This intensive programme in Russian Language for graduates in other subjects who already possess basic proficiency in Russian but require a more extensive grounding in the language specifically for the purpose of conducting social scientific research dealing with Russia and/or the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
• PgDip: 12 months full-time;
• Contact: [email protected]
• During 2012–2016 students going abroad under the programme will be eligible to apply for partial financial support in the form of competitive bursaries offered by the University’s Centre for Russian, Central and East European Studies (CRCEES).
• It uses online and distance resources as well as classroom teaching and includes a period of study at a language school in Russia.
• Overall the programme is designed to enable students to acquire sufficient linguistic knowledge and translating skills to be able to read and retrieve information from a variety of texts in the original language, including those related to social sciences, and to deepen their existing knowledge of Russian realia.
The Diploma provides a substantial programme in Russian Language for graduates who already possess basic proficiency in Russian but require a more extensive grounding in the language specifically for the purposes of conducting social scientific research dealing with Russia and / or the CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States).
This programme provides students with blended (class room and distance) intermediate-level Russian language tuition over 2 semesters of study. Students will also benefit from a dedicated period of study abroad at a partner institution in the Russian Federation or other country where Russian is spoken as part of the Certificate Course in Russian for Social Scientists.
• Certificate course in Russian for Social Scientists
• Analysis of Russian Social Science Text
• Intermediate Russian Language
The content of this programme combines three layers – linguistic, cultural and socio-political which gives the student multifaceted language skills and knowledge about the country and the people. These skills are to be developed through a variety of different learning activities and assessment tasks: classroom sessions, elements of distance learning, interactive Moodle exercises and self-study.
Those who have completed the course have gone into teaching, commerce, financial services, translating, postgraduate study and other occupations.
Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.