About the course
- Join a programme that is sharply tailored to reflect the current demands of the music industry.
- Collaborate with MA Film students in our School of Creative Arts.
- Develop a portfolio of work showcasing your talent in a wide range of media, opening up a wide range of opportunities.
- Learn in the university’s top-class facilities, assisted by tutors who are themselves industry professionals.
See the website http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/music-composition-for-film-and-media
Why choose this course?
This is a unique programme specifically conceived in response to the current industry’s demand for composers who are able to work effectively with a variety of media. It covers film soundtrack as well as related digital media in both linear and non-linear environments: video, animation and interactive game-audio.
Students on the MSc Music courses engage with all aspects of soundtrack composition, from music to sound design, exploring the whole spectrum of acoustic and electroacoustic resources, and all the latest techniques and technologies.
On this course you will discover previously unsuspected areas in which to take your professional career, opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
Assessment is conceived around real-life projects, allowing you to build a portfolio of works showcasing your talent in a wide range of media. You will undertake 5 portfolio projects:
- Soundtrack to video art
- Soundtrack to narrative film
- Soundtrack to digital animation
- Soundtrack to games
- Student project – this can be any substantial work related to this course of study. It gives you the opportunity either to specialise by delving deeper into one of the areas explored in the previous projects, or to expand further by exploring other areas of music-media interaction, e.g. audio/video installation, multimedia performance, etc. Interdisciplinary collaborations are strongly encouraged and supported as far as possible.
- 2 labs, each with 36 workstations Apple Intel dual monitor
- Large state-of-the-art recording studio with latest SSL AWS 900+ SE
- Studio with Yamaha 02R/96
- 3 monitoring spaces for surround sound
- Dubbing suite for A/V work (foley, ADR, etc.)
- Anechoic chamber
- Film & TV studio
- 460-seat state-of-the-art performance venue with HD A/V recording facilities
- Top class outboard equipment including Digidesign Pro Tools, Lexicon TLAudio, TC Electronic, Focusrite, and more.
- Vast selection of top-quality microphones, including Neumann, AKG, Shure, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic.
[[Graduate Successes ]]
Sebastien Crossley graduated in 2010, and is currently composing for a new sitcom to be broadcast on Channel 4.
Chris Barn, graduated in 2012, is currently composing for Chanel 4's Random Acts, with poet Benjamin Zephaniah.
Jamie Stonehouse graduated in 2014 and is now employed as an assistant composer and audio engineer at media company Urban Soul Orchestra.
Graduates from this pathway will be ideally positioned to pursue a career in the thriving field of acoustic/electroacoustic composition for film, television, radio, new media, and performing arts. You may, in addition, consider positions in music publishing, music journalism and criticism, teaching or you may continue your higher education at doctoral level.
Lecture, seminars and tutorials are typically scheduled over two consecutive days a week, plus some extra sessions for particular workshops, performance, recording, as necessary. In addition to scheduled sessions, students are expected to engage in continuous self-directed study and studio practice.
Skillset Media Academy
Find out how to apply here http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/music-composition-for-film-and-media#how-to-apply
Find information on Scholarships here http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-funding/scholarships/postgraduate
A Bachelor Degree in Music / Music Technology or equivalent professional experience. Applications should be accompanied by a small sample of your compositions/productions submitted in digital format: scores (if any) can be attached to your online application as PDF; for audio and video material, please upload your work on any hosting website (e.g. Soundcloud, MySpace, Vimeo, Youtube, etc.) and provide links in your personal statement attached too your application.
UK/EU Students: Full time £7,700, Part time £645 per module; International Students: Full time £12,500