This programme will deliver a highly regarded professional education in real estate. It has been developed in close consultation with the relevant professional, policy and business communities and is intended to provide an intensive fast-track entry to a professional career.
• MSc: 12 months full-time; 24 months part-time, up to 60 months on modular basis
• Contact: [email protected]
• If you plan a career as a chartered surveyor, primarily as a member of the Commercial Property or Valuation or Property Finance and Investment Professional Groups of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), this programme is made for you.
• The programme is professionally accredited by the RICS.
• There is significant input from industry to our teaching programme, including teaching on some courses, guest lectures and seminars. There are also informal opportunities to meet people from industry at open events and recruitment presentations. We will also support you to arrange professional work placements.
You will take a series of core courses, choose optional courses and undertake a dissertation or a major project in real estate.
The core semester 1 courses are multi-disciplinary in nature and use lectures, seminars, tutorials and cases studies to focus on the urban development and planning theories, principles and policies which are necessary for you to build a thorough understanding of how urban areas and economics function. In addition, you will gain an appreciation of real estate values and apply valuation and appraisal principles and techniques in practice-based activities.
In semester 2 you will build on this knowledge base by developing core real estate skills, using project, IT lab, field and team work activities and assessments.
• Advanced real estate valuation and appraisal
• Development economics
• Development process
• Global cities
• Governance and markets
• Professional practice, ethics & management
• Real estate markets
• Real estate finance & investment
• Real estate valuation and appraisal.
• International real estate markets
• International corporate finance
• Strategic real estate management.
Background and Aims
The MSc in Real Estate is intended to prepare students for a career as a chartered property surveyor and member of the RICS.
"These degree programmes recognise that the real estate sector is now an integral part of a sophisticated and diverse business community and will ensure that the best talent, with the right skills, is available to the property industry." Douglas Smith, Chairman of CB Richard Ellis Scotland
The MSc in Real Estate is now one of eight MSc degrees taught within the Real Estate, Planning and Regeneration (REPR) MSc Programme. These innovative programmes were initially launched in September 2006 by Urban Studies, which is widely recognised as one of Europe's leading centres of urban research, following close consultation with the relevant professional, policy and business communities and has been widely welcomed by leading professions in the field. It is intended to provide an intensive fast-track entry to professional qualifications for well-motivated, high-quality postgraduate students.
Alongside the main programme we also offer a Postgraduate Certificate in Real Estate and Postgraduate Certificate in Spatial Planning, primarily for CPD students.
As a graduate you will be in possession of an MSc degree recognised by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and can develop your career as a chartered surveyor.
Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject.Applicants with a lower second Honours degree may be accepted, if warranted by strong references and/or relevant work experience.International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of foundation courses.