Why this course?
This taught postgraduate programme aims to introduce you to advanced level study of history, while deepening your historical understanding and awareness.
You’re offered a wide choice of classes as well as rigorous training in historical research methods and sources. You can choose to study thematic, historiographical or theoretical topics across a broad chronological and geographical range. There’s also the possibility of specialising in a particular area such as:
- international relations history in the 19th and 20th centuries
- early modern Scottish history
There’s a wide choice of classes within a flexible curriculum.
- Sources, Skills and Methods for Historians 1
- Sources, Skills and Methods for Historians 2
- Palaeography, c1500-c1800
- Britain, France and the United States, 1945-1958: Diplomacy, Strategy and Alliance
- Transatlantic Influences: the United States and Europe after 1958
- Nationalism and Nation-states in the Arab Middle East, 1900-1945
- Plantations by Land and Sea, 1540-1700
- Pharmaceuticals, Ethics and Health, 1800-1980
- Segregation, Migration and War: African-Americans, 1910-1930
- The Patriarchal Family in Early Modern Society
- Governing Highs and Health: History and the Control of Drugs
- Work and Occupational Health in the 20th Century
- Themes in the History of Health and Colonial Medicine in South Asia
- War, Sacrifice and the Nation in Europe, 1789-1918
- Scotland and Ulster in the early modern North Atlantic World
- The Lordship of the Isles
- Food and Health in the West during the 20th Century
Note: Not all classes will be on offer in any one year. Others may also be chosen from Level 5 classes offered by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
MSc students also write a dissertation of 15,000 words.
Pre-Masters preparation course
The Pre-Masters Programme is a preparation course for international students (non EU/UK) who do not meet the entry requirements for a Masters degree at University of Strathclyde
. The Pre-Masters programme provides progression to a number of degree options.
To find out more about the courses and opportunities on offer visit isc.strath.ac.uk or call today on +44 (0) 1273 339333 and discuss your education future. You can also complete the online application form, or to ask a question please fill in the enquiry form and talk to one of our multi-lingual Student Enrolment Advisers today.
To recognise academic achievement, the Dean's International Excellence Award offers students a merit-based scholarship of up to £3,000 for entry onto a full-time Masters programme in the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences. http://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/scholarships/humanitiessocialsciencesscholarships/deansinternationalexcellenceawards/
Find information on Scholarships here http://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/scholarships/
2016/17: Scotland/EU £4,600 (FT)/£2,300(PT); Rest of UK £4,600(FT)/£2,300(PT); International £13,000. See website for PgDip prices