This course is your opportunity to specialise in the development of web-based software systems that use databases. During your time with us, you will gain a critical awareness of the methodologies, tools and techniques used for the development of web-based computer systems and an advanced understanding of the techniques used for the development, evaluation and testing of databases.
The course also develops an awareness of the latest developments in the field of advanced databases, data mining and data warehousing. You will also gain substantial knowledge and skills in the deployment of SAS business intelligence software leading towards SAS data miner accreditation, and learn what the Semantic Web and Linked Data are, together with what these technologies enable.
• The course gives you hands-on experience in design and implementation of databases in both Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server DBMS and prepares you to obtain DBA certification
• You learn how to design and implement a web application using ASP.NET, Microsoft SQL Server, and PHP with My SQL
• You learn the data mining techniques to mine data in different application domains using most popular data mining tools.
Visit the website: http://www.salford.ac.uk/pgt-courses/databases-and-web-based-systems
This course is for students who want to become trained professionals:
• In designing and implementing database systems in Oracle Micro Soft SQL Server DBMS and who want to be prepared to obtain DBA certification
• In designing and implementing a web application using ASP.NET, Microsoft SQL Server, and PHP with My SQL
• With hands-on experience in data mining techniques to mine data in different application domains using the most popular data mining tools.
This course covers a very comprehensive range of topics split in to four large modules worth 30 credits each plus the MSc Project. External speakers from blue-chip and local companies will give seminars to complement your learning, that will be real-world case studies related to the subjects you are studying in your modules. These are designed to improve the breadth of your learning and often lead to ideas that you can develop for your MSc Project.
Teaching on this course takes the form of lectures, individual and group class work, topical class discussions and critical case study evaluation.
You will gain hands-on lab experience of using and setting up databases and web-based systems. What’s more, tutorials will give you practice in solving the theoretical and design problems associated with these systems.
• Advanced Databases
• Web-Based Software Development
• Semantic Web and Information Extraction
• Business Intelligence
• MSc Project
• Coursework 60%
• Examinations 40%
With this qualification, you’ll be equipped as web/database designer and programmer, data analytics and miner among other roles. Your experience will be in high demand across all industrial and commercial sectors.
Previous students have gone on to work with companies including British Airways, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Oracle and other IT firms.
How to apply: http://www.salford.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying
An honours degree (second-class or above) in an appropriate subject, such as electronic or electrical engineering, computer science or physics. Other subjects with a high technical content will be considered individually. We welcome applications from students who may not have formal/traditional entry criteria but who have relevant experience or the ability to pursue the course successfully. The Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) process could help you to make your work and life experience count.