The MSc Investment Analysis is the UK’s longest-established postgraduate level course in the field of investment management education. It is one of the very few Master’s degrees in the UK to have CFA® Institute Program Partner status and one of a select group of partner institutions worldwide.
As a CFA® Institute Program Partner, at least 70% of the learning outcomes of all three levels of the CFA® Programme are covered and so the course is ideally suited to those who wish to become qualified as a CFA® Charter-Holder.
- Degree type: Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma, MSc
- Study methods: Full-time
- Duration: 12 months
- Start date: September
- Course Director: Dr Kevin Campbell
The syllabus has a distinctly international orientation that reflects the increasingly globalised nature of financial markets and the investment management profession.
Such is the international reputation of the course that students come from a wide variety of educational and professional backgrounds and cultures, providing a unique opportunity for the development of worldwide contacts. The Stirling MSc in Investment Analysis team has an unrivaled record in the UK CFA© Institute Research Challenge. Stirling has won the UK final of this competition and reached the final in seven out of eight years. As a Programme Partner we are also able to offer on a competitive basis CFA Scholarships for the CFA level 1 exam.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS: 6.0 with 5.5 minimum in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade C
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 54 with 51 in each component
- IBT TOEFL: 80 with no subtest less than 17
For more information go to English language requirements https://www.stir.ac.uk/study-in-the-uk/entry-requirements/english/
If you don’t meet the required score you may be able to register for one of our pre-sessional English courses. To register you must hold a conditional offer for your course and have an IELTS score 0.5 or 1.0 below the required standard. View the range of pre-sessional courses http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/our-centres/into-university-of-stirling/studying/our-courses/course-list/pre-sessional-english.aspx
Delivery and assessment
Students experience lectures, small group seminars, problem-solving classes, drop-in sessions, computer labs and group working during their studies. Successful completion of the taught modules leads to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma. The Master’s degree is awarded on satisfactory completion of a dissertation, following the Diploma examinations. Dissertation topics range over all areas of relevance to investment analysis and allow completion of a case study or research topic dissertation.
The top student on the course receives the Walter Scott Global Investment Management Prize.
Where are our graduates now?
Stirling Management School is unique in having a dedicated Employability Manager and from the very beginning of the course your career is our focus.
MSc Investment Analysis graduates work around the world and the following are examples of the organisations they are employed by:
- Aegon Asset Management
- Alliance Trust
- Baillie Gifford
- Barclays Global Investors
- Ernst & Young
- Investec Securities
- JP Morgan
- Russell Investments
- Silk Invest Ltd
- Standard Charted Bank
Graduates entering into employment in the recent years have secured positions such as:
- Financial Consultant, e-FSW (Greece)
- Relationship Adviser (Private Banking), Royal Bank of Scotland (UK)
- Quantitative Analyst, Silk Invest Ltd (UK)
- Investment Banking Analyst, Government Savings Bank (Thailand)
Alumni of Investment Analysis who graduated between five and ten years ago have advanced into positions such as:
- Partner, Corporate Services Bureau Limited (Zambia)
- Senior Broker (Retail Sales & Trading), National Securities (Greece)
- Portfolio Manager – High Yield, Fortis Investments (UK)
- Senior Analyst, Bank of Thailand Risk Analyst, RBS Insurance (UK)
- Investment Researcher, Jiajing Investment Company (China)
Our alumni are leading and shaping the strategy of global financial organisations:
- Managing Director, Citi – Global Banking (Hong Kong)
- Head of Asset Management, Allemby Hunt (UK)
- Fund Manager, MCB Investment Management (Mauritius)
- Chief Financial Officer, Nanyang Press Holding (Malaysia)
- Vice President, MCB Bank Ltd (Pakistan)
- Senior Equity Analyst, Atlantic Investment (USA)