About the course
The MSc in Pharmaceutics provides advanced knowledge in pharmaceutics and medicines formulation. The University of Hertfordshire
is at the heart of a pharmaceutical research cluster in North London.
Our course has been developed with the support of UK regulatory professionals and industrial pharmaceutical scientists to train graduates to enter employment within regulated industrial pharmaceutical laboratories.
The Masters course will develop the specialist pharmaceutics knowledge base for chemists, chemical engineers and chemically interested pharmaceutical scientists. The MSc Pharmaceutics will also prepare you for a career in Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs.
On this MSc course you will study several core modules with medicinal and pharmaceutical analytical chemists to develop inter-disciplinary skills. The core modules place considerable emphasis on generic research skills such as the preparation of research proposals and protocols, as well as exploring the principles of industrial pharmaceutical scientific research and development.
The specialist modules in pharmaceutics and formulation involve detailed study and laboratory investigation of drug characterization and medicines production. Our Drug Delivery and Formulation Science draws on the expertise of our leading Centre for Research into Topical Drug Delivery and Toxicology, and you will be taught by some of Europe's leading researchers and industrial scientists in this exciting field.
See the website http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/pharmaceutics
Why choose this course?
- Modular course structure with an emphasis on regulatory affairs in formulation and product development
- Extensive and modern manufacturing and formulation analysis laboratory facilities
- Extended research project in the research group of one of our investigators
- Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs module taught, mostly, by either in one-day off-campus visits to local pharmaceutical companies or by industry experts on campus.
- World-class analytical laboratory facilities in the centre of the South-east England's pharmaceutical industry triangle.
- Excellent opportunities for continuing professional development
- Committed, research-active staff to support your development as a pharmaceutical scientist
- The School of Life and Medical Science will move into a brand new science building opening in September 2015 providing us with world class laboratories for our teaching and research. At a cost of £50M the new building provides spacious naturally lit laboratories and social spaces creating an environment that fosters multi-disciplinary learning and research.
The MSc Pharmaceutics is a full-time programme which offers excellent skill development to launch a career in the pharmaceutical industry whether here in the UK, or with companies who operate outside the European Union.
The course will also accelerate the careers of those currently working within the UK pharmaceutical industry, and is offered on a part-time basis for day-release from your place of work. Several modules may also be studied by UK full-time employees on a short-course basis with the award of ECTS credit.
All taught modules will consist of a series of lectures and supporting workshops and, with the exception of Science Research Methods and Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs, will have assessed laboratory sessions.
Our school, at the University of Hertfordshire
offers world-class teaching and learning facilities, including Europe's largest medical simulation laboratory.
Several of the students will have the opportunity to complete their research projects within the pharmaceutical industry.
Find out how to apply here http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/pharmaceutics#how-to-apply
Find information on Scholarships here http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-funding/scholarships/postgraduate
Minimum 2:1 degree in pharmacy, pharmaceutical science, chemical engineering, chemistry analytical chemistry or related relevant subject (with substantial chemistry content) and Candidates with appropriate post-degree industrial pharmacy work experience may also be considered. Overseas equivalent and alternative qualifications will be assessed for their equivalence to a UK 2.1 level and IELTS scores.
UK/EU Students: Full time £7,700, Part time £645 per module; International Students: Full time £12,500