Modern biotechnology is a hugely complex subject, and this course covers its key areas, helping you develop an advanced understanding of molecular and computational biology through to applied microbiology.
You will learn about the latest new technologies in these three areas, gain insights into how they are used in the global biotechnology industry, and discover how microbes can be used on an industrial scale to benefit humankind.
Choose Biotechnology MSc at Bedfordshire and:
- Study the latest developments in applied microbiology and computational biology in high-quality, broad-based classes taught by dedicated staff with research experience in specialist subject areas
- Explore the latest technologies in molecular biology and the industrial processes that are used to exploit microbes for specific products and applications
- Develop the ability to use information from relevant sources, and independently and critically evaluate current research and advanced scholarship
- Gain the ability to use assured, accurate and fluent language to present your work, and learn to develop graphs and images that clearly illustrate complex points
- Benefit from a wide knowledge base and the key transferable skills that will give you the opportunity to take your career to new heights.
Why choose this course?
This course will equip you with an understanding of how microbes are used on an industrial scale. An advanced understanding of molecular and computational biologies together with knowledge of microbiological techniques at the forefront of technology will equip you for a future in biotechnology or allied industries.
Career Management Skills
In addition to developing your specialist knowledge and understanding, there is a pervasive emphasis on developing your approach and attitude to working by emphasising and encouraging the professional standards expected by employers. This is supported by a departmental seminar programme that includes speakers from industry that are invited particularly to describe what is expected from potential and actual employees.
There University also has a programme of seminars and workshops designed to help you recognise and boost the attributes expected and appreciated by employers. This is supplemented by trips and visits as opportunities arise.
The University also has a programme of internal and external internships that provide excellent opportunities to gain additional work experience.
Career/Further study opportunities
On completing this course you are likely to progress into one of the following areas:
Research and development in industry, academia or government laboratories.
MSc by research a practical, research based masters degree.
PhD research in biotechnology or a related area. Many of our MSc Biotechnology graduates have gone on to PhD programmes within the University of Bedfordshire
, within other UK universities and at overseas institutions.
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree at Honours level or equivalent in a relevant science subject, such as medical, biomedical, pharmaceutical, biological, chemical, nutritional science or a related science subject. Applicants without this formal qualification but who have significant relevant work experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis; an interview with the course leader is required. International applications wills be assessed using UKVI and University of Bedfordshire
policy. Check English language requirements at: View Website