This intellectually demanding professional development MA is designed to support you in becoming a more reflective teacher or youth/ community/performance sports coach, using intensive, compressed teaching time combined with flexible off-site guided learning to fit around your work in a school or youth sport setting.
It is research-led and research-informed, taught by world-leading academics, grounding the theoretical study of physical education and sport pedagogy in your practical workplace experience.
Intermediate qualifications available:
- Postgraduate certificate – 60 credits at Masters level
- Postgraduate diploma – 120 credits at Masters level
Visit the website: https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/courses/postgraduate/next-year/sport-pedagogy#about
• Study in a supportive and innovative environment, on a course covering a unique combination of topics designed to integrate with current physical education policy
• Explore opportunities to contribute in an enterprising and creative way to the field and practice of physical education and sport pedagogy
• Develop a high level of understanding of physical education practice and policy providing you with a basis for life-long learning and successful career development in your chosen professional area of physical education and sport pedagogy
• Gain from studying with staff with impressive backgrounds with nationally and internationally recognised research interests, as well as access to state-of-the-art facilities
• Benefit from a course designed to prepare you to work in a range of sport or education contexts, including physical education teaching; sports coaching (elite, performance, development and/or community); physical education teacher education; sport development or educational research and/or continue to further research-based study on MSc by research, MPhil or PhD programmes.
• Advanced Pedagogy
• Research Methods in Sport
• Occupational socialisation: critical perspectives on PETE
• Sport Pedagogy and Policy: theory in action
• Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy Dissertation
The programme’s assessment strategy underscores the course team’s concern with the sorts of critical investigations which are increasingly required to understand physical education and sport pedagogy. It places a premium upon research competency and independent critical thinking.
The assessment reflects the pedagogical importance of communication skills and requires students to communicate effectively orally, in writing and using technology. Students will be expected to engage in self and peer feedback in formative and presentation assessments.
Assessment types include:
• essays, reports, projects, dissertation (approx. 85%)
• oral and poster presentations (approx. 15%)
The course is designed around compressed, intensive contact days at the University and flexible off-site guided learning. This design allows you to gain the necessary experience to apply the theoretical concepts you are examining during your studies in an applied and contextualised manner while also allowing you to gain appropriate experience.
The course is designed to prepare you for work in sport or education sectors. Within these sectors we apply knowledge to a variety of contexts including physical education teaching; sports coaching (elite, performance, development and/or community); physical education teacher education; sport development; educational research
This course will provide the advanced knowledge and research training required for direct access to higher degrees by research (MPhil/ PhD).
For information on available funding, please follow the link: https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/money/scholarships/pg
How to apply
For information on how to apply, please follow the link: https://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/course/applicationform