Why this course?
Strathclyde Business School has been delivering the Strathclyde MBA on an executive (part-time) basis via our international centres since 1988. We’ve successfully offered and developed the MBA in the UAE since 1995.
A pioneering and experienced MBA provider, we update and review our MBA to reflect the current business environment. Strathclyde’s MBA is strategy-focused and blends theoretical and practical business learning. Our MBA is flexible, and responsive to the needs of working individuals. Our wide choice of electives can help you personalise the programme to suit your business interests. These elective classes can be studied in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, as well as in Glasgow or at our other international centres, to give you an international learning and networking experience.
The MBA project gives you an opportunity to examine in depth a managerial, organisational or environmental issue of your choice over an extended period of time.
Our Executive MBA allows you to study whilst continuing with your career and allows you to implement your learning into work.
See the website https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduatetaught/mba-dubai-abudhabi/#
What is the programme format?
The programme is designed for busy executives who need to combine career and family commitments with the demands of MBA studies. The flexibility of the part-time approach enables most participants to graduate within two years. However, study may be spread over a longer period if necessary, to a maximum of six years.
Typically, your MBA studies will be made up of:
- monthly intensive seminars delivered by Strathclyde academics at both our Dubai and Abu Dhabi centres
- regular tutorials with our locally based counsellors
- off-campus learning and support via our virtual learning environment
You’ll work in an international environment alongside like-minded classmates and be part of our long established network of students and alumni from our international postgraduate centres.
A highlight of the Strathclyde calendar is the annual MBA Summer School which takes place in Glasgow, over May and June. The summer school is open to all study routes of the MBA who have reached the elective stage of the programme. It's a great way to accelerate your studies, and network with a large group of international colleagues.
Strathclyde Business School is triple accredited by the three international accrediting bodies – AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB. To gain accreditation by one of these bodies is an achievement in itself. To gain accreditation by all three bodies is a truly outstanding accomplishment and one of which we're proud.
The MBA has been accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research.
Our selection process is designed to identify talented professionals from a wide range of academic, business and cultural backgrounds.
While there are formal requirements for entry listed below, we take into consideration:
- your potential
- your interpersonal and team working qualities
- the range and nature of your managerial experience
In order to assess these skills we ask you to complete a number of essays outlining your experience and aspirations alongside references supporting your work experience and academic record.
We may ask you to undertake a formal interview to discuss your achievements and aspirations. We also encourage you to visit the school or centre you’re applying to and to ask as many questions as you need.
Qualifications & experience
For entry to the MBA programme you must:
- hold a degree from a UK university, or equivalent academic qualification from a comparable non-UK institution. If you studied for your undergraduate degree at a non-UK institution we will need a copy of your degree transcript. Professional qualifications will also be considered.
- be at least 24 years of age.
- have a minimum of three years' full-time postgraduate experience where the management of people and resources has played a significant role.
Although the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is not a standard requirement of our admissions process, strong verbal reasoning and numerical abilities are critical for the MBA and we may ask you to undertake such a test.
Competence in English
The MBA programme is highly interactive and requires a high level of competence in English speaking, writing, reading and understanding. A minimum score of 6 in IELTS (general or academic) or TOEFL 550 or iBT 79 is required if your first language is not English. We may consider applicants who fall slightly below these standards if they're willing to undertake pre-sessional study.
You can be exempt from the English Language Proficiency test if you meet one of the following conditions stipulated by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research in the 'Graduate Education Admission Regulations for Licensed Non-Federal Institutions':
1. You’re a native speaker of English who has completed your undergraduate education in an English medium institution in a country where English is the official language
2. You graduated from an English medium institution in a country where English is the official language. You can also provide evidence of having achieved a TOEFL score of 500 or its standardised equivalent approved by the Ministry, upon admission to the undergraduate program.
No matter how fluent your written and spoken English is, unless you meet one of the above criteria, as a UAE accredited programme, we cannot exempt you from the English Language Proficiency requirement.
In order to undertake the Diploma/MBA you need to be competent in word processing, the use of spreadsheets and in report writing.
We strongly recommend that you have access to your own computer. Guidelines for software and hardware are available from our UAE partner.
Learning & teaching
The Strathclyde International MBA is a face-to-face taught programme.
All classes are held on weekends and evenings at the Dubai and Abu Dhabi campuses and include:
- seminars on Fridays & Saturdays from 09:00 to 18:00 which are led by academics from the University of Strathclyde
approximately once a month
- tutorial sessions of three hours, held once a week, either in the evening or on weekends. They are led by local counsellors who have been approved and appointed by Strathclyde.
The programme is structured over four semesters. There are two semesters a year and each semester is approximately five and a half months long.
We recognise that career development is one of the main reasons why people invest in an MBA. The MBA job market offers plenty of global opportunity but can be complex and challenging.
That's why we offer a dedicated careers service for MBA students. This consists of career planning and skills development as well as unlimited access to personal advice and coaching. Our careers service is delivered in-house and by a team of top consultants.
We work with you to complement your proactive job search efforts. We help you use your own particular career background and strengths to help with your next career move too.
You’ll gain the understanding and tools to develop your personal, strategic career plan, as well as the self-marketing and communication skills to make effective applications and impress at interview.
You’ll have the knowledge of the global job market and a range of contacts to make it work for you.