• If you're an advanced practitioner who is involved with high level decision making and problem solving tasks, then this course will help you to increase your knowledge and improve your practice.
• This course is flexible as many of the modules are available through distance learning, so you can study at a time and place to suit you.
• We've developed this course to meet your professional and personal developmental needs, so you can be sure it's relevant to you.
• You'll explore the complexity of advanced practice by working on specific areas of your clinical practice and leadership.
• You can study individual modules as standalone courses to help you to increase your confidence and skills, and as part of your continued professional development.
About the course:
If you're a professional working within health care practice, in particular nursing or professions linked to medicine and service improvement, this course has been developed for you. We've developed this course to comply with Department of Health Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF).
It's been designed in partnership with NHS colleagues from within the East Midlands and appropriate national bodies in osteoporosis, falls, ultrasound and service development to ensure you'll receive learning that has direct benefit to service delivery, the enhancement of patient care and the future development of the NHS. The education and training of a high quality NHS workforce and the future development of your skills is essential to the success of the modern health service and this course will assure your learning and will enhance your expertise within the future NHS.
The programme consists of six interim awards:
• Postgraduate Certificate in Osteoporosis and Falls Management • Postgraduate Certificate in Bone Densitometry Reporting • Postgraduate Certificate in Leadership for Healthcare Improvement • Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma in Advanced Practice • Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma in Medical Ultrasound
The course is flexible and can be tailored to suit your personal development and the service needs of your manager or employer. As a result you can be sure that the learning will add value to your role and to your further professional career aspirations. If you currently work within the East Midlands area you'll be able to access this course through the Learning Beyond Registration (LBR) pathway. If you work outside the East Midlands you're also encouraged to apply.
In my role as community matron at Staffa Health I work with patients with complex long term conditions, offering advanced health assessment with the aim of developing patient-led management plans. The purpose of the Community Matron role is to provide proactive management for the patient group and to ultimately reduce inappropriate acute admissions to hospital.
In addition to the ‘hands on’ aspect of the job the role also requires a strategic overview, particularly having an understanding of health economics and governance within the NHS.
The MSc in Advanced Practice have provided me with a sound basis on which to progress my knowledge within my role. The Advanced Assessment, Diagnostics and Mental Health modules have facilitated my development in practical areas developing in-depth specialist knowledge. Modules such as Organisational Wide Approaches to Quality and Work Based Learning have helped me to gain a wider understanding of the political issues which can impact on health. This knowledge has empowered me to challenge established practices on the patients’ behalf, and to be instrumental in making changes to the delivery of healthcare to improve provision; an example of this being the Virtual Ward project at Staffa Health.
The knowledge which I have acquired through all of these modules have contributed to my ongoing development within my role whilst helping me to work towards the target of proactively managing and improving the care of patients with long term conditions.
"Online way of learning is fantastic. I can work and learn something new and also advance my practice when it's convenient."
"This course allows for a flexible approach to masters level study, which sits well with juggling a full time career and family."
An undergraduate degree or equivalent, such as professional healthcare qualification, with appropriate post-registration experience. For some pathways, you will also need to be able to get relevant practice experience.International students: Some parts of this course are available to international students. Please see our website for further details.
Recipient: University of Derby
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here