This MSc will introduce students to interdisciplinary approaches and a diverse range of methods used to research our relationships with other species. This course introduces a broad range of topics and considers human-animal interactions across a diverse range of contexts from pet owning to animal assisted interventions, zoos, farms and conservation.
Psychology at Stirling has a vibrant research culture and our taught postgraduate students are fully integrated in the research community, meeting up for weekly research seminars and informal specialist discussion groups. Psychology masters students have access to a dedicated suite of study and teaching rooms.
- Degree type: MA, MSc, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma
- Study methods: Campus based, Full-time, Part-time
- Start date: September
- Course Director: Professor Hannah Buchanan-Smith
- Location: Stirling Campus
English language requirements
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS: 6.0 with 5.5 minimum in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade C
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 54 with 51 in each component
- IBT TOEFL: 80 with no subtest less than 17
For more information go to English language requirements https://www.stir.ac.uk/study-in-the-uk/entry-requirements/english/
If you don’t meet the required score you may be able to register for one of our pre-sessional English courses. To register you must hold a conditional offer for your course and have an IELTS score 0.5 or 1.0 below the required standard. View the range of pre-sessional courses http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/our-centres/into-university-of-stirling/studying/our-courses/course-list/pre-sessional-english.aspx
Structure and content
The course includes three core modules on different aspects of human-animal interaction:
- Humans and Other Animals
- Animals and Society
- Human-Animal Interaction in Applied Contexts
In addition, there is an external placement module and an individual research project. Optional modules include quantitative and/or qualitative research methods, and a choice of postgraduate modules to suit specific personal development needs (in agreement with the Course Director). The individual module components contribute towards 60 percent of the MA/MSc grade, with the research dissertation contributing the remaining 40 percent.
This is a one year (12 month) or 27 month part-time course and can be studied as an MA or MSc (dependent on whether the focus is on quantitative or qualitative methodologies). Selected components of this masters programme can also be taken to gain a postgraduate certificate (PGCert 60 credits, part time over 9 months) or a diploma (PGDip 120 credits over 9 months) as continuing professional development for those already working in this area.
Delivery and assessment
Teaching is delivered using a variety of methods including tutorials, demonstrations and practical classes, but the majority is seminar-based. Students are typically taught in small groups in specialist classes, or with first year PhD students or other postgraduate students (for example, in modules from other MSc courses). A range of assessment methods are used across the programme including:
- research proposals
- critical reviews
- reflective journals for placements
- oral presentations
- popular science articles
In REF2014 Stirling was placed 6th in Scotland and 45th in the UK with almost three quarters of research activity rated either world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Study abroad opportunities
As a 12 month course there is limited opportunity to study abroad. However, students may be able to undertake a placement or conduct data collection for their research project at suitable organisations outside the UK.
The course is designed for those going on to do further research in the field of human- animal interaction, or in careers where a knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects of this field would be beneficial. In particular, the placement and research project can enable students to gain direct experience tailored to individual career aspirations.
A minimum of a second class Honours degree (2.1 preferred) or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience are encouraged to apply.