The MA Education is designed to enhance your professional practice and help you make improvements which will make a positive difference either within the classroom or your particular work environment.
Highly flexible, it caters for educators with a diverse range of experience, development needs, and study requirements. It is suitable for teachers, those in leadership or policy-making roles, and other practitioners working in education or related settings.
Special Educational Needs (SEN)
This MA will enable you to explore concepts, approaches and issues relevant to the teaching and learning of students with special educational needs and disabilities. It is suitable for educators working with learners of all ages in specialist or mainstream education. One module includes practical school visits and a two-week experiential placement.
The syllabus may include:
* Legislation and policy – SEN classifications; statutory assessments; implications of new legislation; international context
* Types of need – including learning difficulties, behavioural difficulties, specific learning needs (e.g. dyslexia, numeracy, literacy), sensory and physical needs, communication difficulties
* Theory and practice – current thinking in relation to need, intervention, diagnosis and assessment; models of learning; curriculum models; personalisation and differentiation; and design and evaluation of materials
* Inclusive education – main concepts including integration, segregation, exclusion; international perspectives
* Teaching and learning – appropriate approaches depending on need
* Collaboration and support systems – including role of SENCO, peers, teaching assistants, support staff and pupil participation
* Systems and management of SEN – models of provision; the role of special schools; national agencies; voluntary groups
* Practical school experience – observations on practice, curriculum and teaching
The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand, please see the website for a current list of modules available http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/education/educationma/modules/