Based on the University’s St Luke’s campus we are leaders in Initial Teacher Education. Consistently graded Outstanding by OFSTED, and ranked amongst the top three university providers of initial teacher training in the Good Teacher Training Guide.
* 6th in the UK for world leading and internationally excellent research in Education (REF2014) and influencer of national education policy
* Ranked amongst the top five university providers of initial teacher training in the Good Teacher Training Guide 2015
* Consistently recognised by Ofsted and the National College for Teaching & Leadership as an outstanding provider of Primary and Secondary initial teacher education
* Excellent graduate employment statistics, with 93 per cent of PGCE trainees who achieved QTS in the 2013-14 cohort securing a teaching post within a year of completion
* Very high student satisfaction with 93 per cent of our former trainees rating our provision of training as good or very good (NQT survey 2014)
* Partnership arrangements with over 250 schools
Fantastic choice of PGCE programmes making Exeter one of the 10 largest PGCE providers in the UK
A leader in the provision of phonics training and the South West Centre for the Cambridge Primary Review Network
Home to one of the largest education libraries in the UK
The University modules are designed to give you experience of all the subjects you will be expected to teach for your specified age range.
The Primary Programme
If you are applying to the Primary programme you can specify a specialist subject from the options shown below. We also offer ‘Primary Teaching and Learning’, which is a generalist route. Specialist studies is a real advantage when beginning your career as a teacher and is unique to the Exeter Primary PGCE programme.
Specialist subjects available for ages 5-11 are:
• Primary Teaching and Learning
• Upper Primary Art
These specialisms prepare our trainees to become curriculum coordinators, a distinct advantage as they begin their career in teaching. Applicants therefore need to specify their chosen specialism and entry requires sufficient subject knowledge in that subject area. Find out more about these specialisms on our website http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/education/pgce/primarypgce/specialisms/
The Secondary Programme
The Exeter Secondary PGCE programme trains you to teach the 11-18 age range. All coursework is designed to provide engaging and varied opportunities for you to develop the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to achieve Qualified Teacher Status ( QTS).
Dependent upon your degree subject, you can choose to teach; Find out more about these specialisms at the website http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/education/pgce/secondarypgce/
- Modern Languages (French, German, Spanish)
- Physical Education
- Religious Education
- Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Biology with Psychology)
Find out more about these specialisms at the website http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/education/pgce/secondarypgce/