About the course
The MSc Skin Integrity Skills & Treatment is a taught programme for health professionals wishing to develop or extend practical skills, knowledge and experience in wound management and skin integrity.
It has an emphasis on developing practical competencies; good diagnostic skills, appropriate and timely management of common wounds and skin integrity problems.
This programme is supplemented by lectures, seminars, workshops, clinical skills demonstrations, clinical placements and conference presentations by academic staff and invited expert clinicians.
See the website http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/skin-integrity-skills-and-treatment
Why choose this course?
- Focus on clinical skills
- Practical Emphasis
- Classroom taught lectures
- Small class sizes
- Regular small group seminars and tutorials
- Choice of modules
- Personal tutor support
- Excellent networking and peer support
- Consistently positive student feedback
- Specifically designed to support overseas graduates
Clinical lectures focus on the principles of promoting skin integrity in patients of all ages. The programme has an emphasis on the following:
- Maintenance of skin integrity
- Chronic wound management
- Inflammatory skin conditions
- Research methods in wound care
- Evidence based practice and treatment protocol
- Change and Project management
- The MSc Skin Integrity Skills & Treatment comprises of 6 taught modules (30 credits each) of 12 weeks duration.
- Successful completion of the programme leads to award of an MSc Skin Integrity Skills & Treatment. Achievement of a Postgraduate Diploma in Skin Integrity Skills & Treatment is possible for those who are unable to complete the final dissertation project.
- A minimum of 2 specialist optional modules (60 credits) must be studied plus 2 compulsory core modules (60 credits). The remaining credits may be selected from optional modules of common interest.
[[Programme of Study ]]
- The programme is offered on a modular basis, each module is assessed
- Progression depends on successful completion of existing modules
- The programme comprises of 4 compulsory and 2 elective specialist modules
Example of Full Time MSc Skin Integrity Skills & Treatment (September Start)
This programme offers excellent opportunities for continuing professional development for practicing health professionals. It is an MSc programme, but UK clinicians can choose to study specific modules relevant to their professional practice as short courses.
International students should note that completion of this course does not lead to registration to practice in the UK. This programme may be sufficient for clinician’s to work as specialist practitioners in their country of origin, but local requirements should be checked prior to commencing the programme.
You will experience a wide variety of teaching methods throughout the programme including: interactive and ‘key-note’ lectures, seminars and workshops incorporating for example case studies, role play, scenario based learning and discussion groups covering a wide variety of topics. Individual and group based tutorials. Supervised practice placements in specialist skin integrity settings, skills based demonstrations / workshops and the use of technologies for example video, podcasts, and other e-packages designed to enhance learning and teaching. These resources are supported by a well stocked learning resource centre and via a virtual learning environment called StudyNet which enables you to access learning resources on line 24 hours and day, 7 days a week. The course is intense and will require students to be "self directed" learners.
Find out how to apply here http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/skin-integrity-skills-and-treatment#how-to-apply
Find information on Scholarships here http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-funding/scholarships/postgraduate
There is a requirement for students to have normally: completed a relevant university degree and have a recognised professional qualification; 2 years post registration experience; current clinical experience of a minimum 6 months in a clinical setting with access to patients with chronic wounds and skin conditions; an English language requirement - IELTS 6.0 or equivalent; appropriate visa status to study in the UK
UK/EU Students: Full time £6,100, Part time £510 per module; International Students: Full time £12,000