The MSc Environmental Modelling is designed as a broad-based curriculum that extends from the technical detail of environmental process modelling to critical analysis of the role of modelling within decision-making processes and the relevance of modelling to risk perception and management.
By bridging the divide between science and decision-making across a range of modelling contexts, this course adopts a truly interdisciplinary approach to the subject of environmental modelling. The inclusion of strong vocational and professional elements, in addition to traditional academic approaches, is intended to ensure that graduates are suitably equipped to enter a range of environment-related employments.
• Maximise your employability potential by developing environment-sector knowledge and skills that employers want
• Develop the interdisciplinary expertise that will enable you to excel in your career
• Extend your network of contacts by working on projects in both an academic and business context
Visit the website: http://www.salford.ac.uk/pgt-courses/environmental-modelling
This course is ideally suited to students who wish to enter or are already employed in environment sector roles such as consultants, environmental managers, Government, and national and multinational businesses. The course also provides an excellent foundation for those wishing to undertake postgraduate research.
For the full-time September entry option:
Semester 1 – September to December
Semester 2 – January to May
Semester 3 – June to September
For the part-time September start option:
- Year 1 -
Semester 1: Modelling Environmental Processes (30 credits)
Semester 2: Research and Professional Practice (30 credits)
- Year 2 -
Semester 1: Risk: Perception & Management (30 credits)
Semester 2: Modelling and Visualisation Applications (30 credits)
- Year 3 -
Semesters 1 & 2: Dissertation (60 credits)
This course offers a blended learning experience designed to cater for a range of learning styles:
• Lectures, tutorials and seminars are supported by in-class exercises
• Pre- and post-session study is administered through the Virtual Learning Environment
• Practical classes enable you to develop your environmental modelling skills
• Case studies and business-focused projects develop your professional and subject-specific skills
• Field work and site visits develop your practical, observational and analytical skills
• You also have the opportunity to discuss and exchange professional experiences with the course team and invited specialist speakers
• Modelling Environmental Processes
• Risk: Perception & Management
• Modelling and Visualisation Applications
• Research and Professional Practice
Each module is assessed individually through coursework, comprising individual essays or group report presentations.
This course is particularly suited to those who wish to pursue a career with an environmental modelling focus, which is a priority area for environment-sector employers in both the UK and abroad. The course will also prepare you to enter a broad range of environment sector roles, including consultancy, business, research and Government. Graduates of this course will also be well placed to continue to a PhD programme.
How to apply: http://www.salford.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying
Applicants should possess at least a UK lower second class honours degree (2:2) or equivalent. This Masters programme will appeal not only to those with backgrounds in environmental subjects (such as environmental science, geography, geology and earth sciences and oceanography) but also to those with a background in other sciences (such as physics and biology) or engineering who wish to develop their skills in an environmental context.