This programme provides you with a detailed understanding of the global real estate industry and modern business principles, techniques and contextual conditions. The programme is tailored for those who anticipate a career with international professional real estate service advisers or corporate real estate management.
• MSc: 12 months full-time; 24 months part-time, up to 60 months on modular basis
• Contact: [email protected]
• If you want to establish a career as a chartered surveyor, primarily as a member of the Management Consultancy or Commercial Property Professional Groups of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), this programme is designed for you.
• You will understand how real estate can support the core activities of any organisation and enable you to make informed financial decisions through the application of real estate valuation and appraisal techniques.
• There is significant input from industry in shaping our programme, including teaching on some courses, guest lectures and seminars. There are also informal opportunities to meet people from industry at open events and recruitment presentations. We will also support you in arranging professional work placements.
• The programme is professionally accredited by the RICS.
You will take a series of core courses and optional courses, and undertake a dissertation or a major project in real estate.
Core courses in semester 1 are multi-disciplinary in nature and use lectures, seminars, tutorials and cases studies to focus on the urban development and planning theories, principles and policies. These are necessary for you to build a thorough understanding of how urban areas and economics function. In addition, you will gain an appreciation of real estate values and apply valuation and appraisal principles and techniques in practice-based activities.
In semester 2, activities and assessments, field and team work, in addition to project and IT lab skills will further develop your core real estate and management skills.
• Advanced real estate valuation and appraisal
• Development process
• International real estate analysis
• Managing strategic change
• Professional practice, ethics and management
• Project management
• Real estate valuation and appraisal
• Real estate markets
• Strategic real estate management.
• Development economics
• Marketing management
• Operations management
• Real estate finance and investment.
Background and Aims
The MSc in International Real Estate & Management is intended to prepare students for a career as a chartered surveyor working in corporate real estate management and member of the RICS.
The MSc in International Real Estate & Management is now one of eight MSc degrees taught within the suite of Real Estate, Planning and Regeneration (REPR) MSc Programmes. These innovative programmes were initially launched in September 2006 by Urban Studies, which is widely recognised as one of Europe's leading centres of urban research, following close consultation with the relevant professional, policy and business communities and has been widely welcomed by leading professions in the field. It is intended to provide an intensive fast-track entry to professional qualifications for well-motivated, high-quality postgraduate students.
Alongside the main programme we also offer a Postgraduate Certificate in Real Estate and Postgraduate Certificate in Spatial Planning, primarily for CPD students.
There is a high demand for corporate real estate managers who can act on their own initiative, make decisive financial decisions, show leadership potential and adapt to changing circumstances. As a graduate of this programme, these are the kind of attributes we would expect you to possess.
You should have at least a 2:1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent (e.g. a GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant degree. Students will be considered from a variety of backgrounds such as social sciences, arts and humanities in addition to more quantitative subjects (e.g. engineering and maths). Applicants with a lower second Honours degree may be accepted, if warranted by strong references and/or relevant work experience.