This exciting course combines an in-depth study of leading-edge media technology with hands-on experience of film production and film-making.
Whether you dream of being a cinematographer, studio camera operator or a film editor, this course will give you an excellent grounding in both the theory and the practice of media technology.
You will enjoy realistic opportunities to engage with the industry - during your studies you will be visiting leading post-production facilities in London in order to develop your professional network and gain first-hand experience of what life as a professional is really like.
Intermediate qualifications available:
- Postgraduate certificate – 60 credits at Masters level
- Postgraduate diploma – 120 credits at Masters level
Choose Digital Film Technologies and Production MSc at Bedfordshire and:
- Study a specialist course in digital film technologies, taught by an experienced team of industry professionals including acclaimed film-makers and published scholars, which gives you the opportunity to focus on practical production and post-production techniques
- Explore production roles and the wider context of the contemporary film business through participating in media-related research seminars, events and conferences
- Develop your practical skills using our excellent media production facilities
- Gain in-depth knowledge of areas including: production roles and responsibilities; digital film production technologies; practical production techniques; insights and interviews; the film business; studio technologies and techniques; project development and practical post-production and digital effects
- Benefit from a degree that prepares you for roles in broadcasting, journalism, arts and the media, administration, governmental regulation of the media, research, marketing, sales and advertising, cinematography, editing, directing, and independent film production or allows you to continue to MPhil and PhD research degrees
Why choose this course?
This exciting MSc combines an in-depth study of leading edge media technology with hands-on experience of film production and filmmaking.
Candidates for the course will be expected to produce a DVD portfolio of digital film and other media work. Candidates should include at least two pieces of work in this portfolio submission.
Telephone interview -
Candidates will then be interviewed about how they produced the pieces in their DVD portfolio. Staff will then assess the prospective students aptitude and suitability for the course.
Candidates should have a first degree or a postgraduate qualification such as a Postgraduate Certificate in Media or equivalent qualifications in related subjects, such as Mass Communications, Communication Studies, English, Film and Literary Studies.
Career Management Skills
This course is ideal for students seeking a job in film related fields in areas such as production, programming, marketing and film administration. It provides an understanding of filmmaking in relation to commercial and cultural industries both global and in the UK.
Career/Further study opportunities
MSc Digital Film Technologies and Production will be of value to anyone seeking employment in the media. It is of particular value if you are seeking to develop a career in the technical aspects of film production or if you are seeking work within film or television. The project work on the course provides opportunities to make important industry contacts and develop specialist knowledge of specific areas of the digital film production. Furthermore, this degree will equip you with a range of important transferable skill. Typical areas that media graduates can expect to find work include broadcasting, journalism, arts and the media, administration, governmental regulation of the media, research, marketing, sales and advertising. We would expect successful graduates of this degree to be able to pursue a career in cinematography, editing, directing, and independent film production amongst other options.
Those who graduate from this MSc Course will be qualified to apply for MPhil and PhD research degrees at the University of Bedfordshire
and other HE Institutions.