The PG Diploma in Russian Language provides an intensive programme in Russian Language for graduates in other subjects who would find an extensive knowledge of Russian an asset in their chosen field.
• PgDip: 12 months full-time;
• Contact: [email protected]
• During 2012–2016 students going abroad under the programme will be eligible to apply for partial financial support in the form of competitive bursaries offered by the University’s Centre for Russian, Central and East European Studies (CRCEES).
• The programme caters for those who have no prior knowledge of the language and uses online and distance resources as well as classroom teaching and includes a period of study at a language school in Russia.
The programme is designed as preparation for employment related to Russia or the Russian-speaking countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS); or research activities in history, sociology, politics, economy that deal with Russia and CIS-related themes. Those students who intend to work in Russia or need Russian in relation to their work will receive appropriate provision of language in connection with their specific area-based knowledge.
This programme is designed in a blended (classroom and distance learning) format. It comprises classroom teaching; tuition via internet media as well as intensive use of Moodle based interactive exercises and tests. It makes full use of dedicated text books, printed and internet media. Students will also benefit from a dedicated period of study abroad at a partner institution which is a part of the course in Russian Language.
The content of this programme combines three layers – linguistic, cultural and socio-political which gives the student multifaceted language skills and knowledge about the country and the people.
These skills are to be developed through a variety of different learning activities and assessment tasks: classroom sessions, elements of distance learning, interactive Moodle exercises and self-study.
• Russian for Social Scientists (Beginners)
• Certificate course in Russian Language
• Writing project on Russia.
Those who have completed the course have gone into teaching, commerce, financial services, translating, postgraduate study and other occupations.
Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.