and marketing managers but also some people with very different perspectives, such as medical professionals, civil servants and military officers.
The class has a maximum intake of around 60 course members from a variety of countries. Our strong belief is by limiting the class size, you’ll interact more with academic staff and class-mates, making the overall MBA experience highly participative and engaging.
Less than 1% of business schools in the world hold "triple accreditation", and Strathclyde is one of them. The 3 international accrediting bodies are:
- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- The European Quality Improvement System
- The Association of MBAs
To gain accreditation by one of these bodies is an achievement in itself. To gain accreditation by all three bodies is a truly outstanding accomplishment and one we're proud of.
- Association of Masters of Business Administration (AMBA)
You’re eligible to join AMBA after enrolment on an MBA course.
Our selection process is designed to identify talented professionals from a wide range of academic, business and cultural backgrounds.
While there are formal requirements for entry listed below, we take into consideration:
- your potential
- your interpersonal and team working qualities
- the range and nature of your managerial experience
In order to assess these skills we ask you to complete a number of essays outlining your experience and aspirations alongside references supporting your work experience and academic record.
We may ask you to undertake a formal interview to discuss your achievements and aspirations. We encourage you to visit the school or centre you’re applying to and to ask as many questions as you need to clarify your decision.
Qualifications & experience
For entry to the MBA programme you must:
- hold a degree from a UK university, or equivalent academic qualification from a comparable non-UK institution. If you studied for your undergraduate degree at a non-UK institution we'll need a copy of your degree transcript. Professional qualifications will also be considered.
- be at least 24 years of age.
- have a minimum of three years' full-time postgraduate experience where the management of people and resources has played a significant role.
Entry at Diploma level may be offered to applicants who do not hold sufficient recognised degree level qualifications, but who do:
- hold non-degree/professional qualifications plus at least five years' varied management experience.
- have no formal qualifications but extensive and varied management experience (10 or more years).
- are exceptional candidates over the age of 24 with a minimum of two years' managerial experience. This is available only to candidates applying to routes other than full-time.
Although the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is not a standard requirement of our admissions process, strong verbal reasoning and numerical abilities are critical for the MBA and we may ask you to undertake such a test.
Competence in English
The MBA programme is highly interactive and requires a high level of competence in English speaking, writing, reading and understanding. A minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS is required for those applicants whose first language is not English. We may consider applicants who fall slightly below these standards if they're willing to undertake pre-sessional study.
In order to undertake the Diploma/MBA you need to be competent in word processing, the use of spreadsheets and in report writing.
Learning & teaching
The Strathclyde MBA is not just a business programme. It’s a stimulating, challenging and potentially life-changing experience, which will make you question, re-think and re-evaluate how you do business.
The Strathclyde MBA is highly experiential and based on collaborative learning. You share your varied work experiences, knowledge, understanding and skills.
The MBA will shape and guide you as a reflective, open thinking, adaptive learner.
We recognise that career development is one of the main reasons why people invest in an MBA. The MBA job market offers plenty of global opportunity but can be complex and challenging.
That's why we offer a dedicated careers service for MBA students. This consists of career planning and skills development as well as unlimited access to personal advice and coaching. Our careers service is delivered in-house and by a team of top consultants.
We work with you to compliment your own proactive job search efforts. We help use your own particular career background and strengths to help with your next career move.
You’ll gain the understanding and tools to develop your personal, strategic career plan, as well as the self-marketing and communication skills to make effective applications and impress at interview.
You’ll have the knowledge of the global job market and a range of contacts to make it work for you
Find information on Scholarships here http://www.strath.ac.uk/mba/scholarships/