Busy medical professionals who wish to increase and develop their knowledge want courses that are flexible and adaptable, and this MA fulfils that need.
Each unit combines focused study days that range over a three month period, with interactive online learning and supported self-directed study.
You will have opportunities to concentrate on your work-related professional progression, develop a critical, analytic and reflective attitude to medical and healthcare education, and grow as a medical educator and leader.
Intermediate qualifications available:
- Postgraduate diploma – 120 credits at Masters level
- Postgraduate certificate – 60 credits at Masters level
Choose Medical Education MA at Bedfordshire and:
- Study the latest research, scholarship and practice, and learn to deal with complexity, contradictions and gaps in the current evidence base
- Explore the wide range of learning, teaching and assessment methods used across all levels of clinical education and training, and discover how to use these in practice
- Develop the skills, attitudes and practices of an excellent teacher, and an awareness of personal responsibility and professional codes of conduct
- Gain the capacity for innovation in education through the design, implementation and evaluation of a small scale education research, development or leadership project
- Benefit from studying with from a highly experienced, knowledgeable and accessible team who will encourage you to appraise your practice and address emerging development needs through independent and collaborative activities.
Why choose this course?
This course supports your development as medical educator, scholar and leader. It provides opportunities to develop your thinking and practice within a dynamic multi-disciplinary community of clinical educators. The course team model learner-centred teaching, learning and assessment practices. Assessments foster strong links between your learning and practice. You have the option to complete a year long, supervised Medical Education Research or Development Project in an area of professional interest.
Career Management Skills
The course develops the skills and practices of those who wish to enhance their capacity to fulfil educational role(s) in medical and other healthcare education contexts. By participating on this course you will be ideally placed to respond to current and future developments in educational policies and practices.
The PgCert courses that lead into the MA in Medical Education are accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators; they provide a sound basis for evidencing your competence as both a clinical and educational supervisor. The PgDip stage allows you to deepen your understandings and extend your skill set as a medical educator. The dissertation stage develops your scholarship and ability to independently design, implement and evaluate a medical education research or development project. Both projects position you to adopt a criticial stance to existing practice and lead improvements and innovation.
It is anticipated that graduates of the course are well prepared to assume named educational roles and responsibilities, including educational leadership responsibilities, albeit commensurate with experience.
Career/Further study opportunities
It is anticipated that students will continue to work within their place of current employment. Some students may move on to senior roles in education.
PgCert - http://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/courses/postgraduate/next-year/medical-education2
PgDip - http://www.beds.ac.uk/howtoapply/courses/postgraduate/next-year/medical-education3