The aim of the course is to provide experience in a wide range of laboratory techniques and enhance specialist knowledge in chemistry. Research projects may be chosen from any area of computational, physical, inorganic or organic chemistry.
Course components include:
• An advanced chemistry practical unit
• Two research projects in areas of choice
• Taught units in advanced chemistry
• Optional taught units in chemistry, biological sciences and management
• Modules in transferable skills, including scientific presentations and report writing.
Why study Chemistry with us?
- Outstanding facilities: X-ray powder diffraction, single crystal X-ray diffraction, Mass spectrometry, NMR (250/300/400/500 MHz, multinuclear facility)
- Programmes accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Outstanding publications, substantial grant income from research councils and industrial partners has resulted in a strong demand for our postgraduates and postdoctoral workers
What will I learn?
The MRes is a self-contained qualification, and graduates will be well-suited for posts in all sectors of the chemical industry, including the pharmaceutical industry and government institutions.
Students who complete a MRes degree will be well qualified to proceed to a three-year PhD programme or the MRes can be studied as the first year of our Integrated PhD programme. They should have a competitive edge in relation to undergraduate students applying for doctoral studies.
Recent Bath graduates have gone on to employment or postdoctoral research in the UK, USA (Princeton, Harvard and Yale), the Netherlands, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Brunei and New Zealand.
Employers include the NIST Center for Neutron Research, Tocris, EPSRC and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Find out more about the department here - http://www.bath.ac.uk/chemistry/
Find out how to apply here - http://www.bath.ac.uk/science/graduate-school/taught-programmes/how-to-apply/
First degree (UK 1st or 2:1 or international equivalent) in a relevant subject. IELTS 6.5 (at least 6.0 in each of the four components) or equivalent.