• A conversion route into Psychology for students who hold an Honours degree in a subject other than Psychology.
• Accredited by the British Psychological Society.
• Equips students with the necessary skills to facilitate research at MPhil or PhD level in the area of psychology or go on to a professional training programme.
• Facilitates conversion to psychology from business and economic backgrounds to improve employability for a wider range of job opportunities.
• Provides the statistical and methodological skills necessary to undertake research in psychology.
• Gain a detailed knowledge of the core areas of psychology and principal theoretical and methodological issues in the field.
* The School of Psychology & Neuroscience has 42 full-time academic staff, 9 technical staff, 72 research postgraduates, 18 postdoctoral researchers and 54 taught postgraduate students.
* The School has an international reputation for the quality of its teaching and research and has some of the best psychological laboratory facilities in the UK. The School of Psychology & Neuroscience has consistently been ranked one of the best research departments in the UK.
* The breadth and variety of psychology and neuroscience taught in the School are particular strengths with significant opportunities to collaborate and benefit from a range of techniques applied to understanding the behaviour of humans and animals.
* Considerable contact time with researchers occurs via tutorials and research project supervision’.
The School’s size promotes a friendly atmosphere with a crossflow of ideas while providing the depth and breadth necessary to pursue major scientific programmes at an international level. We have active links with other Schools and Departments within the University, with other Scottish universities and with research institutions outside the UK.
We have a large and thriving community of research staff and postgraduate students. We believe that good teaching and good research go hand-in-hand and we take pride in our research-based culture of teaching.
We are equipped with modern technology to perform virtually all aspects of psychological research. Facilities include laboratories in neurophysiology, psychopharmacology, psychophysics, animal learning and cognition, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology and social psychology. We have extensive computing facilities for both online control of experiments and offline analysis of data.
We see postgraduate study as part of your long-term career development. Alongside the University’s Careers Centre (see page 26), we offer advice and support in planning your career. The School provides opportunities to gain experience of working in an academic context, by being involved in tutorials, laboratory classes and other aspects of academic work.
The vast majority of our postgraduates have gained postdoctoral and lecturing positions in universities across the world while others have jobs in healthcare (as researchers and clinicians), wildlife conservation, information technology and management services.
Studying at St Andrews is a truly unique experience. The mediaeval coastal setting is calm and picturesque, while the University’s reputation and research are truly world class. The School’s low student to staff ratio allows you to feel like one of the family, and develop close relationships with supervisors and staff. There is a strong student community, and work life balances well with social life. My Psychology degree has enabled me to experience a range of different subject areas, whilst allowing me to hone my specific interests. I have grown not only as an academic but also as a person, and feel confident and well equipped to undertake new challenges.
Our minimum academic requirement for entry to most programmes is a 2:1 degree classification from a recognised UK university or the equivalent in a subject-related area
2017/18: Home/EU £7,500; Overseas £20,370
Recipient: University of St Andrews
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here