• This is the only distance learning MSc Hand Therapy course in the UK which will give you the flexibility to study the course from home on a part time basis so you can stimulate the development of your own learning.
• You can study this course as part of your personal and professional development, allowing you to develop in areas of hand therapy that interest and matter to you.
• In the latest Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey, 95% of students were satisfied with the overall quality of the course, while 100% of students felt the course enhanced their academic ability and better prepared them for their future career.
• If you complete specific modules within the course you'll be eligible to apply to the British Association of Hand Therapists(BAHT) for accreditation as a BAHT accredited hand therapist when you graduate.
• You'll be taught by a highly experienced teaching team who are actively involved in hand therapy research so you can be sure you'll be learning all the latest theories and developments.
About the course:
This course is for qualified occupational therapists and physiotherapists working in the field of hand therapy. You don't need to be working in hand therapy full time but a proportion of your work needs to be within hand therapy.
Building on the skills you will have gained in your own professional practice, this course enables you to continue learning, evaluating, maintaining and developing services for hand therapy both now and in the future. The course is divided into the Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters stage but you can choose to study as little as one module which would contribute to your continued professional development.
You'll find that the course is flexible to suit you and fit around your other commitments, but what you learn will still be challenging and interesting. During the course you'll be able to:
• Develop your ability to critically evaluate and reflect on your own practice in hand therapy • Critically review the theory which underpins hand therapy • Contribute to the body of knowledge about hand therapy • Develop your understanding of research methods and research skills • Develop yourself personally and professionally • Make improvements in clinical practice and research into hand therapy.
Our teaching team will also give you the full support and help you'll need with your studies. You can get tutorial support by email, telephone or face-to-face depending on what suits you best. As a distance learning student you will have access to our libraries with an extensive range of journals and online resources which will help you with your self directed learning.
MSc Hand Therapy
page on the University of Derby website for more details!
"I found the MSc Hand Therapy course provided me with the structure to learn more about my chosen specialty and the need to submit assignments ensured that I was disciplined in my learning.
The MSc workload was hard work and required dedication and commitment as the pressures on time were considerable. However, as the course progressed I found that my writing and critical thinking skills improved and that I actually enjoyed the challenge of investigating and debating the literature.
I found the staff and study days very helpful, but as the course is delivered through distance learning I found that I had to learn from my mistakes and be proactive in seeking help when I needed it.
The course has taught me alot and has resulted in many positive changes within my workplace and within my own practice. I'm looking forward to putting the skills I learnt into practice by undertaking a research project within my workplace."
The practical module has given me the opportunity to enhance my practical skills and clinical reasoning as well as providing me with a valuable opportunity to gain peer support for overall learning and share experiences of the MSc.
"The practice module is a contribution to own practice in hand therapy. Especially the exchange of knowledge and experiences with fellow students which is meaningful as well as a lot of fun. The module helps you to make improvements in clinical practice and in research skills."
"MSc Hand Therapy has changed my practice for good. I have developed and learnt critical appraisal skills and can now confidently evaluate every aspect of my practice, so as to get the best evidence available. I have also gained more knowledge and skills in the clinical area of hand therapy. I found the staff very helpful and was able to communicate with them whenever I needed the support with my learning."
An undergraduate degree (lower second or above), a diploma in occupational therapy or physiotherapy, or equivalent. You’ll also need to currently work in existing practice including anatomy and the field of hand therapy and you’ll need to hold at least a grade C in GCSE English.
If you are based in the East Midlands you may be eligible for Learning Beyond Registration (LBR) funding. Check our website for the latest information
Recipient: University of Derby
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here