This is an intensive programme for graduates in other subjects who already possess basic proficiency in Russian but require a more thorough grounding in the language specifically for the purpose of conducting social scientific research dealing with Russia and/or the Commonwealth of Independent States.
• PgCert: 9 months full-time;
• Contact: [email protected]
• During 2012–2016 students going abroad under the programme will be eligible to apply for partial financial support in the form of competitive bursaries offered by the University’s Centre for Russian, Central and East European Studies (CRCEES).
• You will undertake a period of study abroad at a partner institution where Russian is spoken.
• Suitable for graduates in other subjects who already possess basic proficiency in Russian.
This programme combines classroom and distance tuition in intermediate-level Russian language over two semesters. Students are also ordinarily expected to undertake a designated period of study abroad at a partner institution in the Russian Federation or another country where Russian is spoken.
You will acquire sufficient linguistic knowledge and translating skills to be able to read and retrieve information from a variety of texts in the original language, including those related to social sciences, and to deepen your existing knowledge of Russian realia.
The programme comprises four discrete elements or blocks, imparting grammar, reading, translation and oral skills
1.Classroom teaching at Glasgow
2.Online live communication with teacher
3.Interactive activities, exercises and tests placed on the programme Moodle site
4.Intensive teaching block at the partner institution abroad in Semester 2.
Students who have completed the programme have gone into teaching, commerce, financial services, translating, postgraduate study and other occupations.
Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are normally a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.