• This course is accredited by the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK (ADMPUK), so you'll become a fully registered dance movement therapist with the ADMPUK
• You'll develop the skills you need to support the health and well-being of vulnerable people, so it's a really rewarding course to choose
• This course will give you dance movement psychotherapy training and a licence to practice, as well as giving you an academic qualification at masters level
• We will support you during your placement to make sure that you're ready for your career in dance movement psychotherapy when you graduate
• You will be given the opportunity to undertake CPD training in Zero Balancing body work. This concerns the cultivation of sensitivity to the structure and energy of the body.
About the course:
The programme gives you solid experience of clinical dance movement therapy practice, supervision and work in education, as well as further closed group work. The main emphasis is on your work in a clinical environment and using creative skills to explore self-expression. You will be allocated a personal tutor who'll be responsible for monitoring your overall progress. As well as taught components, you'll be required to engage in personal therapy as this is a requirement for professional registration. This is a private arrangement and the cost is not included in the fees. Individual or group therapy is acceptable.
This course is accredited by the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK, so you can be confident that you'll be learning the most up to date thinking on dance movement psychotherapy.
During the course you'll build up your experience of clinical dance movement therapy, and use your creative skills to explore self-expression.
It's important to understand the history of dance movement psychotherapy from the early pioneers through to the current thinking. You'll cover concepts such as the theory and practice of the art form and the importance of improvisation, creativity and play. You'll also use and reflect on psychotherapeutic theory, while considering the implications for placement and practice. Because anatomy and physiology are essential to your understanding of movement and its relevance for psychotherapy, you'll also explore this during the course.
We've excellent facilities including our new dance studio, and have close links with Déda, the Derby dance centre.
You'll be allocated a personal tutor who will be responsible for monitoring your overall progress. As well as the taught components, you'll need to take part in personal therapy throughout the course, which can be individual or group therapy, because this is a requirement for professional registration as a dance movement psychotherapist.
You'll need to undertake health screening at the start of the course to monitor your fitness to practice.
An undergraduate degree (lower second or above) or equivalent, and at least two years’ experience of dance and movement. You’ll need enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance. For international students it is the same requirements as above (equivalent international qualifications). You’ll also need to hold an IELTS of 7.0.
2014/2015 fees were £755 per 20 credit module. Please check our website for the latest information.
Recipient: University of Derby
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here