The MRes in Educational Studies is a combined programme consisting of a taught element and a research element. The taught element consists of a number of core modules which are taken from the Doctoral Research Training programme. You will then complete a 20,000 words research dissertation.
With over 100 lecturing and research staff and dedicated research centres, our School of Education is one of the largest research-led schools of education in the UK with a distinguished reputation for excellence in our research and teaching practice both nationally and internationally. We have a history of 5 star rated research and in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), 81% of our work was recognised as being of international quality. In addition, the University is one of only 12 UK institutions to have been awarded 'Doctoral Training Centre' status by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the UK funding body for social sciences.
About the School of Education
The School of Education has a long-standing reputation as a centre of excellence for teaching and research in a wide range of areas of educational practice and policy. It is an international leader in education with a history of top rated research. In the 2016 QS World Rankings, it was ranked 28th in the World and joint 7th in Europe/UK.
The School employs over 100 academic staff who teach more than 2,500 students. It is home to a number of departments and research centres with a history of top rated research and is an international leader in education.
School of Education ranking:
- Ranked 6th in the Guardian University League Tables 2017
- Ranked 10th in the 2017 Complete University Guide
- In Top 3 for HEI provision in the Good Teacher Training Guide
- Ranked 28th in the World in the 2016 QS World Rankings
- Ranked 9th overall for Research in the 2014 REF (with more than 82% of research rated as ‘internationally excellent’ (3*) or ‘world leading’ (4*).
- Rated 'outstanding' in latest Ofsted inspection (2013) for its Teacher Training programmes
- Ranked third for Education in The Times Good University Guide 2017
Funding and Scholarships
There are many ways to finance your postgraduate study at the University of Birmingham
. To see what funding and scholarships are available, please visit: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/pgfunding
Explore postgraduate study at Birmingham at our on-campus open days.
Register to attend at: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/pgopendays
Virtual Open Days
If you can’t make it to one of our on-campus open days, our virtual open days run regularly throughout the year. For more information, please visit: http://www.pg.bham.ac.uk