We would welcome enquiries and an application from you if you are interested in full or part-time study for MPhil/PhD degrees in psychology. We carry out high quality scientific research in psychology that moves theory forward while informing applied settings.
You will initially enrol onto the MPhil degree and after completing the first year of the MPhil, your progress will be reviewed and if considered satisfactory, permitted to transfer to the PhD for a further two to three years of research. If you do not wish to continue at this point, you may write up and submit the work to be considered for an MPhil degree. We will provide you with two supervisors, who will guide you through the research.
The aims of the programme are:
- To develop, create and interpret new knowledge through original research or other advanced scholarship of a quality to satisfy peer review, extend the forefront of the discipline, and merit publication.
- To acquire an understanding of a substantial body of knowledge in psychology.
Visit the website http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/courses/pg/res/psychphd
What you'll study
- Thesis (Including formal defence of research thesis)
- Various online (Moodle) courses for research students and university-level courses for research students (including Research Methods and Teaching)
- Students may also be required to attend courses on Advanced Research Methods and Advanced Statistics.
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
- Postgraduate finance pages (http://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/pg
- International students' finance pages (http://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/international
Students are assessed through their thesis and viva.
Graduates from this programme can pursue careers in research as well as teaching in further and higher education and other opportunities in both public and private sectors.
Find out how to apply here - http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/apply
A first degree in psychology or a relevant subject, normally 2.1 or above. A Master's degree is an additional advantage.