This course is ideal if you want to specialise in human resource management. You will develop your understanding of HRM practices across a variety of organisational settings, with an emphasis on strategic, international and comparative subject matter.
• Achieve a qualification accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) with one of the UK’s leading providers
• Study part-time and gain a CIPD Advanced Level Diploma in just 18 months
• Enhance your employability by developing the skills needed to motivate, manage and reward employees
• This is an Advanced Level programme, recognised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development as providing the necessary knowledge to apply for Chartered Membership. On graduation you will also receive an Advanced Level Certificate from CIPD.
• Full-time students automatically gain entrance to the CIPD National conference and Exhibition in Manchester - the leading HRM conference in the UK.
Visit the website: http://www.salford.ac.uk/pgt-courses/human-resource-management-and-development
This course is also available as a part-time evening course. View details here: http://www.salford.ac.uk/pgt-courses/human-resource-management-and-development2
This course is designed for graduates with a background in business or business related studies, who wish to specialise in HRM with a view to pursuing a career as an HRM practitioner either as a functional specialist or in other areas of management which involves significant people management responsibilities. On completion you will have developed as a manager of people by learning specialist knowledge and the application of theory and practice in the main specialist areas which comprise HRM.
You will be equipped with the knowledge and specialist skills to effectively select, motivate, manage and reward employees to maximise their potential and the potential of their respective organisations. You will also become a reflective practitioner and enhance your learning and development capabilities.
Format and assessment
- Semester 1 -
• Strategic International Business Management (CIPD)
• Resourcing Learning and Talent Management
- Semester 2 -
• Employment Relations and Law
• Project Management, Leadership and Skills
- Semester 3 -
- Business Innovation Project
For the final third of your studies you can choose from 4 differing pathways, all of which are designed to accommodate your career aspirations and enhance your professional practice (candidates who are not seeking a CIPD award):
• Live Project
Only two options in the Business Innovation Project are open to CIPD candidates:
1) Six month Work Placement assessed by a Management Research Report
2) Dissertation (CIPD candidates – Investigating a Business Issue from and HR Perspective)
Teaching is delivered through a combination of lectures, seminars and tutorials using a wide range of learning activities.
Various approaches are offered to meet the needs of both full and part-time students. The course is delivered to part-time students over two three-day intensive blocks in the evenings, meaning each module will be completed within a six-week period.
Substantial use is made of distance learning through the University's Virtual Learning Environment, and a wide range of academic journals and texts are available in both paper and electronic formats. Tutorials allow you to reflect on lecture materials and benefit from discussion and group work.
The dissertation element offers a further opportunity for you to apply your knowledge and skills in a more flexible environment.
During your course, a range of assessment techniques will be used. Types of assessment include: essays, assignments, exams, multiple-choice tests, online tests, group reports and portfolio work. The weighting between exams and coursework varies between modules, but exams still play a major role.
You will gain a highly regarded formal qualification, as well as personal and organisational management skills that will enhance your career prospects. The CIPD Manchester, Merseyside and Lancashire branches are led by graduates from the programme. This course will provide you with flexible employment opportunities leading to potential roles with a variety of management-level national and international sectors.
Recent Salford Business School graduates have gained employment with leading companies including:
• Ernst & Young
• Dixons Group plc
• British Airways
• Cooperative Insurance Services
• American Express
• Office of the Legal Services Ombudsman
• Premier Travel Inn
• Thomson Holidays
• DTS Logistics
• Greater Manchester Police
• The NHS
How to apply: http://www.salford.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying
Normally a minimum 2:2 honours degree or equivalent or successful completion of the Graduate Certificate International Management. A wide range of professional qualifications are also accepted either in partial or complete fulfilment of entry requirements. In the case of non-graduates please look at APEL. Students are required to join CIPD and Manchester Industrial Relations Society.