• If you would like to teach post-14 learners in the Further Education (FE) and Skills Sector, then this course is for you
• We were rated 'Outstanding' in our most recent Ofsted inspection for the training and assessment of our trainees
• You’ll develop your teaching skills through a combination of practical teaching experiences and theoretical learning and discussions
• Our teaching team have an excellent reputation for the quality of their training and research
• You can choose to specialise in teaching English: Literacy, Maths, Engineering*, or teaching learners with disabilities by undertaking our PGCE Post-14 with Specialism. If you choose to specialise you may be entitled to a bursary, depending on your degree classification.
About this course:
Our course is a postgraduate teaching course that will enable you to apply for Qualified Teacher of Learning and Skills (QTLS) via the Education and Training Foundation (formerly the Institute for Learning). The course will thoroughly prepare you for the practical demands of teaching in the FE & Skills sector within one academic year and will also provide you with 60 credits at masters level.
The practical, hands-on approach we offer will allow you to explore the full range of roles carried out by qualified teaching staff through work placements. You will be allocated a mentor from the teaching team at the University, as well as a subject specific mentor on placement.
You will also complete an alternative placement in a different setting which you are expected to have fulfilled before the course starts. This information will be relayed to you on pre-induction. If you are interested in focusing on English: Literacy, Maths, Engineering* or in teaching disabled learners, we also offer a PGCE Post-14 with Specialism (English: Literacy, Maths, or Teaching Learners with Disabilities) course. *Our Engineering pathway is currently subject to validation for September 2016 entry.