This programme will deliver a highly regarded professional education in city planning and real estate development. It has been developed in close consultation with the relevant professional, policy and business communities and is intended to provide an intensive fast-track entry to a professional career.
• MSc: 12 months full-time; 24 months part-time, up to 60 months on modular basis
• Contact: [email protected]
• If you want to establish a career as a chartered town planner and/or chartered surveyor, this programme is designed for you.
• The programme is professionally accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
• There is significant input from industry to our teaching programme, including teaching on some courses, guest lectures and seminars. There are also informal opportunities to meet people from industry at open events and recruitment presentations. We will also support you to arrange professional work placements.
You will take a series of core courses and undertake a dissertation or a major project in planning and real estate development.
Core courses provide you with a grounding in core knowledge and skills required of planners and surveyors working within the planning and development field. Subjects covered include planning and real estate development processes, real estate economics, valuation and development appraisal, spatial planning strategies.
• Contemporary planning systems
• Designing places
• Development economics
• Development process
• Global cities
• Governance and markets
• Professional practices, ethics and management
• Spatial planning strategies
• Real estate markets
• Real estate valuation and appraisal.
Background and Aims
The MSc in City Planning & Real Estate Development is intended to prepare students for a career as a chartered town planner and/or chartered surveyor, as a member of the RTPI and/or the Planning and Development Professional Group of the RICS.
"These degree programmes recognise that the real estate sector is now an integral part of a sophisticated and diverse business community and will ensure that the best talent, with the right skills, is available to the property industry."
Douglas Smith, Chairman of CB Richard Ellis Scotland
It is now one of eight MSc degrees taught within the Real Estate, Planning and Regeneration (REPR) MSc Programme. These innovative programmes were initially launched in September 2006 by Urban Studies, which is widely recognised as one of Europe's leading centres of urban research, following close consultation with the relevant professional, policy and business communities and has been widely welcomed by leading professions in the field. It is intended to provide an intensive fast-track entry to professional qualifications for well-motivated, high-quality postgraduate students.
Alongside the main programme we also offer a Postgraduate Certificate in Real Estate and Postgraduate Certificate in Spatial Planning, primarily for CPD students.
As a graduate you will be in possession of an MSc degree recognised by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). You can develop your career as a chartered town planner, chartered surveyor, or both.
Courses are assessed by a mix of continuous methods to enable you to develop a suitable balance of planning and real estate development competencies. They will involve you attending lectures, seminars and tutorials and taking part in project, IT lab, field and team work.
Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject.Applicants with a lower second Honours degree may be accepted, if warranted by strong references and/or relevant work experience.International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of foundation courses.