The MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) programme offers those beginning a teaching career in English Language an opportunity to develop their essential teaching skills and professional knowledge.
The MA TESOL is a rigorous qualification which provides you with strong all-round skills development and up-to-date subject knowledge. The course is highly valued by educational employers and will help to raise your profile when seeking to launch or advance your career as a language teaching professional.
We pride ourselves on the level of support we provide to our students. You will be supported by a personal tutor who, where possible, will remain with you throughout the programme, and you will also have access to the full range of university support services.
The aim of MA TESOL is to:
• provide you with the basic practical skills you need to enter a language classroom with confidence
• enhance your subject knowledge about the English Language
• develop your ability to undertake language teaching at a range of levels, in different cultural and institutional contexts
• provide you with an opportunity to develop an understanding of professional issues relating to language teaching and learning
Participating in the learning activities and accessing the academic support services available to University of Leicester
students will also help you develop your fluency and accuracy in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
• Communicative Language Teaching in Action
• Grammar Awareness
• Phonology and Pronunciation
• Reflections on Language Teaching and Learning
• Second Language Teaching
• Second Language Learning
• Dissertation (with Research Methods)
• Continuing Professional Development for English Language Teachers
• Corpus Approaches to Lexis
• Discourse Analysis
• Intercultural Communication
• Language in Society
• Language Testing and Assessment
• Materials Design and Development
• Psychological Issues in Language Learning
• Words and Dictionaries
If you have a particular interest in lexis (vocabulary), you can specialize in Lexical Studies. This involves taking both Words and Dictionaries and Corpus Approaches to Lexis and writing your Professional Enquiry (or Dissertation) on a related topic. This entitles you to an MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL with Lexical Studies.
Teaching and Assessment Methods
• On campus-teaching is seminar-based, with tutorial support.
• Assessment is through essays and some tests and project work.
• You will be encouraged to develop your transferable skills, including IT and oral presentation
Applicants should normally be preparing for work in the ELT field, with at least a second class honours degree or equivalent plus evidence of committment to teaching English.