This programme offers you the opportunity to advance your practice through selection of a profile of modules that meet your personal development needs and aspirations. Modules are designed to facilitate your capability to undertake a range of roles, for example, specialist, extended scope or consultant and developing roles. They will also appeal to those involved in service development or role redesign.
The programme has a clinical focus and offers flexible learning for physiotherapists. We have developed the programme further by including the opportunity to undertake clinical placements overseas, enabling us to meet the needs of international students. Opportunities will be available for participants to evaluate their current practice and undertake learning experiences that advance their capability as a practitioner.
Why study this course?
The Advancing Physiotherapy Practice Masters programme offers you:
- The opportunity to work within a multidisciplinary student cohort
- The support of a personal tutor and dissertation supervisor
- The chance to tailor the programme to your own individual learning needs
- A research led environment with opportunities for diverse dissertation projects
- Flexible study which can be organised around your other commitments
On completion of the programme you will have:
- The ability to critically evaluate approaches and methodologies appropriate for researching theoretical and practical issues relating to clinical practice
- The ability to critically evaluate previous professional development and plan future development within the framework of contemporary healthcare practice
- Specialist clinical practice at an advanced level within a work based setting for those opting to complete the clinical programme
- The ability to promote, lead and develop best practice within their field
- The ability to formulate a justifiable research design and conduct analytically an investigation to address a problem relevant to their practice
- The ability to produce a written report worthy of scrutiny in both academic and clinical settings
About the School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences
We are one of the top-rated sport science departments in the UK. Our School of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences is one of the longest established in Europe for scientific research into sport, exercise, health and rehabilitation.
We are proud to be at the forefront of the rapid development of this academic discipline. Our school has achieved an outstanding performance in the Research Excellence Framework 2014 (REF 2014) with 90 percent of its research classified as world leading or internationally excellent, putting us in the top three for research in the sector. These results provide further compelling evidence of the long recognised research strength of Sport and Exercise Sciences at the University of Birmingham
Thanks to a £16.4 million investment, Birmingham boasts the largest custom built Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences facility in the UK.
This includes teaching and research laboratories for physiology, biochemistry, psychophysiology, biomechanics, sport psychology, motor skills, immunology, muscle mechanics and the neurophysiology of movement.
Funding and Scholarships
There are many ways to finance your postgraduate study at the University of Birmingham
. To see what funding and scholarships are available, please visit: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/pgfunding
Learn more about fees and funding here: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/pgt-fees/index.aspx
Explore postgraduate study at Birmingham at our on-campus open days.
Register to attend at: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/pgopendays
Virtual Open Days
If you can’t make it to one of our on-campus open days, our virtual open days run regularly throughout the year. For more information, please visit: http://www.pg.bham.ac.uk